Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90666 Jul 15th, 2007 at 12:12 PM
OP Offline
Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm doing this right. I have several dogs that have torn up the grass in my back yard. I also foster dogs, so there's a lot of activity. Can anyone recommend a really tough grass or ground cover that has a chance with my, um, vigorous canines?

Thanks

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome to the forum. I like your screen name, TooManyDogs. It says it all.
I really cannot think of anything that would compete against dogs. My best suggestion would be to divide the space into two or more yards that you could alternate using to let growth recover. Not a perfect solution, I know.
I have a pair of foster dogs where the yard is divided between a grassy area and a mulched dog run area. I keep re-arranging the patio furniture just so they won't wear a path across the grass to the dog run area. That gate is never closed and they have the run of both yards but there will appear a path if I didn't do this.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Thank you - that's a good suggestion; unfortunately, my yard is pretty small, so I can't really divide it and still have enough room for the dogs to play. I wouldn't even mind just accepting that my back yard has gone to the dogs, so to speak, but now much of it is just dirt, so my dogs get filthy every time they go out, and they are very generous about spreading it around.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Ground ivy is so hard to get rid of and so proficient (pro-effecient?) at covering any amount of ground, its a weed though but I know some people who grow it for the flowers. Ground ivy, aka creeping charlie

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I did mention it was a mulched dog run. That keeps the dusty dirt down and the mud during rainy seasons from coming in with the pooches. But some mulch does find it's way in. It is easier to clean up than the dust though.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
I thought of ivy, but it's so invasive, and I would have a hard time finding... what I need to clean up after the dogs. I don't care if what I plant is pretty or anything, I just want something that will survive my marauding hoard. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

OP Offline
That makes sense. My yard is REALLY small, though. I guess if worse comes to worse, I could just mulch the whole yard. You make an excellent point that stray mulch beats the heck out of dust and dirt everywhere, especially since I'm such a lousy housekeeper! Maybe I should just put down astroturf.

Hello TMD,

I don't know of any form of grass seed that you could use in a smallish confined space that is used by lots of dogs - as you say their paws will tear up the lawn and, unless you catch them in the act and deal with it immediately, their natural 'bi-products'(?!) will do serious damage to the grass and roots. growing from seed wouldn't stand a chance and would be a waste of money to even try, and I'm not even sure that astro-turf is the answer. If I was you I'd be tempted to pave or concrete the whole area as that'll make it much neater and easier to clean (or get rid of some/all of the dogs!). You could still have some flowers in containers/hanging baskets.

Last edited by starfish; Jul 16th, 2007 at 05:20 AM.
Hi! There's a web site called Stepables http://www.stepables.com/ that deals with tough ground cover. I've been looking at it for a groundcover around my stepping stones. I'm not sure if it will survive your dogs, but it's worth a look.

Julianne

Julianne
OP Offline
Hey Juliane,

Thanks - great tip! I'm going to try to find a couple of things and see what survives. Wish me luck.

melindaregner
Unregistered
melindaregner
Unregistered
Originally Posted by TooManyDogs
Hey Juliane,

Thanks - great tip! I'm going to try to find a couple of things and see what survives. Wish me luck.

Exciting! grin
I was to say try getting wild grasses(isn't it wild already? anyways). I mean those grass which grows at vacant lawns and fields. They're tougher than cultured grasses, i guess.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image