Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Walmart had them in 4" pots pretty cheap.. I got 4 tulips, 2 hyacinths and a bigger pot of daffodils. They are all coming up already but I am afraid to plant them outside just yet. But am not sure if I should leave them in the house either.

What do I do with em? We had frost this morning, but I have noticed my neighbors Tulips coming up.. so would I be safe to go ahead and plant them ya think?

Thank you!

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if the ground has thawed, i'd think they will be ok.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ok, thanks Jiffy!

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I would wait until after they bloom this year and then plant them. The reason being that some may not bloom if they are transplanted now. But that is probably just my experience because I am ham handed. Good luck with your bulb bed. I love having one. I hope to add snowdrops and paper whites to it in future years.

[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
I would wait until after they bloom this year and then plant them. The reason being that some may not bloom if they are transplanted now. But that is probably just my experience because I am ham handed. Good luck with your bulb bed. I love having one. I hope to add snowdrops and paper whites to it in future years.

Well, why would they not bloom if I planted them now? I think they are meant to be planted for spring.. ie the 4"pots.. why I don't know. And I haven't decided whether I am going to do a bed per say or if I might just put them in the yard... I thought about planting them down by the end of our driveway, we have a very large rock and I thought they might look nice down there, but I would love to see them up here by the house. And I am planning on buying bulbs this fall to plant down around the rock and the lower edges of the yard..

What are snowdrops? I will have to look those up.. I also recently bought a bag of lily of the Valley roots and a bag of Bleeding Hearts roots. :wink:

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
they won't bloom if you disturb the roots. at least maybe not. BUT, if you dig the hole to accommodate all the soil from the pot, you can gently slide them out of the pot and into the hole without disturbing the roots. that's what i would do.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
tapfoot

I must be greek, never heard of doing bulbs in the spring.
Fall is the time here in zone 5 ... why

Any one have experience on that one/

blush

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
they won't bloom if you disturb the roots. at least maybe not. BUT, if you dig the hole to accommodate all the soil from the pot, you can gently slide them out of the pot and into the hole without disturbing the roots. that's what i would do.

Oh it figures! boohoo I planted them all today. I didn't know I had to be so delicate with the roots. They were all root bound and the dirt literally fell away. And I was so excited to see them all bloom. So, is it just this year they won't bloom? Man am I mad! madd

And Dodge, yes, bulbs typically get planted in the fall, but these are already in pots to be set in the soil for spring. :wink:

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
they may still bloom. they could, depending on how "disturbed" the roots were.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Usually I've always got the potted bulbs(usually as a gift) just for inside the house, and then in the fall I plant them in the ground....I sure hope they bloom for you! flwr

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
idea

I am anxious to hear if they do bloom .. That is one thing I arent sure of .

NOw does everyone clip the spent blossoms? I never did . in tulips or daffys.
Some say yes, some no??????

Maybe Bill knows.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well, there is nothing I can do now but wait. I really hope they bloom. The one tulip is already blooming.. was when I planted it. And I don't know if any of you remember me asking about the Hyacinth my daughter gave me.. she got it as a house warming gift for her new apartment, but she isn't allowed to plant perennials, so she gave it to me.. ?? Well, she cut it down before she gave it to me.. so is it ruined too? boohoo I am not starting out very well this spring, am I? =(

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Awww....well you really should leave all of the foliage to die back--but you couldn't help that she'd cut it down....the leaves absorb the sunlight for energy so it can grow the following year....I imagine that your hyacinth will eventually be fine....it might take a few years but I think it will be okay.

Barb, I do clip off spent blossoms, I just make sure I leave all the foliage. thumbup

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Geez!! Really??? A few YEARS?? shock Crud...

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the hyacinth will probably not bloom next year - it will put up some greenery though and then it'll be able to store the food needed for blooming the following year.

as for the others, they'll be what they will - blooming or not, that is. you may see shorter stalks than the usual this year - or not. it really depends on what kind of cold treatment they received at the growers (as in, did it really mimic nature or not quite as long as if you'd planted them last fall).

as long as the leaves stay green for a while, they'll store food for blooming next year.

Zone 6b
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

Thanks for all the thoughts .....
I still dont want to cut the dead blooms. However.. I won't advise either way.
To each his own.
That is my story and I am sticking to it>>>>>. neener neenee

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Guess what? ALL of them bloomed!! I am so glad.. it would have been such a bummer as I planted them all up here around the house and pond.. but everything is blooming beautifully.. and hubby even took a picture of some of the daffys with his new camera.. now if only he could find the cord to upload them, I could show you all! lol Thanks for all the input from everyone. As for the hyacinth my daughter gave me, it is still in the original pot sitting outside.. I suppose I should put it in the ground.. just in case it does come back next year.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

Glad to hear that ......See how nice they are......
Were sold on tulips ..lol

Go see the photos I posted today. Under active topics last 24 hours.

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I just caught this thread. I was given some potted forced tulip bulbs at easter. I asked & then decided to cut of the spent flowers, put them outside, water them every once in awhile, and let the rest of the plant die away.--

I am going to plant the bulbs in the fall. I hope I did right.

Pinkhorseofcourse I am so glad yours bloomed for you. thumbup Pictures???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
I just caught this thread. I was given some potted forced tulip bulbs at easter. I asked & then decided to cut of the spent flowers, put them outside, water them every once in awhile, and let the rest of the plant die away.--

I am going to plant the bulbs in the fall. I hope I did right.

Pinkhorseofcourse I am so glad yours bloomed for you. thumbup Pictures???

Well, I only have one picture.. of a daffodil. The rest of them were pretty much done by the time I thought to take pics.. egad But here is the Daff.

[Linked Image]

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh weird.. photobucket cut it off on the right side. Grrrr.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Very pretty daffy/
Just let them potted, and in the sun to catch some good stuff . When it drys down, take them out of the soil and put some where till fall.. like in a garage or something.. I put my bulbs in the plastic grape containers with holes in them. Nothing can chew them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Mine are already in the ground Dodge.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image