Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#106953 Aug 10th, 2007 at 07:12 AM
sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
good to hear you got the perfect rain tammy! i think my flowers are perkin back up from our heavy down pour

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I haven't done anything but water my gardens lately. We've been having hot winds, drying everything out as fast as I can sprinkle. But on a positive note today is cloudy and no wind so far. Will try and get as much water on everything as possible.

I'll be picking cucumbers any day now, lots of blooms on my plants.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I moved 6 alpine currant shrubs today. Gotta mow the yard this week end.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
lol i just noticed i spelled today wrong on the topic lol blushoops
the sunflowers arnt perking back up so i might try to steak em or just cut em all n pot em in vaces.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I'm planning on getting out there and turning the rest of the compost pile. It's beautiful out there today.

Well I didn't get it all done but I got most of it. So it's just a matter of cleaning it up a bit and then pulling the finished compost that I'll piled up seperately into a container to make compost tea. Hopefully I'll be able to do that tomorrow.

Last edited by tkhooper; Aug 11th, 2007 at 05:21 AM.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Awrgh, I keep noticing more things are damaged.

I've got a burning bush shrub that is broke at the base. I'm beyond cutting back and the 'wait and see', I'm going out there today and tearing up everything that is really damaged.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Tamara, what a chore that must be to have to tear everything up instead of just working it.

[Linked Image]

sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
tearsi went down to check on the shade area n my koi fish was bellied up tears no idea what happend, there wasnt any marks on it, so i know it wasnt the cats or coons, the gold fish was ok.

there was no helping the sunflowers,n the cleomes wernt helpin with their thorns, so i have a huge vace of sunflowers in the kitchen. n tossed some cleomes in the woods, i noticed a yucca growing there, musta been from years ago seeds i tossed there.

started somemore bieannuals, shoulda did that last month o-well better late than never.

worked on bb's house, the floor i cut to small so ill try again tomarro, noticed the flowers are starting to bllom around it n the vines are growing nice.

[Linked Image]
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
For the last few years I've been planting veggies in my current area, there's always been large rose of sharon plants bording the edge[total of 2 plants].... and you know how those things reseed.. egad boohoo they take up space and light, too...

My grandmother said I could move them in the fall, but that will take a LOT of work... these are big now, much taller than me..I'm going to dig as deep as i can to try to get them out in the fall... I'm also expanding the area a little, and am getting a truckload of top soil in the spring for a raised bed.

grin

Once the projec starts I'll post pics...

Last edited by badplanter; Aug 11th, 2007 at 06:13 PM.

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Gardening is so cool. I always find something that I need to add to the garden. Even when I'm out of room lol.

Today I managed to water and then to finish turning the compost pile.

I noticed some leaves decomposing over in the wild corner of the garden so I scraped them up the best I could and added them to the compost pile.

I'll sweep up the rest of them and the finished compost under them tomorrow. This time of year it's great to get some leaves. Although my last bunch of grass clippings actually qualify as browns now.

I wonder if I can convince my landlord that he needs to mow the lawns of his properties so I can get more greens.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, I went on a tearing up spree. Took out alot of damaged trees and bushes. I think the yard will look better, going to put perennials to replace a few things in spring(I need to divide a few things then anyway).

DH wants to add another 1/2 acre to our lawn(from the hay field). Holy cr@p, I mow an acre and a half already. Not gonna happen. He said, "well, you just have to move all that stuff over~can't be that hard". No, it's easy to move 10 foot tall cedar trees, apple trees and 20 currant bushes and ......... zoink

Last edited by tamara; Aug 12th, 2007 at 05:35 AM.

sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
shock o wow! on one hand another half acre to the yard! yea! grin on the other hand moving all thoses trees n stuff nervous
tell him if he wants another half acer he can move the trees over lol thumbup

you realy been bustin your butt tamara!

[Linked Image]
sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
think i got all my bieannuals done! thinking of what all i want to winter sow this year,i should go weed but its way to hot!

[Linked Image]
Well, golly gosh. Who'da thunk there'd be a WDYDITGT #9 just down the page?? I didn't see #9 until after I posted on #8. Duh. Maybe I'll have to do something in the garden tomorrow. :~D

Julianne
sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
lolwe all have done that a time or two notme

i read all you did! wow! you did alot,

i collected more seeds n added compost around bb's house, thinned out some vines, i have a hard time just tossin plants away so i put some on the raspberry fence, we'll see how they do. cant believe i only have one cup n saucer vine commin up! the rest just died off tears
grinbut i did notice some first year holly hocks commin up! woo hoo! thought id lost em! n i started a hole flat in the green house to plant this fall lolguess ill have a bunch next year! grin

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Everything is watered. And now I'm resting. Next on my list is moving the tree prunings the landlord left me for the compost pile and then moving the petunias that are comming up in the peacock orchid space. Two that I have already transplanted have survived so I have hope for these next two. I just need to find the right space.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I picked my first set of cucumbers today, not much there but it's a start. Also pulled some onions, beets and carrots for fresh eating this week hmmmmmmmm.

Then I cut the broccoli off, I've been having big problems with the green worms on broc, but today was great. Blanched it for the freezer, good to use in soups and casseroles during winter.

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I got the lawn cut, trimmed and weed wacked. That's about it...

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
My landlord brought me tree prunings and grass clippings so I got out there and got them all mixed into my compost pile. It is now the optimal 3'X 3' size woohoo. I love compost.

As soon as I recover I'll got water. It's wonderful out there this morning. A little warm for manual labor but so much better than it has been.

Anyway, I'm loving it as usually. The zinnia are blooming good and the ornamental grass is surviving. And hopefully everything else will come back.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Holy &*$#, it's cold out there today. If this keeps up we will have frost soon. Going to town today, hoping to get a few garden clearance plants.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
that's one short growing season. It's still way to hot hear and no where near the end of the season. I haven't even begun to harvest the few seeds I will get this year. Other than one pepper worth of the Hungarian Boldog Spice pepper seeds. I'm still hoping I'll get more of those.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I pick and shredded some zucchini today for the freezer, my zucchini are finally doing something. Also picked the ripe tomatoes and peppers from my greenhouse plants.

Tamara we're getting cold nights here too, and I'm scared we'll have a frost one of these days, planning on covering some of my plants but I sure can't cover everything.

[Linked Image]

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I got all my watering done and even managed to water the compost pile. And then I transplanted two volunteer petunias from the front containers to the backyard garden. I hope they survive. But I couldn't leave them where they were because they were underneath the mums and thyme plants. The container plants all did very well this year. I guess they liked the compost.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I finished the watering. And the two petunias are still alive and well. Then I redug some trenching along the retaining wall because it had filled in with dirt. I need the trench to stop the water from flowing down the retaining wall and watering the parking lot.

I also had enough water to sprinkle some on the compost pile again today.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I've never done a thing outside in a few days, it won't stop raining. Supposed to be clear today though. The cold has killed most of the annuals, only the dianthus has made it through.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Tamara you sure haven't had much of a summer this year have you? Maybe you'll have a really nice fall. It's been cool here the last few days, no frost I hope but like you we must take what comes.

Watered my tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse this morning and picked a few ripe tomatoes too.

[Linked Image]

1k Posts
1k Posts
Gee, can ya send some cool breeze here? It's sweltering ! I'm counting the seconds 'til fall.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Raining again. I had to light the woodstove today after all, it only reached 57*F. Brrr...

Sending a cool breeze to ya DeborahL.

Rosepetal where are you from? Sounds like we are having the same type of weather. Last week we had 2 or 3 days where it was freezing. Ok not freezing but really cold. I was camping this past weekend and my mother said there was frost on Saturday morning. But it couln't have been that bad or in my area because all the tomato plants survived. I thought everything would be ok since it had rained a lot before I left, but I guess it got really hot and some of my container tomatoes are looking a bit dry. So that's all I've done, water a little here and there. It's has warmed up again and going into a hot weekend. I am trying to finish a walkway between my and the neighbors house, but hauling rock is heavy work. rspb And it doesn't look like the man around here or next door is gonna do any of it. :mad:

Nuria
1k Posts
1k Posts
Lighting the STOVE???? It's so hot here that it's hard to remember what cool weather is like.
Thanks for the cool breeze....guess it'll get here eventually...

sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
shockfrost already! nervouscancolgirl that would freak me out!
we had chilly nights n mornings but the days are hot n humid.

i weeded n got a bucket full of calendula seeds. im tryin to collect all those seeds before they fall so they dont reseed themselves in that bed, next year i wanna put them in the driveway bed n bring the blanket flowers in to that bed.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Cancolgirl, Rosepetal lives out in Western Canada as well.

Well, I found a few more bean pods on those ratty plants in the clearing. Also picked some wild raspberries and will try go pick some beaked hazelnuts this week end. Oh, and I seen a coyote yesterday in the field...he was scarey.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have one paparika pepper on the vine and one banana pepper. Lots of flowers but there isn't a bee in sight. I don't know what's up with that.

We got rain so I don't need to water. And I just finished turning the compost so I don't need to do that. But I sure do need to weed.

So far all I've managed is to walk around the garden and more or less take inventory. One of the transplanted Egyptian Walking Onions is still spliting and making new plants so that's good. One of them died so I'm about even there.

The two newly transplanted petunias are doing well so I'm happy about that and look forward to seeing what color they end up to be.

A couple of the freesia's have completely browned so I need to dig around and find them. I think I'll store them in a brown paper bag in the crisper. I hope that works.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Some of the leaves are changing colour on the trees already.

I see some new growth on my storm damaged perennials. I think most will pull through.

I am in the process of digging up a piece of ground to plant some bulbs this fall. DH just rolls his eyes and asks no questions. lol

1k Posts
1k Posts
It was a hot one today again, but the smoke from the forest fires make it even worse.

Cancolgirl I just live south of you so we have pretty much the same type of weather, although you've had more rain then we have. We're so dry right now our grass completely brown/yellow. I'm having a real time keeping the garden and my flowers moist enough to keep going.

Picked some cucumbers today, sure don't have much of a crop this year, not sure what's wrong. Hopefully my beans which are just as late will do better.

[Linked Image]

I am building a stick fence to seperate a bit of garden space away from my dogs space. I have a newborn so it's a slow project, but today I am just getting the 2 gates secure and now the space is ALL MINE!!!!!! Oh, how I have been waiting for this day!

500 Posts
500 Posts
So Emerald How old is ur new baby and boy/girl
I hope u can show pic's soon,would like to see
your fence ur working on

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeders, filled the bird baths (it's so hot and dry the birds aren't singing anymore), and watered my container plants. I've given up on the other plants and the garden.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Will be be doing nothing today, pouring rain again.

Guess it's time for me to send some rain to y'all again.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Oh my gosh. Please send us some rain. This is getting like a horror movie. All the trees are dropping limbs, not just the leaves, but entire limbs are falling off. We haven't had a drop of rain in I don't even know how long now.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Rain would be nice although I'm not in as bad of condition as Bestofour yet. I even have some wind today so it doesn't feel as hot.

[Linked Image]
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Sheri hurricane season is coming. Be careful what you wish for.
A cold front came here last night. Its really windy today. Cool enough i wore a sweatshirt to work.

1k Posts
1k Posts
It's cloudy here today, hoping so hard we won't see any frost tonight, last night it went down to 7 degrees C. nervous

We're seeing more orange colored clouds today, wonder where the fire is now, it seems like a new one everyday or maybe it's the wind changing direction. why

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It was 7*C here also, supposed to drop to 5*C tonight. I have a few dips in the lawn to fill and rake. Must get DH to bring me a half load of topsoil this week.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
It's still a million degrees here today and dry as a bone. The Catawba River is down more than 12 inches. It's horrible.

I have a little baby girl.(2 girls under 2 years!)
I will get on the picture scene soon...
Today we had a work bee (for our new additiom).Yay!
So I watched the girls and fed everyone and dashed around outside here and there to make sure my garden/pond wasn't being trampled.
I'm just sooo glad for the free labour, I can't expect them to be as mindfull as I am of the garden. But luckily many things are still in their pots because I have been waiting for my 'NO doggy' area. So I was able to spare most of them the abuse.
Rain and thunder today!

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
WOW ~ 2 under 2. i feel for you. did that once upon a time.

no garden work for me, unless you count running the electric fence to try to find out where the break in the wire was (didn't find it rspb )

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
2 under 2. I don't know how you have time to even turn on the computer.

Or get out in the garden! Yeah, it's a balancing act!
Next year they will both be out there with me though :)
I already have a little piece of yard set aside for them, I think this winter I will spend the time to get a nice raised bed built for them. (thats how It was when I was a kid).

Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
and i thought i had alot to do!!! egad i want to see pics of your girls and pond! (when you get the time)

it is still hot and beyond dry here, just about everything is burnt to a crisp but i'm still fighting it in the flower garden although i don't know why, it looks like @***! everything is all yellow and brown. i waited all winter and through that horrible late freeze for this?!?!?! now i am already waiting for next spring so i can start over! boohoo

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
faerywatcher I know exactly what you mean. I to am looking forward to next spring. And starting to schedule out what I'm going to start when indoors. I wonder are we gluttons for punishment?

We got alittle bit of rain but the trees stopped it from falling on half of my garden so I still had to water but it did save me one trip up and down the stairs so I am very grateful.

I'm still having trouble with my chinese lanterns they are dying before they turn completely orange. There are still several out there so hopefully a few of them will make it. I really one some for a winter flower arrangement.

I have one crazy bell flower that is still blooming. It came in way late compared to the others and it is just blooming it's little heart out. Which is great because I didn't have many flowers this year.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It's just too cold out today to do anything.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
mother nature is amazing. At 10:00Am here it was 91.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Guess what we had rain yesterday, after 2 months with no sign of it and now a good downpour for about 10 minutes, it sure cleared up the smoky smell in the air in a hurry.

[Linked Image]

Awwwe, today my largest goldfish died. I didn't want to trash it so I put it in the compost, so it could always be a part of my garden.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
We got patchy frost last night. Gardening season is officially over.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
tamara I don't think you had a gardening season this year. Maybe next year it will be great to make up for it. We can always hope.

It rained good last night so the garden is looking very healthy. There are buds on the pepper plants but no more little peppers as yet. Hopefully I'll get some more before the end of the season.

I'm thinking of using the bloom booster on the mums to get them started. They are coming out in dribs and drabs.

I need to dig up the freesia before I forget where they are. I might do that this afternoon. This morning I'm going shopping.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Just watered and fertilized my greenhouse plants today, picked off the ripe tomatoes and peppers. I beginning to close my greenhouse windows overnight now since it's getting so cold at night. Will have to get my Hubby to set the heater back up again.

[Linked Image]

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That seems really weird for mid August or is that normal in your zone?

I know it's been alittle cooler than normal for mid august here this last few days but nothing to slow the growth of my garden. If anything it is perking up after all the drought and high temperatures.

Today at the store I couldn't resist 3 little croton's so I bought them and brought them home and repotted them.

I have the idea to create a little grouping of houseplants. I just haven't quite figured out the container I want to put them in.

[Linked Image]
Last night the kids (my niece and nephew) went back to Ontario, so I will have more time on my hands until I go back to work. so today I watered fromt and back gardens, picked a dozen carrots out of my garden, plucked the rest of the garlic out as well and de-weeded areas I had neglected. Moved containers around now that I have that extra room and will hopefully get my grass back in shape so I don't have to look at circle on it from the conatinerws being placed on them. My tomatoes are taking so darn long to ripen I'm afraid I'll be moving before tasting them. I still need to sell my house so that's a good part, just as long as they don't want immediate possession.

Nuria
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I went out to make sure we got enough rain to make all the plants happy. They seem to be doing well. the weeds of course are doing great.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I have done nothing out there in days. Just haven't had any energy lately, I think the cold weather has un-gardened me. lol

sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
nuria are you movin near penny?? that would be cool!

i didnt do anything yesterday, it was so cold n wet here it felt like fall! my bones were hurting!
today i just walked around checkin things out, atleast the plants are realy lovin the rain.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Boy you said it, not only was it cold here the last few days but the wind was something terrible. It's no pleasure being outside when it's so windy.

But today it's quiet and warm what a relief that is.

[Linked Image]

I will be moving near Toronto, East/Southeast like an hr away. We haven't bought a house there as of yet and will be living in Kitchener until we do. So not all that close to Penny, but I'll visit her once I get the chance, that is if I'm invited. grin

I did nothing today, except for inside the house. I have been hoping it would rain all day but nothing as of yet. Maybe tonight. But if it doesn't I'll have to go out and water in the morning.

Nuria
Just watered...and forgot to turn the hose off!!! We do have a well, but it runs on electricity.

Julianne
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I have lots of family in Kitchener Nuria.

I weeded a bit yesterday, nothing is really growing with the cold anyway.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Today I transplanted the wheat and one of the mums. It sprinkled alittle bit but I'm hoping for more. It's overcast grey out but I can't really see any clouds. Hope more rain is coming this way.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I'm not doing much in the gardens today, watered a bit. It's cloudy here and they say it may rain.

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Just got in from mowing and weed wacking everything. Probably the last time I'll have to mow this year.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well the wheat and mums are doing fine so far and I watered half of the garden. It didn't really need it yet but I had already filled the buckets so there was no reason to waste it.

It's alittle warm to be turning compost today but maybe tomorrow.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
We had 1/2 inch of rain yesterday.....WOW boy did we love it. Seems like all the dust of summer was washed away. And it smelled wonderful afterwards.

It was really cold all day yesterday, thought for sure we'd have frost, it did hit 3 degrees C,or 38 F, so we were still okay.

Today was beautiful and warm, what a pleasure after the cold and the wind.

[Linked Image]

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well my post from yesterday will work as well today. It must have rained last night so the garden is looking fantastic. Especially the banana peppers that have really taken off. I have baby peppers on all the banana pepper plants. I wish I could say that the paparika peppers were doing as well. But there is still only one pepper on the plant that produced the other one. The rest are barren.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, it poured yesterday all day, still raining now. Can't do a thing but look outside.

1k Posts
1k Posts
We're finally getting hot weather again.......88 degrees clap .....well not too hot but better then it was, the only thing is the wind came with it. Oh well rolz

[Linked Image]

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It rained last night so I didn't have to water. So I harvested the last of the white radishes. Planted red wheat where the radishes were for a winter crop. And turned about 1/3 of the compost pile. When it is wet it is really to heavy for me to work with.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Glad you're getting rain TK. I wish we'd get a little. My compost needs some water. I haven't even turned it - it's been to hot.

Red wheat - that intersting. I don't know that I've seen that. How big an area did you plant? You're always the busy bee in the garden.

Got out and mowed the grass today. Mosquitos are horrid! Not much time in the garden lately.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I dug out a small garden bed, in anticipation of planting bulbs. It was h3ll trying to dig. I wanted to double dig...understood the concept, but I couldn't even get a foot down into the soil. The tree roots weren't as bad as I though, but I did end up chopping four pretty thick roots (about 1.5"-2" in diameter) so I hope the tree doesn't die! When I first removed the grass/sod I loosened up the soil a bit about the first 4 inches, so it wasn't 'that' bad today. I used up all the compost in the pile so now I am hoping that whatever I've thrown into the bin will be well composted when I am ready to plant annual transplants out next year! I'll be out looking for some bricks or firewood or pieces of wood to line the boarder. This 'bed' is right in front of the porch, and get some light in the morning and in the evening and is shaded by the tree most of the time, especially in the afternoon. What I plan to plant in it...depends on what I can buy lol

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by iheartflowers
Not much time in the garden lately.

me too--about all i have doen lately is weed--weed--weed & then water a BUNCH!!!

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well I am amazed, remember when after the tornado and hail went through everything was so damaged. So I went out and cut mostly everything(perennials and roses)to the ground and now it is all growing back with a vengence. Even the shrubs are starting to regrow, I think that the cool wweather we have gotten in the past few weeks with all the rain has helped alot.

I even have new buds on the rose bushes, second blooms starting on daylilies and flowers going to bloom in September. Just so strange considering we have even had frost.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
it's maybe 1 foot by 2 feet. It's part of the new bed that I started this year. The money plants, celosia and banana peppers have the rest of the bed for now. But I may plant that was well after harvest. Except where the money plants are since they are biennial.

Today I marked my horseradish for harvest. And then I marked the boundries for the hosta and the peonies so that I can scratch the soil around them and add compost this spring. Last year I dug up one of the hostas because I didn't have it marked. So this year I am determined to be more organized.

Last edited by tkhooper; Aug 27th, 2007 at 04:36 AM.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
TK I am thinking of pullling out my 2 silver mound plants & replacing them with 2 hostas---can I plant Hostas on the west side of my house--(no shade trees to speak of yet, so there will be full sun all afternoon)-

Last edited by JunieGirl; Aug 27th, 2007 at 06:38 AM.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I have hostas on the West side and they are fine, zone 4 here though.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
some hostas will handle full sun. Just check the tags before you buy so you know you have the right varieties. Also plan on giving them more water since they are in full sun. Hostas love water.

Today I turned about another 3rd of my compost. But it was so hot that I came inside rather quickly.

My banana peppers are really producing now. I've very thrilled and hope we don't get an early frost because I really want to get a good harvest.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, this week I am going to start expanding on my veggie garden plot. It will take me awhile because I dig out and throw away the sod. Hoping to get the tractor and trailer down because I can just keep throwing it on the back and haul it all away at once.

Also need to start filling ruts and such in the lawn. No need for bumps when I have all the free topsoil I could ever need. Just need the flies to go away.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
would you believe I've been so lazy that once I noticed that it had rained I never even got dressed to go outside? This is a day for the books. I'm just zapped of energy and I have an appointment this evening that I have to go to. Here's wishing an end to this headache.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
There I did something gardenish lol. I have a friend that loves sweet basil so I put some seeds in a pot to sprout. I've been meaning to do it for a week.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
We're finally getting nice weather again, it's supposed to go up to 30* today.

My corn are ready, have been eating them for a while now and tomorrow we'll be picking and freezing a bunch. Have been slowly getting the garden veggies picked that are ready.

The other day we had a frost warning and I quickly went and covered my squash, it took quite a few blankets to cover those huge plants. My squash are not quite ready to pick so I'll be watching the frost warnings closely the next few week.

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It's still raining...lol Not like it ever does anything else.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
..............Still raining.....

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I watered today because it didn't rain yesterday or today.

Today I noticed that one of the Varigated Ornamental Grass plants bloomed. I had no idea they did that. I'm looking forward to what they will look like.

[Linked Image]
sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
i havent done much but water n weed, gonna take some pics in a bit:}

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I watered and dug up the hycinth and crocus bulbs in the lower bulb bed. I still have a bunch to dig up but it's hard to accomplish anything with this cold. My head is aching. Maybe I'll get more done tomorrow.

[Linked Image]
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i got shocked by my "electric water lettuce" and got a very close HELLO from 1 of the 2 bats that circle off the porch over the hill!

STRANGE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!! yikes

Last edited by faerywatcher; Sep 1st, 2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: misspelled

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
sibyl Offline OP
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
shockyou seen bats in the daytime? thats wierd! woulda shocked me too! nervous

i went out n took pics grin

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Today I just walked around the garden. I wasn't up to doing anything. Maybe tomorrow will be better. I hope so anyway.

[Linked Image]
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Yesterday, a really nice fellow dropped off two railway ties for me to use as garden edging. They were so heavy! And moving the two took me about half an hour! The bed with the ties is about 6-7' by 2'. I got two boxes of bulbs in the last few weeks from some really nice people. I got some arum italicum from the US and some saffron crocus corms from the Netherlands. Just now at wal mart I bought some daffodils, double tulips, and some allium purple sensation. I wanted to buy some hyacinths for forcing but the packages were smelling like fish and some bulbs were mushy. I also bought 10 Dutch iris bulbs. I'm still figuring out how deep to plant the arum, crocus and irises. I also bought a 7.99 bulb planter for just a dollar so I hope I can get to use it soon! I'll be off to plant my bulbs today or tomorrow before school starts on tuesday

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That sounds fantastic Kenny. The saffron crocuses sound really pretty. I believe the planting depth is 3 times the length of the bulb. And then mulch the bed with 3 to 6 inches of leaf mulch. The bulbs love it and multiply like there is no tomorrow.

I hope you will have pictures in the spring. That's going to be a gorgeous bed I'm sure.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
~~~~~~~~~~~CLOSED~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image