Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Haven't done any digging again, it's still raining.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Our weather is beautiful. I removed the cages from the cucumbers that didn't do well this summer. Planted a squash plant that I started on my screened in porch, planted some beets just to see what will happen. Cut some dead stuff off a few azaleas, pruned the lady banks rose, got attacked by a bee, came inside.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I went out and bought some bulbs, some ile-de-france tulips, king alfread daffodils and also allium and spring mix dutch iris. Also got some muscari. I plan to plant these later...the arum italicums that I planted, only one has started to brek ground, and I'm hopeful more will soon. I also bough some house plants today since the weather's getting cold...two solid spider plants (I don't really like the vargiated ones) with one having a large plantlet which I've pinned to the top of a smaller pot with half a paper clip. Also got an asparagus fern, a nice croton (so I think...large colourful leaves) and also a nice parlor palm. They all look healthy so I hope that they survive at least the winter lol I have to learn to be more 'harsh' and water less often lol

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I planted muscari here a few years ago and it never came up. I do want some more daffodil bulbs though.

Well, yesterday I finally convinced DH to go get me a half load of topsoil. I figured he'd just get me a bucket full with the tractor loader and put it by the corner of the lawn clap. Oh no, that would be to easy.............

He used his bosses payloader and drove half way the lawn leaving a half acre of three inch deep tire tracks in my lawn that had to be refilled with the 'way too big' of a load he dropped off in the middle of the lawn shock. It was a long afternoon zoink.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
As soon as I convince myself to get dressed I plan to get out there and do something. So far I'm just being lazy.

Kennyso it sounds like your making great plans.

Ladyslipper it's nice to meet you. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.

No frost here but it has cooled off to the point where I don't need to turn on the air conditioner which is great.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Tamara, sometimes they just don't think. Hope you can fix your lawn. Did you have enough topsoil to do whatever you were originally going to do with it?

We had some soil brought in one time, a tandem truck load, and before I could get outside it had been dumped in the yard a long way from where I wanted to use it. We had to move it with wheel barrows. Didn't like it.

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yup, I had to move it with a wheelbarrow as well. Of course the wheel was punctured and it took me an hour to patch it, slime the hole and inflate it. I got the lawn fixed, I only needed to level off where the septic field bed was, it had started to make concave lines from settling.

I levelled off a few humps and such as well with the extra.

500 Posts
500 Posts
Here in New Hampshire we had a very cold night last night, but lucked out and did not get a frost where I am. Now we are having a very beautiful day and the weather man says we are in for a week of nice weather with no threat of frost. So I an am headed out side to continue to cut down plants and dead head what is still blossoming. My blanket flowers are going strong still. Ok I better shut down and get out there.

Ladyslipper

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I marked a layout for a new flowerbed going on the west side of my house. Not gonna cut sod til I'm absolutely happy with the shape though.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Tamara are you putting in perennials?

Ladyslipper, it's hard to imagine frost already. It's going to be 80 here today with a nice breeze.

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'll be putting in all perennials from the dividing I have to do in spring. My hostas and astilbes need to be divided up real bad, everything is getting over crowded in my front shade garden.

500 Posts
500 Posts
Bestoffour, We are having some very nice days here right now, but our evenings are getting cold. We usually have frost any time now in New Hampshire. Our growing season is over by the end of September, but it seems our climate is changing. I love coming here to see what you are doing in your gardens. It also inspires me to get out in mine. Did some more cutting down perennials today and found 12 baby fox gloves. Moved them into an area where I want them to spread. Hope they make it as I don't have good luck moving them. I seem to lose them.

[Linked Image]

I am strong when I am on your shoulders, you raised me up to be more than I can be.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
So true ladyslippers they really don't like being moved unless they do it themselves. I'll cross my fingers for you. I still haven't gotten out in the garden yet today but I think I'm headed that way now. You all have inspired me.

[Linked Image]
I have so much to do in the yard (who cares about the house?) that it is almost depressing. All my flower beds are beginning to look alike because I hate to throw away self-seeders but a friend mailed me new hardy geraniums (3), 6 different veronicas, and balloon flower so I have to make room for them. I guess I should get dressed before I do anything though.

500 Posts
500 Posts
boohoo I haven't been able to work in the garden for some time now,but I have spotted a new tree rose I really want for $20.00 @ grocery outlet,so I'll have to get back into the garden!!!!!!! grin

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I looked at it lol

I have to go cut back all the rest of the perennials, the frost has won again. Except for a south corner where it's protected, I've got a daylily and a rose bush starting to bloom again....very strange.

500 Posts
500 Posts
tamara, Me too I looked at it while I as hanging out clothes. Just no ambition to get out there.

tkhooper, thanks for the info on foxgloves I thought it was just me, but it's nice to know they don't like being moved. hopefully the ones I have bought and put where I want them will seed in that area. Any that survive that I have moved will be a blessing I guess.

I hope to get out in the garden Friday and do some more cutting back.

[Linked Image]

500 Posts
500 Posts
pfffffttt! I watered last night........

500 Posts
500 Posts
The weather was beautiful here today. Cleaned out our garden shed the cut back most of my gardens in the back yard. Found 2 large fox gloves growing and left them alone snooznow I am tired

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I cut back some dead coneflowers and also cut back a straggly Pea Shrub to the ground, I see new growth in the bottom so I'm hoping to train this one to a better shape.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I think I burnt the croton with too much light o_o and one spider plant is dead...already!!! I did manage to plant sbout 20 bulbs before I lost enthusiasm and left. I still have lots to plant! I think I'm going to stop buying spring bulbs, and wait for the spring to buy summer ones instead. My grandma wants me to grow only veggies and no flowers...not likely! I might go plant more bulbs later b4 it gets too hot. I got some mint yesterday which I'm hoping to plant today maybe in a pot to bring inside...will be workign to soil today hoping to dig about a foot deep which is not likely with all the large stones and roots...funny story lol: it was getting dark and I was planting bulbs. I hit something long and white and hard. I thouhg it was a tree root (which I proved the next morning it was) and drove the shovel through it to cut it...the shovel didn't go through made a 'clunck' sound and the root shattered a bit. I thought it was a bone and ran like there was no hell into the house...I freaked my grandma out as well lol I've got most bulbs planted and will get a garden drawing done soon I hope!

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
It's back in the 90's today. I'm not working in the yard. The humidity will melt a person.

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, I had good intentions out there today but it's just too chilly and damp.

I can just see Kenny running....Must of been scarey though.

I haven't done diddly in weeks and its showing. I don't have the energy to weed anymore. I am having fun cutting flower heads and trying to figure out what the seeds look like when I strip them.

I am surprised, but my creeping phlox bloomed again. When we had the flood three weeks ago (and just generally too much rain), it killed my lavendar dead. I am wondering if I should just leave it alone and see if it comes back next year, or kiss it goodbye?

I love knockout roses, those things just keep on blooming, its been a banner year for my russian sage, its large, blooming like mad, and extremely happy.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Tamara: VERY scary! especially with the ravens crowing and it geting dark and all lol

didn't end up doing anything...as expected...though I am starting to drwa garden plans. Next year I'm going to do more tubers and bulbs like callas, cannas, dahlias, etc...and less on transplant annuals. I do want a patch of wildflowers and some milkweed/butterfly weed for the monarchs

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Somebody come give me a kick to get me out in my gardens. The frost has killed almost everything except those ugly marigolds I planted lol (how ironic).

Oh, and the back flowerbed that is tucked away from frost has daylilies, roses, potentilla and a bleeding heart starting to rebloom. I am thinking that it's not a good thing. I have honestly never seen this before.

500 Posts
500 Posts
I really wanna go to home depot garden department,but its 30 min. away and anyway, my husband doesn't like to go there boohoo I'll just have to go on the weekend...get inspired...

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Tried to dig, but the dirt's so clay and dry...I dug out about two rocks about the size of my head out...that's big lol its like 50% rock and 50% dry clay out there,...I don't think I can dig out the area I want...all I need to dig is about a 10' by 1' strip of ground so the bed goes right along the chain link fence, and need to work the soil at least 6" deep (instead of my planned 1')

[Linked Image]

500 Posts
500 Posts
wavy

Hi everyone,

Haven't been in garden except to take some night pictures that I put on another thread. Have been working on organizing a scrapbook with pictures and information on each plant I have.

Ladyslipper

[Linked Image]

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
didn't do anything yesterday or today, will be going to church to teach in about an hour, and I have band practise at 7:00 tomorrow AM and we have to be there at 6:30 to warm up and set up...

I did move my orchid from on top of the tv...the tip of the white phalaenopsis with three buds on it was about half broken off...tied like a small 'stake/crutch' to help keep the stem on...I want to water them but I'm holding myself back

[Linked Image]

i picked 20 or so, very wet tomato's. idea Im going to blanch them tomorrow and make sauce. that was about it. I did look at the black eyed suzies and the princess pine tree i just got. we had a little rain so i was ready to get back inside.
oh, and i "talked" about dividing up the hostas. thumbup

I love my garden
500 Posts
500 Posts
Today we are having very muggy weather for us this time of year. Everything needs water. I did go out and do an inventory of all my plants in my front yard to start a scrapbook with info on all my plants. Thankfully we did get a little rain this evening. clap

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It's been raining her again. I did get a few things cleaned up. I need to re~edge the veggie garden plot and add some manure to it for next year.

Oh and I forgot, I cut back a Pea Shrub that was growing all lopsided and ugly. I cut it to the ground because I noticed 3 new shoots growing from the base. I promise to look after it this time....well either that or dig it out. Isn't the prettiest thing i've ever seen..

Last edited by tamara; Sep 27th, 2007 at 04:13 AM. Reason: forgot something.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Kenny: I once dig out an area 6 x 3 for a bulb bed. I had to dig down about 2-3 feet. I used the rocks/stones in other flower beds I had around my house. The bonus was when we moved I took many of them with me to put in flower beds here and to remind me of "the farm". Do not dispair--all of your hard work will be rewarded.

Tamara: I hear you. I want to dig out 2 silver mounds that I have. they are so pretty in the spring but as they grow they fall over & develop open areas--I hate that.
Iheartflowers. Other than weeding & perhaps some seed harvesting I have not been doing a whole lot either.

I DID buy pavers that I put down on the north side of my veggie garden. They will be the walk-way between the garden & my--soon to come-- Blackberry trellis. (I just ordered the blackberries) My objective here was to NOT cause more grass trimming for my DH, as he hates to cut grass. I spoke to him about this before I spent MY money-(not his)- for the pavers. So last night, he says: "other than to kill the grass, what are the pavers at the end of your garden for?" We had more than 1 conversation about this too!!---Men--- why

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
lol Carol, DH doesn't ask a thing when he sees me digging outside or telling him I need something. He just buys it(if we have the extra money) and walks away, no in fact....he runs. grin

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by tamara
lol Carol, DH doesn't ask a thing when he sees me digging outside or telling him I need something. in fact....he runs. grin

at least he hears you...my parents just roll their eyes and ignore me...even if its not about the garden

I think the pink phal is going to die soon...not many roots and the ones remaining seem like they're starting to shrivel up near the plant. I might pick up a cheap one at walmart which has done flowering and is still healthy (who ma I kidding...not flowering - ya, but healthy...)

[Linked Image]

500 Posts
500 Posts
I like to get not so healthy ones for CHEAP and nurse them back to health..................................

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Still raining.

It's tough being a teen Kenny. My mom was the same with me and I rebelled against her and did more damage to myself in the process. kissie

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I have to trim my brick edging, as DH cut the grass last night. Then I get to sweep the front porch and the apron of the drive-way.

Kenny--take care & try to stay happy.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
500 Posts
500 Posts
okay...my husband asked the gardener to cut the bush growing in front of the window to below the window,...which he did,...on the top.

Didn't touch anything near the bottom of the bush, so now I (emphasis on I )
have to go out there with my flower shears and make it look symmetrical, cause the rest of the bush is growing EVERYWHERE!!!looks so stupid!!oooohhhh! makes me mad. why didn't he just finish the job instead of all half a**ed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we paid for his services instead of the landlord, he wouldn't get paid till the job is done!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image