Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
We were gifted a baby Dwarf Alberta Spruce for Christmas. The poor thing was shipped to us in Alaska in a box from Oregon, and seemed a little traumatized by the shipping, lost some needles, etc. So it sat on the kitchen table through Christmas and needed a lot of water, but I think I missed a day or two and it started to lose some more needles. Anyway, I trimmed it on a whim and set it outside, thinking it would like the fresh air. (New Years Resolution -- stop doing things on whims with the plants!) Then I thought, maybe it's bad to stick it out into 10 degree weather just after pruning it? I brought it back in this morning after two days of outside, and it actually looks a little better, but I'm not sure. The plan is to plant it outside in the spring, but I'm wondering if it's okay to be out there now with such a drastic climate change from inside the house.

Thanks!

Last edited by phoebekitty; Jan 4th, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
I wouldn't think that the drastic temperature changes could be good for the tree. And putting it outside now seems to me would surely freeze the roots and possibly kill the tree. I would try to find an in-between spot for it. A cold room or by a cool window where it will get some light. Or in a basement with a light. Then I would move it outside gradually (harden off) once the temps drop no lower than 40F.

[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I would agree with mel - do NOT put it outside there now - it will definitely freeze to death!!!

By the way... where do you live in Alaska?
I lived in Anchorage for 13 months, and met my husband there too!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image