Print Thread
Rate Thread
#185094 Feb 23rd, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I am thinking of putting in some berry bushes.. like blackberry... we have some wild ones around here, but not many. We have an area down by our barn, against the barn wall, that I was thinking of putting some.

How many would I have to plant to yield a decent amount of berries.. so I could freeze some and do some cobblers..?

Thanks!

Chester Thornless blackberries will give you 15 lbs or more per plant. I suggest thornless if you are going to do blackberries. They can be major pains with the thorns. We put in 4 plants, because we were told they would only give about 4 lbs/plant. We got that the first year. Second year, we got about 12 lbs/plant, and gave two away. Third year was over 15 lbs/plant, and we found that the ones we had given away were still there. If you have a bit of patience, it only takes one plant to give you all the berries you need, as they will start from branch tips if they touch the ground. One plant will give you all of the bushes you need. One word of caution, make sure you want them where you plant them, as they are very hard to get rid of if you change your mind.
Cheers
Dan

1k Posts
1k Posts
I wish I could grow berries. Do you know which varieties do best in the West & where can I buy some berry bushes?

Waiting for fall...
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks so much Dan!! I appreciate all that! I don't know where I want them yet.. and hubby doesn't even know I am planning these.. hehe Poor guy! spring comes and I am just a whirlwind.. he never knows what hit him.. =P

10k Posts
10k Posts

Bill #186401 Feb 26th, 2008 at 11:28 AM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks Bill!! But I think I am leaning more toward blackberries!! kissie

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Blackberry and raspberry care is so similiar that you can use the directions of one for the other---I was trained to prune & care for blackberries on raspberry canes. If I was starting over with berries, (and I am) I would begin with 3 or 4 plants. (they often come in bundles) if you find in a few years that you need more berries, you can take cuttings from the existing plants or even just bend down a branch from one plant & bury it while still attached to the mother plant. Then when you are sure it is rooted, you can cut it off so it is on its own. The wet spring weather is perfect for this.

They freeze very well and I even freeze juice so I can make fresh Jams & Jellies 'off season' Good luck.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh thanks JunieB!! I didn't know they were that similar. I don't care much for raspberries.. I will probably buy 3 or 4 bushes.. to start with.. I would rather have too many berries than not enough. And like you said, if I need more, I can start more later.

I just told hubby tonight that I wanted to start some this year.. and he said he thought we had to have them on a fence line.. is that true?? Do they have to have something climb on, or can they be freestanding??

Oh and I am also thinking of a blueberry bush! I found one in my Park seed catalog that I got today. I am so excited!!

1k Posts
1k Posts
I heard that's it's best to give the berry bushes support on a trellis or fence, but the spacing of the holes on the fence must be wide so air& wind can get through. You wouldn't want those berry bushes to get some disease.

Waiting for fall...
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well so far, all of the blackberry bushes I have seen in my catalogs say nothing about having to support them.. so I think that is probably good.. We have electric fencing.. and if we have bushes growing up around it, it grounds it out and it doesn't work very well..

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if you grow bushes, you don't need the trellis. if you grow vines, you do.

#187957 Mar 2nd, 2008 at 02:14 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks Jiffy!! kissie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image