Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#46414 May 17th, 2007 at 06:38 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
wavy Reading is a huge hobby of mine....I have tons of books....what are you all reading right now?

I'm currently on the first "In the Garden" book from the Nora Roberts Trilogy......Triss didn't you buy them and read them a while back? Did you like them? I'm about halfway thru the first book and so far it's okay, not blowing me away but not bad.

#47021 May 17th, 2007 at 03:56 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Tonya, I bet audio books would work great!!! You can even get them from the library for free!

What are you favorite things to read?

Last edited by loz; May 17th, 2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling error
#47023 May 17th, 2007 at 03:58 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I love pioneer type books, stories told from the olden days or Mennonite farms and such.

I hate romance books though.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #47028 May 17th, 2007 at 04:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I like the genre too Tamara.....I have a book upstairs that takes place in Amish Country....it was pretty good. thumbup

My favorites though are vampire books.....and chic lit like Bridget Jones Diary. I don't do harlequin type books, but I do like Nora Roberts.

Do you read often? It's a huge passion of mine. I go thru about a book every couple of days.

#47030 May 17th, 2007 at 04:05 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I used to Loz, but there is no library near by and books are expensive. I try to hit a few yard sales in the summer and buy some then.

Sunflowers #47033 May 17th, 2007 at 04:07 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
My daughter is an avid reader, she reads a book every few days as well. The girls at school share so she only has to buy a book month and they switch off.

She's a VC Andrews fan.

Sunflowers #47036 May 17th, 2007 at 04:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I've read most of VC Andrews work.....I don't like a lot of her newer stuff though....she passed away years ago and there is someone that writes in her name now and it's just not as good to me.

Yard sales are GREAT places to get cheap books. That and the Goodwill. I used to get a ton of them there when I lived in my apartment years ago.

If they weren't so heavy I'd send you some of mine, I have hundreds and hundreds of books.

#47042 May 17th, 2007 at 04:19 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It would cost you more to ship them then for me to buy them new lol

#47133 May 17th, 2007 at 06:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Destroyer Goddess huh? That sounds interesting. thumbup What's it about.

#47368 May 18th, 2007 at 07:51 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
that sounds good triss,

i love all books, romance, mystery, history, adventure, fantasy, gardening of course.
right now im reading a romance by johanna lindsey. i love her malory series.
were waiting for the last harry potter book to come out, me and my daughter always read those together.
and im desperately waiting for the next eragon book to come out. i have to say the books are alot better then the movie! but then they usually are.

[Linked Image]
sibyl #47388 May 18th, 2007 at 09:15 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
I've read Nora Roberts but I find her storylines to be predictable. When VC Andrews died, whomever is writing on her behalf just recycles the same story over-and-over. I used to read lots of Dean Koontz but even he is extremely predictable. So now, I'm author-less.

I will have to check out the Goddess books, and when I was 10 I started Lasher by Anne Rice and my mother took it away. I need to remember to get that so I can finish it. I got about half way through. When I was little I was homeschooled and would read about 5-10 adult books a week. We lived in a small town and it was always so frustrating to have to order books in from bigger libraries. Thank god I'm in a bigger town now!

I love this thread, please post your favorite books and authors, I'm always looking for something good to read (and for the time to read it in). I don't do romance. There is not a romantic fiber in my body. lol

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #48274 May 20th, 2007 at 07:41 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I like to read too, joined reading clubs in elementry school...love dan brown! mostly into mystery and romance ( so i'm a guy...get over it :P lol)

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
#48340 May 20th, 2007 at 08:57 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I've read Nora Roberts but I find her storylines to be predictable. When VC Andrews died, whomever is writing on her behalf just recycles the same story over-and-over. I used to read lots of Dean Koontz but even he is extremely predictable. So now, I'm author-less.

Very true Sarah.

Kenny, I think your choice of books is just fine---doesn't matter if you're a guy or woman.

My fav. author is Laurell K. Hamilton. She's amazing. Her Anita Blake series is about vampires but mostly romantic, not scary stuff really.

Her Merry Gentry series is about fairies....they're very romantic too, but can get sort of dark.

I'm waiting for the next book in each series and it's killing me!!!!! boohoo

kennyso #48410 May 20th, 2007 at 09:49 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by kennyso
I like to read too, joined reading clubs in elementry school...love dan brown! mostly into mystery and romance ( so i'm a guy...get over it :P lol)
lol kenny, guys can read, and like romance...

one of my favorite coworkers is a young man who has been married about 3 years. i'm always telling him things like "you want some extra brownie points?" and then giving him romantic hints. he wants to be romantic, but doesn't know how! so if you read, you'll know how when the time comes thumbup

and my husband likes mysteries as much as i do!

#57455 Jun 3rd, 2007 at 04:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
What's everyone reading now? I'm reading a good book but I can't remember the authors name....I'll update when I go look later.

#57533 Jun 3rd, 2007 at 06:40 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
loz - I read Nora Roberts garden trilogy - I liked it pretty much. Just finished her vampire series, but I have a real problem with it!!! You know how it starts off with an old man telling the story to children??? Well... really... one would not be telling a romance story to children in such great detail of the romantic parts, you know? Since I used to be a pre-school teacher, that aspect of this series really really bothered me!!!

I'm not into vampire stories, but this series was not bad otherwise. I need to find something fun and interesting to read next...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#57677 Jun 3rd, 2007 at 10:56 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
Originally Posted by Triss
Kenny, there is nothing wrong with that at all and when you are old enough to get married, your wife will certainly appreciate your romance.

lol you know how many times i tried to get my hubby to read romance just to give him pointers! boohoo hasnt happend yet! rolz

im done with the johnna lindsey it was a good book! i loved when she took his ship! served him right! grin
im on a look out for another book, maybe somthing in fantasey,

[Linked Image]
sibyl #58774 Jun 5th, 2007 at 02:50 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Anyone reading the new book by Mitch Albom - author of Tuesdays with Morrie, and The Five People You Meet in Heaven? It's called "for one more day". I saw him on Oprah last Wednesday and put a hold on the book immediately at my library. Just got around to reading it today - am half way through and have been crying since PAGE ONE!!!

WOW, does this book ever hit home with some of the feelings and things. It's a very easy read, but not exactly what I need to be reading right now with "stuff" going on here for several months now... I'm going to finish it, because I do think it's good though.

Anyone know of a good humorous book?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
My all time favorite humorous books are The Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella! I laughed hysterically through almost all of them. Plus the main character, Becky, is English and I liked that.

I haven't read the new Mitch Albom book. Five People you Meet in Heaven put me off him a bit....I didn't like it, but I adored Tuesdays with Morrie.

I just finished DarkFever by Karen Marie Moning...It was excellent and all about the Fae---the Seelie and Unseelie Court--and was pretty dark at times but it was still good.

#58802 Jun 5th, 2007 at 03:38 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
snooz
Read the James Herriot Vet book.. He is an English Vet who tells of the humor and problems in the neighborhood , back in the olden days....If your an animal lover..You will love all his books.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #62578 Jun 10th, 2007 at 12:06 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
My brother got me a barnes and noble gift card for my birthday so I finally was able to get some new books. I've been going through reading withdrawl. Anyway, I got the next book int the Merdith Gentry series, I got the first book to the Anita Blake series, got a Stephen King book I've been wanting to read and I got Bram Stoker's Dracula. I've always heard that it was a really good classic and it was only $3! Now I just have to wait for them to be shipped to my house, should have them all by Thursday. The next thing is deciding which one to read first.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
chermoni #62579 Jun 10th, 2007 at 12:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Oooooo, ooooooooo-----I've read ALL of the Merry Gentry series and I LOVE them! AND, they just shipped me the Harlequin---newest release in the Anita Blake Series(I'd preordered it)...I should have it soon! Love BOTH series!

Sounds like you got a nice selection of books to read! clap Very nice of your brother.

#62584 Jun 10th, 2007 at 12:13 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
With all the trouble with my car I haven't been able to afford any books so I told my brother that's what I wanted for my birthday. I'm proud that he actually got me something. I've read the first 2 Meredith Gentry books and I have the 4th one but didn't want to read it before getting the 3rd one. I was going to get the 5th one as well but it doesn't seem to be available in paper back yet so I got the 1st Anita Blake one instead. I know you said those are really good books. I'm so excited, I want them to be at my house right now.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
chermoni #62592 Jun 10th, 2007 at 12:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I like them! If you like Merry Gentry then you will like Anita Blake...there are a lot of similarities in them. There are LOTS of books in the AB series....about 15 I think.

Happy Reading Cheryl! I hope you get them really soon! BTW, I HATE reading out of series order too....that happened to me once with the Anita series....I didn't get the next one I needed, I got the one after that....so I read it and went back and read the last one...but I don't like doing that at all.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I love to read---I esp. like series type so I know if i will end up liking a book or not.

I am mainly into Mystry so i can try to figure out the "who did it" myself.

I read Rex Stout-- Caludia Bishop- Marcia Mueller, Diane Mott Davidson
and I have every Agatha Chisty book she ever wrote. The rex stout (Nero Wolfe) I read again & again--I also have the DVD's of the movies that were on A & E. :wink:

Then there is the 7 or do of the NW books put out by Robert Goldsboro---not so good but not so bad---

My husband & I read various books--taking turns reading chapters aloud, so we both get to enjoy the book-

if I had a book type encyclopedia set, i would be reading those as well.

love just to read---- bop

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
Anyone reading the new book by Mitch Albom - author of Tuesdays with Morrie, and The Five People You Meet in Heaven? It's called "for one more day".

thanks for telling me about the new book--i was not aware of it---I have read the other Mitch Albom books---and yes they are very good. i loved them.--I have a friend who buys them--i just read them (lucky me) I guess i will have to go to the library for this one---

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #72813 Jun 21st, 2007 at 06:15 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if you like funny mysteries, joan hess's maggody series will tickle you pink. i love it. and her claire malloy series is pretty good too.

i tried a new author this week, (new to me) janet evanovich and really liked that book. it was called hot stuff and was sort of a mystery, with a mystery type romance thrown in. at one point i was laughing out loud.

i've read all sue grafton, all agatha, and all joan hess, and quite a few added, but i like "lite" mysteries myself.

#72827 Jun 21st, 2007 at 06:27 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:/

Don't mysterys scare you?

I like non fiction........Hate fiction.......Dont read much now that I have a computer to check out the world........It's right at the finger tips.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #72892 Jun 21st, 2007 at 07:08 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
the really graphic ones, like patricia cornwell and dick francis do. but the lite ones like joan hess are nice. and that one by janet evanovich that i read this week was really just funny. the short of the plot line was about a woman who was trying to live up to her own dreams while juggling her families desire to get her married off. i know, there isn't much mystery in that, but if you through in a roommate that is a thief... it gets good without being gory.

#84462 Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:52 PM
I LOVE TO READ! I have never checked this part of the forum out until today!

I am actually in my last year at Boise State University (it will be my ninth year, BTW...) to be an English teacher!

Tamara, I saw that you like pioneer novels, and if you haven't ready My Antonia by Willa Cather yet, I really suggest you do, (I got my copy at Barnes and Noble for about $5). I read it this last year, and I really loved it! It's a classic, and it's all about two children growning up on the Missouri Prarie. Good book.

I like literature. I am not into a lot of non-fiction, but some REALLY interesting stuff will get me hooked. (I like history, so history books that are almost like novels will get me hooked, as well as some biographies.)

Last edited by manderlyh; Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:53 PM.
manderlyh #91651 Jul 16th, 2007 at 09:37 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
any one read R.A. Salvatore books? i was thinkin of tryin them.

i still love marry Higgins Clark mysterys:}

[Linked Image]
sibyl #91661 Jul 16th, 2007 at 10:51 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I loved the Mrs. Pollifax series of spy mysteries. Anything by Phyllis Whitney is a treasure.
Dodge, I LOVED all of the James Herriot books, and read his biography, but I kind of lost the old interest when I learned that the books were highly fictionalized.
I had the same let-down when I found out that all of the Little House books were also mostly fiction.
They're all still classic reads though.

DeborahL #91799 Jul 17th, 2007 at 05:54 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
blush blush

That is news to me, fictionalized.....I understood they were for real years back and the true life Herriot lived.

Well there were lots of drunk stories, but if you love animals, it is heartwarming.I have one here"Dog stories" and I refuse to give it up.. I just bought a friend a Herriot book at the Book store and she loves it.

You miss some heart warming stories.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #91849 Jul 17th, 2007 at 07:04 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Thanks manderlyh, I'll check for it.

Sunflowers #99390 Jul 29th, 2007 at 01:11 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Dodge, James Herriot was a real person, and a vet as he described in his books.
I meant that the stories were fictionalized. In other words, one zany character in a book might be a composite of two people whom Herriot really knew.
Or, a touching piece about an animal might be behaviors from more than one animal.
Herriot's real name was James Wight. There is a biography written by his son and includes many photographs of Herriot and the people and places of his life.

DeborahL #99492 Jul 29th, 2007 at 06:23 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding: :ding:

I still love THe Herriot books......They aren't really fiction like the Fiction storys on the market today......(My idea of fiction) Stupid love stories in fiction, like my darling has come out of the closet just in time to ride me off on a grey horse into the sunset.........Trash.

He did actually at some time or other do most of the stuff he says.. Maybe not in the style you consider......It doesnt matter how it is said.. But would you have any idea how boring a book would be if it involved only daily doing?/

PS......What is the name of his sons book I will hunt it down?

Love Herriot..Or jimmie wright.

Sorry, us farmers stick together..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #99511 Jul 29th, 2007 at 07:27 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Right now I'm reading the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kennyon. Very good...at least for me, because I like vampire/werewolf books....and this has an ancient twist to it with Greeks, and Romans and flashbacks in time.

Not sure what I'll switch to when I'm done this series....I hate finishing a series. It's so hard to find other good books.

#99770 Jul 29th, 2007 at 06:16 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
cat

To each his own.......I couldnt sleep with that type of literature.
I am reading 2 garden books ..

Black & Decker creative landscape
and
Garden rooms
by Catriona Tudor Erler......

zoink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#104238 Aug 6th, 2007 at 08:49 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I love VC Andrew I have just about all of them,
really love to read too.We have a store here and
you can buy then return for other another if you
want.
Here is another place to go too
The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
Shortcut to: http://www.paperbackswap.com/

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled. I hope this is ok to put on here

5k Posts
5k Posts
i havent picked up a book since harry potter! im gonna have to check when eargon 3 comes out, i cant make up my mind what to read next!

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image