Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I didn't get a picture of it, but I can.. it is very pretty. Green on the bottom part, with hot pink round top.. very cute. I have never had any cactuses (cacti?) and I have no idea why in the world she decided she wants a collection of them. why She is only 11.. lol

Anyway, there are no care instructions on the thing.. so how do I take care of it? And what kind of light does it need? Thanks guys! kissie

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Apr 1st, 2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
generally, they need very little watering and lots of sunlight. soil should be cactus mix that is mixed with perlite or small grit gravel to aid in drainage.

could you post a pic? there are SO many different kinds...it's hard to customize care instructions without knowing which particular one you've got!

plus, from your comment, it sounds like you got one of the type that has a fake flower glued to the top or maybe something that's been grafted. need to see it. especially if it's a graft - depending on what the two pieces are, the care could be different.

actually, cacti are great for kids who want to get into plants/gardening because they require so little care to do well (and we all know how quickly kids will forget about things!)

Zone 6b
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ok, here is a picture.

cactus.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
That is a very pretty plant Jennifer - love the color!
I've never had luck with grafted plants like that - hope someone can give you good advice. I do well with all other cacti, but not those for some reason.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
that's a gymnocalycium mihanovichii grafted on to something else - could be a few different types. i'm not on my comp at home so i don't have the exact name handy...it's probably the same base as the one i have, though. i got mine at halloween (advertised as the 'jack-o-lantern' cactus) and the top part is purple (lol, what else would i buy?! grin)

anyhoo.

the pink type can not live on their own - they need to be grafted to something (they don't have chlorophyl). they can bloom, though and the flowers are really pretty!

it should be repotted into cactus soil mixed half/half with small stones/gravel. i got some un-treated stone gravel at the aquarium store to use (couldn't find anything marketed specifically for using with cactus other than the cactus soil which doesn't have any stones in it). make sure to get un-treated gravel. something that is 'natural' and isn't colored or polished.

i'd put it in an unglazed clay pot, too - and a little larger as the grafted pieces are more than a bit top-heavy, so the heavier clay balances the weight out nicely. make sure it has a drainage hole, too.

water very sparingly!! the stock used as the base tends to get root rot, so, let the soil dry out very, very well before giving it a drink...and give it just enough water to moisten the soil. there should be just the tiniest bit that drains out the bottom when it's watered.

they need even less water during the winter months - i've only watered mine twice since october - it's about time to water it again. once the warmer weather sets in, your daughter can water once a month. and if she forgets and does it late, it won't hurt the plant at all!! these types of cactus are desert cactus, so they're used to going without water for extended periods of time.

Zone 6b
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wow. Thank you! So this isn't a normal occurring cactus? It is 'created' that way. why

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Yes Jennifer - that's what I meant above by grafted. They take the pink part and "stick" it on top of another cactus that will keep the pink part growing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
yup, sometimes the grafting technique is used with cacti. sometimes because a particular plant is a very slow grower and grafting it onto something will speed up it's growth. other times, the plant can't survive on it's own - as is the case here.

Zone 6b
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well, it is pretty and she likes it.. soooo I just watered it for the first time a couple days ago.. I would rather under water it I think.. than over water it.. am I correct in that way of thinking?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yup, we had cacti here when DD was young and we only watered them once a month from November to February(rest period). Then just a little once a week for the rest of the year. I always just sat them in a little dish and watered them from the bottom, just what they could drink up in 3 minutes.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
once every 4 to 6 weeks during winter is perfect. once every 2-3 weeks during summer growing period is more than enough. every week would be too much.

Zone 6b
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
So far I've had good luck with my little cactus garden. I hardly watered it all during the winter months and have only given it a few small drinks since the first day of spring. They are growing and seem to be doing well. I potted mine in an unglazed terra cotta pot. It gets good drainage but I'm so paranoid of overwatering that I don't usually give it enough water for it to actually drain out the bottom. These are my first cactuses (sp? I don't know how to spell that correctly either). I would have loved to find one like yours, it's so pretty! Good luck with it!

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ok, we bought two more cacti last night at WalMart. They both have the dried flowers glued to the tops but they are neat looking and my daughter likes them. I am kind of disappointed with them.. that the flowers are fake. But anyway, here is a pic of them. Are the care instructions pretty much the same for these as well? And also, is it really necessary to re pot them? I mean I don't mind doing that, if it needs to be done.. and my daughter wanted to know why an unglazed clay pot?? She found some nice colorful pots that she thought about using, but I told her someone here had said unglazed clay would be best.. and she wanted me to ask.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; May 1st, 2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: trying to fix picture
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i hate when they glue the fake flowers on!!! that just makes no sense and actually can hurt the cactus and/or keep it from producing the real flowers!

they are really nice colors...should be removed though.

you use unglazed clay because cacti live in the desert so they don't like to be wet. unglazed clay allows for more air exchange so that the soil will not stay too moist for too long. glazed clay and plastic hold the moisture in and that would be bad because a lot of the different cactus will get root-rot fairly quickly if over watered and/or they soil doesn't dry out quickly enough.

not watering during their dormant period (which is in winter for the majority of them) is the best way to not kill your cactus.

i don't like the unglazed stuff either...so, i put the unglazed pot inside a larger decorative container to hide the ugly orange. just make sure there is good air-space between the two. i usually go up at least two inches in diameter for the decorative pot and then use a few packing peanuts to hold the clay pot firmly in.

and yes, they really should be repotted and put into the proper soil - cactus soil mixed with a lot of perlite and/or small stones.

that peat stuff just isn't good for the cacti (or any other plant). once it dries out completely, any water won't be able to get to the roots - initially, that won't matter here as cacti can go for very long periods without any. at some point, they're going to need to drink and then they won't be able to. and the peat can't be re-hydrated once it's completely dried...so, best to repot now and be done with it for a few years.

Zone 6b
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
hubby likes the cacti, I usually water when I can remember and they pretty much take care of their selves. Full sun, in summer I find a place to set them out side

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Those are some very nice looking cacti!

I agree with Joclyn - you should take the fake flowers off - it looks like they are glued right onto the growing tips of both of them - not smart at all!

Once you are more experienced with growing cacti, you can actually use some of those decorative pots - I have some small ones in glass candle holders without drainage holes and I am very careful about how much water they receive. One of them was part of a cactus grouping that I gave my husband for his office a few years ago. It was totally neglected there and mostly dead when he brought it back home last summer. It was also the only thing in that pot that had a tiny bit of green left to it!!! I put it in this small votive glass holder and water it very rarely with only a few drops of water - it has more than doubled in size since then!

Here's a picture... the lighter areas are really healthy and green - the camera flash bleached it out!
[Linked Image]

Here is another one in a glass cat votive holder that I've had for many years now.
I need to repot it, as it's been growing towards the sun in the west window.
[Linked Image]

Here is a succulent that I got last summer and kept on the deck in full sun til I brought it inside last fall. It did get a bit sunburned outside turning a bit brownish, but greened right back up once inside. It must be happy in this glass votive with just drops of water every now and then, as it has sent up this very long flower stem!!!
[Linked Image]

And... a VERRRRRRRRRRRY tall and skinny cactus that a friend gave me a start of about 5 years ago -
she gave me about a 4 inch piece - this thing is NOT staked - it's really bazaare!
That is a full yard stick next to it for size!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
nice cacti!!! i really love that first one - wonderful form!! looks adorable in that votive, too!! yes, it would literally be just drops of water in that type container - you're doing something right since they're thriving!

the aloe is wonderful - don't you just love how the flower spike is SO huge?! would love to see the blooms when they open.

the last one is a euphorbia rather than a cactus. very, very cool plant! and, again, you're definitely doing something right!! they're faster growers than cacti...still, i don't think they're normally that quick! so, keep doing whatever you're doing...the plants are loving it!!

Zone 6b
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

I threw out my jaggy ones last year, got tired of pulling the tiny jaggers out of my skin.

I have the other types tho.. They are a bit crazy .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
yes, the pokeys can be a bit annoying!! just gotta learn how to handle them...in other words, don't touch 'em unless you have to!! grin

the blooms they put out make the pokeys worth dealing with though!! they really have amazingly beautiful flowers!!

Zone 6b
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
We got another cactus.. it has REAL flowers on it.. yellow ones.. The name of it is Indian something I think.. I don't have pics yet will do that soon.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
mooo mooo

Well get on your horse an get the pictures women......
We wait an wait an wait............. tapfoot

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I was going to take pics of it last night, but the flowers were closed.. today.. K? :wink:

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
nono

Shame Shame.....
lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,932
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image