Print Thread
Rate Thread
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Anyone have any directions on planting weeping willows? Someone gave me one with roots...Another says they preform murder on a septic tank and sewage system?/

ANy advice ......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
weeping willow roots will search out water sources and they are extremely destructive. you definitely don't want to plant one near any water pipes and definitely not near a septic tank as the roots will go right through whatever barriers there are to get to the water!!

i don't know what kind of distance would be needed to protect pipes and tanks from the damage the roots will do.

they are absolutely gorgeous trees though!! my neighbors had one when i was a kid...it was in the backyard right at the end of the property so, it was midway between their house and the one next to ours and away from the water pipes (they came to the houses at the front/streetside). i don't think the roots ever did any damage. not that i know of anyway. my sis lives in our house now - i'll try to get in touch with her in the next couple of days to see if she ever heard anyone say anything about problems due to the roots.

Zone 6b
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
They also destroy paved driveways and wells.

Barb with all the land you own, you shouldn't have a problem finding a place to plant it though.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thanks Joc & Tam,

Now I am really scared..LOL

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
After 25 years of dealing with willows on my property, my best advice is to NOT plant one. But if you insist, plant it as far away from your house as possible. If you happen to be near a natural source of water, like a creek or stream, plant it as close to that source as possible. Also, if your property is sloped away from your house, plant it at the bottom of that slope.

My guess is that your memories are of willows in the wild and that's where these trees belong - in the wild. They are NOT a city tree unless you happen to have a very large piece of property with the conditions mentioned above.

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thanks Lawnman,

Still thinking..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
all the research i did before i planted mine was 20 feet minimum. so that's what i did. i got it from cindy.

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

Thanks Jiffy,

I think plants and trees grow differently in warmer climates also. I have found that out lots too..
However I did plant it and hope for the best .. Thanks .

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I planted mine on the ditch, they love water, I just broke a piece off and stuck it in the ground, now I have a tree

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
It is supposed to ruin your septic tank and pipe lines according to the complains..

z

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I know mine's about 10 foot from my pipes, alot of trees will grow into your pipes from whay I hear.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
That will make my day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I've tried to make sure not tpo plant anything where my pipes are. and I try and watch for over head wires too but I'm not as good at that.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Me too. But you never know what mother nature deals.

i got to go to bed......11:12, and I think my stupid cold is back.

nite

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
me too, got school tomorrow boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I've hear that roots usually go out to the edge of there limbs. So the drip line is a good indication of how far roots travel from a tree. Am I mistaken or is it the willow that is different?

I was thinking of having one in the front yard maybe I'll have to rethink that. Do they have miniature weeping willows?

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
willow roots will travel far beyond the limb edges. I've seen a driveway lifted from willow roots and the willow was on the far side...just amazes me.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
tHEY ARE HUNTING WATER..
Put them in a swamp.. I planted one where there is no anything .. Last week..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
My husband grew up with a weeping willow planted in his front lawn. It completely destroyed the sidewalk in front of their neighbor's house - lifted and cracked the entire thing. It also used to grow right into the upper front window if they didn't cut it back each year - Don would go visit his mom and cut it back for her. The first time I went with him to visit her, he spent the entire time cutting down that monster - some fun time for me, huh?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
any tree (and any bush, for that matter) will send roots out far past the drip line!!!

with trees, a guideline for the size of the root system is what is above ground. whatever you see above is duplicated below...and then some.

there are many trees that send out a lot of (small) surface roots as well as the tap and others that rely more on the tap. all, of course, are looking for moisture - some, like the willow are much more aggressive in the search and will go further and through things to get to water. others, like maple, develop large roots that can be the size of the branches...i came across one such root 15 feet from the trunk and two feet under the soil. i had to chop it out to plant the bush...thank goodness i'd already planned on taking the tree down (as cutting that root; especially such a large feeder, would damage the tree).

darn it! i was talking to my sis the other day and forgot to ask about the neighbors willow tree...

Zone 6b
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I don't worry too much with stuff like that just plant on the edges of my yard

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Hey does anyone know if you can grow a weeping wilow from a cutting I would really like to know Imm take a cutting and send one to my great grandma shes always wanted one but her mom never let anyone have one because of a saying she used to say... But over here at my sisters apartment they have them all surrounded the lake so i want to get some cuttings so please someone let me know asap on how to grow them and how to root them by this sunday please... because im going to plat some at my grandmas too... thank you

scott

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

lOOK NO further,, I have just planted a weeping willow some lady sent me , she rooted just put them in plain water.
I have more in a jar not rooted yet .

It is easily done they tell me..Go for it .

clap Your busy beacer..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
okay thank you barb! where should I take the cutting from on the tree? just take it off of a branch or something?

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup Try to take the young stuff which is skinniest .The heavier stuff would take longer.. Short pieces that come off the main artery will do.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
thanks barb! this apartment complex has like around 15 weeping willow trees i can think off of the top of my head... lol and hundres of hibiscuses so imma take cuttings from those too...

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

My pleasure..
thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
weeping willows are like maples and mimosas in that they grow runners and sprout from them. i have silver leaf maples out the wazzooo that we just mow over like grass, or chop with the ax from our ditches. now, i have a willow growing, we'll see how it does, but i wanted it!

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
We have one, but it is right near our creek which runs the full length of our property.. sorry, not much help am I?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,932
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image