Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#200745 Apr 11th, 2008 at 04:32 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello~ My husband and I are buying our first home, and there are rose bushes in the front of the house. I have never taken care of roses before, and I am freaking out! I love roses and I am afraid that they will die. What do I do first? Help?!?

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #200750 Apr 11th, 2008 at 04:36 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
What you do depends a bit on what area/zone you live in, Eva. roses aren't that hard to care for. You will get good advice here. I am sure someone will be posting a link to rose care soon for you to read.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Eva #200751 Apr 11th, 2008 at 04:43 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Eva!! I don't know what zone your in,, But I can say,, I have used coffee grounds and Diced up banana peels and put in the soil around the base of the roses. Only water from the bottom and don't let water splash back onto the leaves as water droplets on leaves create black spot and fungus,, I like to use 'rose Defense' by Green Light. Spray in the early hours of the morning before the sun hits them hard so the spray will dry,, do this on a regular bases to prevent fungus and black spot,, when you see a leave with black spots remove it immediately and throw it away do NOT let it lay around the soil,, Epson salt is great for roses as well just scratch some into the soil it will promote blooms,! thumbup

roses tend to get aphids as well, Plant some marigolds, or basil around the roses and it will deter aphids,, I also buy a bag of ladybugs and release them in the rose gardens as ladybugs feed on rose destroying insects, :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Tina #200827 Apr 11th, 2008 at 09:01 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jonni13
What you do depends a bit on what area/zone you live in, Eva. Roses aren't that hard to care for. You will get good advice here. I am sure someone will be posting a link to rose care soon for you to read.

What is a "zone?" I live in Sacramento CA, if that helps.

[Linked Image]

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #200847 Apr 11th, 2008 at 09:35 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #200880 Apr 11th, 2008 at 11:06 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you! I am 10a. So what now? I guess I am really dumb, but I don't get how that helps me? I am so lost!

[Linked Image]

Eva #200893 Apr 12th, 2008 at 06:23 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
roses are so easy in zone 10a. They don't need frost protection at all. Are the roses healthy looking and blooming? How tall are the bushes?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #201011 Apr 12th, 2008 at 06:00 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Tina #201253 Apr 13th, 2008 at 07:32 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jonni13
Roses are so easy in zone 10a. They don't need frost protection at all. Are the roses healthy looking and blooming? How tall are the bushes?

I think they are healthy. They come up about mid thigh. They have bloomed! I have seen a lot about pruning. I don't prune them now; do I?!?

[Linked Image]

Eva #201261 Apr 13th, 2008 at 07:44 PM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
mine were suppose to have been the mini roses, but one of the bushes is 3 foot tall, it still has the tiny roses on it, just the bush got tall

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Eva #201275 Apr 13th, 2008 at 07:59 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i don't prune mine often at all. usually every other year. but i'm lazy.

#201286 Apr 13th, 2008 at 08:14 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
If you prune, Eva, it would be best in mid winter. Here in Calif. that is in/around February. And you can pretty much prune them anyway you want. I've even taken hedge shears to some and they did just fine. Mostly, I like to trim them a little all year as I see a growth pattern that I don't care for or a sucker that needs removing. roses are far from a favorite plant for me. They grow like weeds and are down right hard to kill off sometimes.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #201434 Apr 14th, 2008 at 11:08 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
suzy, the term 'mini' when speaking about roses refers to the size of the flower, not the bush. they don't make that too clear though, in most of the catalogs!

as for pruning, i'll defer to others in your zone as for just when you should do it, eva. i'm in zone 6 so the timing is different here.

when you prune, you want to keep the bush nice and airy so that there is good air circulation throughout. so, you don't want too many branches growing inward and you don't want branches from two different canes to be overlapping and touching each other (helps to spread disease, if you get hit with it).

when trimming back, you always want to trim right above a new growth bud or an existing branch that is growing in the direction you want the plant to continue growing.

if you decide you want to move one of the bushes, you'll want to do that at a time when it's in a dormant state (which may not happen in your zone). AND you'll want to do the moving as early in the morning as possible and on an overcast day if you can manage it. before moving a rosebush, it's best to prune it back by at least a third of it's size (lessens the shock of moving it).

as someone else said, i only do pruning every couple of years. and may, or may not, do some light trimming in between. it'll be time, this fall, for a very hard pruning (down to just a couple of feet tall) of all the roses - one has not ever had a really hard prune and it's now seven years old (and way past due) and the roses i transplanted from the neighbors yard have been going for four years, now. so it'll be time to get drastic about it!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #201435 Apr 14th, 2008 at 11:16 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
Joclyn thanks for clearing that up, I sure thought it meant the bush stayed small too, and in summer time it's always loaded with the4 little mini roses.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #201622 Apr 15th, 2008 at 10:09 AM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, I get it, now. Thank you all so much! You have all been so helpful! I am such a newbie!
Does it need anything, else? I know someone mentioned coffee grounds, and eggshells.
Does it need bug stuff? I am sorry for all of the questions...

[Linked Image]

Eva #201655 Apr 15th, 2008 at 02:54 PM
Is it ok to have mulch around the base of roses? I have a lot of mulch around the base of mine, supposed to keep moisture in-weeds out right? Well, out of my 4 bushes 2 have died? Any ideas? And there not really bushes, kinda like thorny sticks coming out of the ground with a few leaves on them. Any help would be great!

Dana
Florida_grower #201686 Apr 15th, 2008 at 05:02 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
yes, mulch is okay. and something that would be needed in the hot florida weather to keep the soil moist longer!!

for any plants (and most especially roses) leave an area around the base of the stalk/trunk/cane clear of mulch. at least an inch of clear space from the plant base to where the mulch starts.

hopefully, florida, whereever you bought the roses from offers a warranty and hopefully, you're still within that timeframe so that you can get replacements!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #201838 Apr 16th, 2008 at 09:48 AM
No, I wouldn't be able to get replacements tears but thank you. Right now there is no space around the base of the plant, I'm going to clear it out around the base. I'm thinking that with the mulch piled around the base it wasn't able to get enough water, not sure.

Dana
Florida_grower #202890 Apr 20th, 2008 at 01:50 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
My rose bush has a virus already so now i'll have to dig it up and buy a new one.

Waiting for fall...
emdeGardener2 #209418 May 16th, 2008 at 11:02 PM
UR zone IS MOSTLY JUST TELLING YOU HOW UR WEATHER IS IN UR AREA WHICH MAKES IT EASIER TO TELL WHICH PLANTS THRIVE WHERE N SO ON N SO ON
I GOT 2 CLIMBERS NOW N THEY ARE DOING GOOD, BUT I THINK THEYRE MAN-MADE WHICH I DONT LIKE BUT THEY WERE GIFTS SO . . . WHOS TO BE PICKY HUH??
ONE BLOOM WILL BE ORANGE N THE BLOOM NEXT TO IT IS DEEP RED WHILE THE OTHER WILL BE A HOT PINK ETC ETC N SAME ON THE OTHER ONE TOO
I LIKE MY REDS, WHITES , AND (MY FAV) YELLOWS
I SEEN A PURPLE 1 ONE TIME THAT WAS BEATIFUL DEEP PURPLE BUT NOT FOR MY GARDEN
IVE EVEN SEEN BLACK ONES (BLACK TULIPS TOO) THEY ALL ARE UNIQUE N PRETTY VERY STUNNING rose COLORS BUT NOT FOR ME
I HIOPE UR roses GO WELL
THEY ARE FAIRLY EASY TO TAKE CARE OF
MY AUNT HAD A HUGE SIDE YARD AND IN THAT SIDE YARD SHE HAD RED RBUSHES, PINK BUSHES, N WHITE BUSHES OF roses DONE UP IN A MAZE IT WAS LOVELY AND WHEN I WAS A CHILD I ENJOYED PLAYING HIDE-N-GO-SEEK IN IT
COURSE SHES DEAD NOW N I DUNNO WHAT HAPPENED TO THE HOUSE/YARD/roses BUT . . . SHE WAS DISABLED SO SHE NEVR REALLY DID ANYTHING TO THEM
MY UNCLE WAS THE ONE THAT PRUNE THEM TO STAY SHAPED AS A HUGE BALL BUT HE DID THAST IN THE SUMMER TIME WHEN HE TRIMMED THE HEDGES N STUFF N THEY ALWAYS LET THE RAIN DO THE WATERING AND THEY STAYED BEAUTIFUL

PS-WELCOME TO THE FORUM
HOPE YOU GET THE HELP YOU NEED HERE

Stand upon the promises of God!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,887
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image