Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#211622 May 26th, 2008 at 05:55 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
My "baby" sister lives in a condo in Atlanta, GA, that has a south-facing balcony and no ground planting area. She does most everything in containers of one kind or another. It gets tons of sun and was already gettin' hot as blue blazes in April since the condo is in the downtown area. She's having trouble finding things that can tolerate those living arrangements. Are there any kinds of flowers or interesting plants that can withstand that environment...other than cacti?

Kalar

"Make Known the Unknown."
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
it's been in the 90's here all week,, and my back yard is south facing and gets all afternoon sun until the sun goes down, I've have these,, most of them for years,,

Portulaca grandiflora *(moss rose)
cone flowers
lantana
lavender
Herbs,
Pineapple sage,
salvia's
bachelor buttons,,
marigolds
kangaroo paw
orange african Bulbine
dianthus
jewels of opar
sedum looks really nice in a container pot,, with different varieties in it,, so some will cascade down while others stand tall in the center,, different color combination will look really nice,, especially when it blooms at different times,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Are some or all of those in containers or in the ground? She has to do containers of some kind for everything.

Kalar

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Diane gave you a great list of plants! I, too, have a balcony that gets sun from noon til it sets in the summer. I've also had success with potato vines - very pretty hanging down from the railing!

Castor bean plants do very well also if she has the room - they get very large tropical leaves, but be careful as the seeds are extremely toxic.

Cannas do well in pots there, vegetables too!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
Diane gave you a great list of plants! I, too, have a balcony that gets sun from noon til it sets in the summer. I've also had success with potato vines - very pretty hanging down from the railing!

Castor bean plants do very well also if she has the room - they get very large tropical leaves, but be careful as the seeds are extremely toxic.

Cannas do well in pots there, vegetables too!

Seems like she mentioned potato vines but I can't recall if she said she's trying them or if she did try them and they turned up their toes. I'll have to ask her.

Cannas do well in pots???? shock Is it a particular 'flavor' of Canna that does well? That would be very pretty. Would you please elaborate on that.

Kalar

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I have grown dwarf yellow cannas in large pots on my deck with great success. Of course they don't get as large as they would in the ground, but they did get to be a very nice size and had wonderful flowers. I also grew an un-named orange canna in a large pot from another member here last summer and got beautiful flowers.

Here's a picture of my deck in 2004 - I had lots of potato vines growing then - in the small planter boxes on the railing and large pots on the floor, and the smaller pots on the railing have pineapple sage in it. Geraniums in the planter boxes on the floor, and castor bean in the pot in the corner. The 2 small pots on ther railing had gazanias in them - they LOVE the hot sun!
[Linked Image]

Close-up of potato vines in a very small planter box on the railing:
[Linked Image]

Another pot full with a penta mixed in - butterflies love them!
[Linked Image]

Here is the orange canna blooming in a pot.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
WOW!! Beautiful pics!!! thumbup clap

Gonna share this info AND the pics with my sister. She'll get all inspired and stuff. bop

Thanks ever so much!!

Kalar

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Kalar
WOW!! Beautiful pics!!! thumbup clap

Gonna share this info AND the pics with my sister. She'll get all inspired and stuff. bop

Thanks ever so much!!
maybe she'll join us!

Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
I wish she had the time. She was senior editor at a publishing company in Atlanta and she use to fuss about how disorganized the process was. They made her Managing Editor a few months ago and said "fix it." She's been working almost constantly since then....10-12 hour days, 6 and 7 days a week. Plus she has 2 dogs to take walking twice a day. egad

Kalar

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
oh my... well, it was a thought! maybe when the dust settles? why

Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
The potato vines suggestion prompted a memory of my sister telling me something about trying potato vines. I couldn't remember whether she had tried or them or not so emailed her. She said she did do potato vines last year and they did great but that they , her words, "SUCKED water like crazy" so she dropped them this year. She did that because she's working such long hours this year and can't stay on top of the watering to the same extent she could last year.

I'm thinking she may have to do one of those Japanese sand/rock gardens. One of those you run a little rake through to make the lines, ya know? Then she'll be done. LOL haha

Kalar

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image