A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Patty S Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 28th, 2005 at 09:01 AM
A few days ago in the House Plant forum, I replied to Mike "The Plant Doc" after he'd posted a cute excerpt from his radio talk show, concerning the do's and dont's of giving plants as gifts for Christmas. (See his post: "Plants as gifts!") In my reply I asked him if he thought that sprinkling body glitter on the leaves of Christmas gift plants, to make them look festive, would hurt them.
He sent me a PM in reply, which reads as follows:
I am not sure if putting body glitter on the plant will be that great of an idea or not. Even though it does sound very nice and showy, it may clog the pores in the leaves which will not allow it to transpire moisture. I don't know for sure and I am am just guessing on this one though.
Maybe a nice ribbon on a stick (stuck in the pot) and the glitter on the ribbon, and some foil wraped around the pot.
Mike Maier
The Plant Doc
I think he PM'd me, rather than posting his reply on the Forum, because he didn't know first-hand if the glitter would do any harm, which I can appreciate, but I've decided that his answer made sense, so I decided to share it with you all.

After thinking about it, I remember how hard it is to wash body glitter completely off a person , so maybe besides blocking the pores, just getting it all off the leaves would probably do even more damage to a plant!

So, here's what I decided to do:
[Linked Image]
(tiny ornaments-$1.00)
Thanx Mike, for making me think!

[Linked Image] OUCH!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 28th, 2005 at 09:57 AM
Patty.....I'm with you!!! I just hung some little ornaments all over my rubber plant in the kitchen...It looks pretty cool! thumbup
Posted By: comfrey Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 28th, 2005 at 12:38 PM
That is a really great idea Patty!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 12th, 2005 at 04:31 AM
Patty S, just who did you have to wash body glitter off us - you party girl you. wink

I never thought of decorating my house plants. Cute idea.
Posted By: Triss Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 12th, 2005 at 04:39 AM
What a great idea. I always get plants for Christmas that are meant to be around just for the season and never think to dress up what I already have on hand.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - October 1st, 2006 at 09:24 PM
so glad i looked at this. i'm going to try to get my plants "prettied" up for the holidats... now that i am actually messing with them again!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 24th, 2006 at 08:29 PM
One year I used my Ficus tree as my Christmas tree....I waited too long to go get one and they were all pitiful, so... VOILA!! A few lights, some ornaments....the kids loved it! (We had Doug's then 14 year old and Summer at the time) I may just do that this year to keep Mack from breaking the glass balls I have. idea
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 24th, 2006 at 10:18 PM
What a great idea Patty and it looks so cute~~!
Posted By: chenno Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 26th, 2006 at 05:49 AM
That looks very festive thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 26th, 2006 at 07:00 AM
My rubber tree is decked out again this year, I'll have to post a pic of it. thumbup
Posted By: chenno Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 26th, 2006 at 07:18 AM
Please do, I wanna see it;-)
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 28th, 2006 at 11:21 PM
Me too....pics please Loz!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 29th, 2006 at 06:02 AM
Yep I wanna see that too. I also want to see how yours looks compared to the one I am growing. Just to see what they look like all grwon up!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 30th, 2006 at 01:32 PM
I'll have a pic soon...my camera broke.... eek
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - November 30th, 2006 at 08:55 PM
Patty, that looks so festive!

Laura, maybe Santa will bring you a new camera this year...

Dianna
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 1st, 2006 at 06:00 AM
It's a good possibility! grinnnn
Posted By: chenno Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 2nd, 2006 at 12:31 AM
Hope so Loz:-)
Posted By: Tonya Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 11th, 2006 at 11:18 PM
Between Mackenna and Dodger- we have just about decided that this is our tree this year...

[Linked Image]

Notice- the ornaments are on the top of the plant to keep "little" hands and paws off of them.

[Linked Image]

Kinda pitiful, huh? There are lights, too- but you can't see them because I forgot to turn off the flash.... nutz
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 11th, 2006 at 11:39 PM
Great job Summer thumbup thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: chenno Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 11th, 2006 at 11:41 PM
thumbup She did great;-) Looks cool!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 11th, 2006 at 11:44 PM
shocked Thanks all! She loves it! cool I am proud of her- she put the ornaments up on top all by herself....such a good big sister!
Posted By: chenno Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 11th, 2006 at 11:47 PM
I bet she feels so proud!That is neat:-)
Posted By: Triss Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 12th, 2006 at 08:19 AM
That looks good Tonya! Great job Summer!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 12th, 2006 at 12:17 PM
That is so cute Tonya, tell her she did good!

You know, it's awful hard decorating a rubber plant.....I had to invent places to hang things...on the ends of leaves and stuff....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tonya Re: Dressing Up House Plants For Christmas - December 13th, 2006 at 03:31 AM
How cute Loz!! thumbup muggs
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]