Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
jiff: click on that picture to get its description and say that one more time !!
i can arrange to supply you with a few -- I'm sure tamara can do likewise.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
actually i did. they are still beautiful and would be great for a small bed i have here. i'd love some, but i'd be shocked if they survived our summers...

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the bishops weed - pretty as it is - will end up going all through everything!!! i'd really say that you shouldn't use it - especially if there's any possibility of it being harmful to the horses!

wild violets would be wonderful - over a few years they spread decently and if they go further than you want, they're easy enough to pull up to stop them. you could also do vinca minor. yes, that will spread (and fairly quickly in a really sunny spot - again, it's easy enough to pull up to keep it in check.

some different bulbs that will naturalize would be good too. crocus, daffodil, grape hyacinth, tulip, bearded iris, daylily. if you put in some of all of those, you'll have blooms from early spring through late summer. and it would all be virtually no-care except to split some of the bulbs out every 3-4 years.

for fall color, sedum and mums and even the various asters. my shasta daisy bloomed twice last year - late spring and then in late summer/early fall, so that's another to consider. the grape hyacinths bloom in spring, die off and then sprout greenery again in late summer/early fall so it makes for a nice spot of green when other things are starting to die down (no flowers the second time, though).

i have bearded iris, grape hyacinth, daylily and the vinca if you want some.

Zone 6b
Anemone canadensis in the front yard:

[Linked Image]
Should grow nicely on that slope.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh I am getting such wonderful suggestions!! thumbup

Keep em coming!! clap

Oh Neko, you have those violets? Those are gorgeous!!! Even if I didn't use them on the hill, I would love to put them somewhere.. LOL I don't really have much to swap, but I would be willing to pay you for a couple/few.. Let me know.. send me a PM. kissie

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Mar 30th, 2008 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Added note to Neko
When they set seeds,around about June, I'll PM you, for sure. Sending seeds is the simplest approach, in view of across-the-border requirements regarding plants.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Of course, I understand! thumbup That would be awesome! Thank you! The only thing I have to share right now is seeds from my Hardy Hibiscus.. but I am more than willing to share! kissie

I tried to find pictures of my hibiscus in bloom and I can't find any.. I thought for sure I had some. why Anyway, the one I have is pink.. very pretty. Just let me know if you would be interested in some seeds! I am going to be starting a few soon in peat pellets, so I can keep you posted on how they do. :wink:

They're blooming here now; this pic was taken
from the driveway.
[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by neko nomad
When they set seeds,around about June, I'll PM you, for sure. Sending seeds is the simplest approach, in view of across-the-border requirements regarding plants.

violets set seed???? where...how do I harvest them---mine are past the blooming stage---this picture is from several weeks ago....4-16-08 if I read right...... why

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JunieGirl; May 22nd, 2008 at 02:30 PM.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Oh, do they ever set - and scatter - seeds!
Here's a drawing of a violet's structure,
I got through Google,showing the seedpod borne on a separate stem,
emerging from the plant's base.
[Linked Image]

The image links to a website on yard weeds re:Wild violet (Viola papilionacea).

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I just love the wild violets!! Neko, please let me know when you have seeds. thumbup

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; May 25th, 2008 at 07:02 PM.
Okay-y-y -- you asked for it.
Will contact you later, when they come in....

You may want to check this one, shown here by my driveway. I tolerate it, since I'm not a turf fan. Actually, I kinda like it: It grows freely amongst other
plants in my shady front yard.

[Linked Image]

Moneywort. You may find a supplier through Google,because I've seen it marketed somewhere some time ago. It doesn't make seeds, to the best of my knowledge.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Eh, I am not sure I like it.. But thank you for the suggestion. kissie

And yes, please do get in touch when the violets set seed! Yay! That is my birth month flower I think.. February.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image