Rate Thread
#171933 Jan 14th, 2008 at 10:09 PM
Joclyn Offline OP
Deep Purple
2k Posts
OP Offline
Deep Purple
2k Posts
heya, everyone! i've been gone for a bit - totally caught up with what's been going on here. work, my furkids, work, house stuff, my furkids, tore a muscle in my abdomen and couldn't do diddly for 6 weeks, had to catch up on house stuff, work, the holidays, the furkids, etc.

hope everyone had nice holidays!!

i've had some additions to the family here and a loss.

there was a huge ferret rescue that happened in october (over 500 animals from a breeder that closed down) - i decided i HAD to give at least ONE of these sweet little ones a good home. since i couldn't go out to ohio myself and pick who i wanted (or, rather, let THEM pick me! :) ) i had to rely on the goodwill of someone else. she had pairs of youngsters or older and/or sickly singletons. i really wanted a young'un (already had two seniors; one of which was pretty sick) so, i decided i could deal with a pair (they bond, so you really shouldn't seperate them once they do).

then i saw the pics of this mid-older guy. and i fell in love! from the description, i figured he'd be a good companion for my lil bear once simba passed (which was a likely possibility what with her having numerous relapses of the ibd). so i opted for three.

so, without further ado:

the links are clickable if you want to see them larger.

this is winston. he's the biggest and the boofiest! has the bestest personality, too! very gregarious and just loves everyone (especially rusty the cat! haha ). he's just one huge cuddlybug and LUVS to give kisses! he's about 10 months old now

[Linked Image]

this is duncan. he's a bit on the shy side, probably 7-8 months old. had some issues at the beginning - mostly just kit stuff and the stress of the numerous moves didn't help. he's past most of the jumpiness now - still needs to become a bit more adventurous. definitely the 'second child syndrome' with this guy. is VERY observant and laid back; doesn't instigate trouble - will FOLLOW right into it though! he's a sweetie and he's the lapfert of the biz. he's more than a bit orangy from the bad diet they were fed. that'll clear out as the better food takes effect and he goes through the spring shed. might give him another shampoo as that might help it along. by the fall shed he should be looking nice and white where it should be and the brown parts will lose that orange tone as well.
[Linked Image]

the last one, the older guy isn't the one that i chose - kinda got jipped because his personality doesn't match what lil bear needs. he's WAY too active for her as she's blind. i'm more than a bit upset about it...especially since i lost simba a couple of days before christmas and now lil bear is by herself. they were cagemates for most of their lives - lil bear is turning 7 next week; simba was just three months younger - and i really feel for her. she's grieving and there's not much i can do for her. i tried to be prepared and both of us got a bit screwed over.

anyhoo, this is percy. sir persnickity. can't see in this pic - he's got a white bib and all his toes are white too and he has white splotches on his knees...so, the 'sir' bit for being nattily dressed and for his personality. for all the issues, he really is a sweetie though. very gentle and has never bitten (well, none of them have which really surprised me - even the kits don't bite which would be normal behaviour). he does have some serious trust and fear issues and is just now learning how to play like a ferret should play - god knows what it was like for him at the farm and he had years of it. he's about 4 or 5, so he experienced a lot of maltreatment and total confinement for all that time. he has come to trust me though - and, amazingly, did so pretty quickly. he's the perfect example of the true nature of ferrets - they really are sweet and loving animals (not the nasty creatures they've been made out to be by some). it's just so much a part of their nature that it's come through even with the awful situation he was subjected to.

[Linked Image]

oh, in case anyone wonders why i didn't realize he wasn't the one i'd chosen from the pics - they shed in the fall (anywhere from late august to december) and they can easily change color completely - not all of them do that, most do change coloring to some extent though. they were transported to me and it wasn't until i was revisiting old email because of a completley different issue that i realized he was a different animal from the one i'd chosen. by then, too late to do anything about it. they've been through enough trauma and moves.

so, we're doing what we can. i've seen some glimmers that he actually will adjust to the others (initially he wanted absolutely nothing to do with any of the other ferrets, not even lil bear who is the most gentle & sweet soul you'll ever meet), so i'm hoping that i'll be able to integrate them into one big group at some point!

i'm in the middle of year-end stuff at work, so things will be hectic for another month. i'll stop in as much as i can though!

Zone 6b
#172019 Jan 15th, 2008 at 05:27 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Joclyn--nice to see you again---and thanks for showing the pictures of you 'furkids'---they sure do look sweet & cuddly thumbup
you are so very kind to help them--bless you.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #172021 Jan 15th, 2008 at 05:36 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hey Joclyn, nice to see you back.

Oh my, ferrets are a handful~I bet you are having alot of fun with them.

Hope your tummy is healing well kissie

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #172148 Jan 15th, 2008 at 05:05 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wavy welcome back! i bet you are having fun with your critters, they look like a lovely handful!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image