Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#13663 Apr 3rd, 2007 at 06:53 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I just read a post of someone who used wood chips as compost, is this possible?

We have lots of wood shavings, chips and even dust that gets vacuumed up from our wood working shop and I'm wondering if I could use any of this for compost. What would I need to do in order for it to be useable and safe with plants.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
The Jedi
1k Posts
The Jedi
1k Posts
I would think you'd have to add lots and lots of green stuff, in order to help it break down. Also, you want to be careful not to use any shavings or dust from plywood or treated lumber.

Terry

May the force be with you
1k Posts
1k Posts
I use wood chips from the city, but make sure they are well rotted first, the ones I am using are nice and dark brown and have been lying on the ground since last fall.

[Linked Image]

One OS to rule them, one OS to find them: One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them in the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
I've used cedar shavings, neighbours own a saw mill. They take a long while to break down though and you've got to watch for ants and snakes that seem to love living in the pile while it's breaking down.

I think Pat has the best idea of leaving them sit for a long while before using them.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Hey thanks for the info'. That's what I thought I would have to do. I guess I could easily save a bag of dust from pine wood, that's what we're using, and let it sit for a while. I'll see what my hubby thinks. We need to do something with all the left over chips and stuff.
He even mentioned the other day, to heat my greenhouse with a wood burning stove, but he'd have to build a small room specially for the stove and pipe the heat in. Guess we'll have think some more on all this.

[Linked Image]

1k Posts
1k Posts
Originally Posted by tamara
I've used cedar shavings, neighbours own a saw mill. They take a long while to break down though and you've got to watch for ants and snakes that seem to love living in the pile while it's breaking down.

I think Pat has the best idea of leaving them sit for a long while before using them.

And the best part is the city has done all the work and even offered to load them for me. Plus I can probably get all I want, they have some land at the edge of town where they dump almost all their wood.

You might also check the local Vets in your area, we have one that does a lot with cows and horses, and he has LOTS of good well composted manure. He has probably 3 or 4 Tractor-Trailer loads. He told just help yourself take ALL you want.

[Linked Image]

One OS to rule them, one OS to find them: One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them in the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
the chips can make a nice mulch and that will cure it long enough that when you scrape it away before adding new it'll be just right for the compost pile. Pretty cool huh?

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Pat I've got it made, My farm is next door to the neighbour's saw mill. lol

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
1k Posts
1k Posts
There you go ready made compost almost, just pile it up and let it rot.

[Linked Image]

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Love that idea.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image