Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#213486 Jun 4th, 2008 at 10:25 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
This is what my lilies are up to in my back yard. bop

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn144/kwgrid/?action=view&current=2b5ad23e.pbw

Question: Is it better to do a couple of pics at a time for dialup folks?

Kalar

"Make Known the Unknown."
Kalar #213492 Jun 4th, 2008 at 11:27 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
When you're posting links, you can post as many as you like. When posting pics themselves...we try limit to three per post.

By the way, thanks for asking.

Signed.....the dial up gal haha

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #213493 Jun 4th, 2008 at 11:30 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hmmm, it won't load in for me but yet shows the URL tag. Cr@ppy dial up. Gonna try see if I can direct post it so I can see it.

[Linked Image]

Sorry, got it loaded up now. It was a slideshow , that's why the trouble. very beautiful lily's...especially loving the orange one.

Last edited by tamara; Jun 4th, 2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Tried to delete...

Sunflowers #213499 Jun 4th, 2008 at 11:52 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Rats! I thought I said it was a slideshow. No, you didn't, Kalar. tapfoot

So sorry. I 'meant' to say that.... sigh.... These 'senior moments' are turning into minutes...could be hours for all I know. tears

Kalar

Sunflowers #213501 Jun 4th, 2008 at 11:59 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
The orange stripey one is my favorite, too. Gotta tag where those are so when I thin that bed out, I can make another one with just those...hopefully.

All of the Day lilies are in the same bed. They're under a mid-size dark purple Crepe Myrtle tree. I'll get a pic the whole vignet. :wink:

Sure would be pretty if the lilies and the Crepe Myrtle all bloomed at the same. The lilies are about done when the tree blooms about the end of June, 1st of July and blooms for about 90 days. It's dark purple when I give it a shot of Miracle Gro All-purpose plant food every few weeks. flwr

Kalar

Kalar #213580 Jun 4th, 2008 at 05:08 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
I bought a mixed bag if lily bulbs last week, still haven't planted them yet. I'd love to see your pic of the full bed of them.

Sunflowers #213610 Jun 4th, 2008 at 05:32 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by tamara
I bought a mixed bag if lily bulbs last week, still haven't planted them yet. I'd love to see your pic of the full bed of them.

I practiced doing video clips with my new camera and walked around the lily bed to get a shot of all of them as proof that I didn't grab those pics from some website somewhere. lol It takes a long time to load those to Photobucket. I'll have to wait and do that tomorrow. (Reminds me of Scarlet O'Hara in "Gone With the Wind". "I can't think about that right now. I'll think about that tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." zoink

[Linked Image]

Kalar

Kalar #213615 Jun 4th, 2008 at 05:35 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
I can't upload video pics. My dial up is so cr@ppy....I hope we get high speed aound here soon.

Oh, that is lovely. I have been trying to come up with a plan for a lily bed...maybe I'll steal that idea grin

I have extra flagstone rock I could use...

Sunflowers #213623 Jun 4th, 2008 at 05:45 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by tamara
I can't upload video pics. My dial up is so cr@ppy....I hope we get high speed aound here soon.

Oh, that is lovely. I have been trying to come up with a plan for a lily bed...maybe I'll steal that idea grin

I have extra flagstone rock I could use...

A flagstone lily bed. What a great idea!! That would be gorgeous! thumbup

I had dialup for 2 years up until 6 months ago. egad I didn't do much online so it didn't matter much. AT&T made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Not all 'bundles' are bad. The ones that don't 'expire' after 'x' amount of time are the best. :wink:

Hughesnet has a satellite high speed. It's supposedly available everywhere and all you have to have is a clear view of the southern sky. (Their words.) However, I'm sure it would be similar to DirectTv which is satellite. On stormy days forget it. But it's not usually unavailable for too long. If we ever have a storm front that moves in and sits, no tv. With Hughesnet there would be no t.v. and no computer. But it might be great if that's the only thing available.

Kalar

Kalar #213641 Jun 4th, 2008 at 06:24 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
very nice. i like it! and for satellite, it depends on where you are and how much it is. it was over $500 for installation here. not worth it. i stayed with dialup until the phone co went to dsl (i'm on a telephone coop, boonies here too lol )

#213650 Jun 4th, 2008 at 06:33 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
very nice. i like it! and for satellite, it depends on where you are and how much it is. it was over $500 for installation here. not worth it. i stayed with dialup until the phone co went to dsl (i'm on a telephone coop, boonies here too lol )

$500!! Good grief, Charlie Brown!! yikes

I didn't know there were still places in the world that had telephone coops!! Can I move there? Is there somewhere I can pitch a tent? grin

Kalar

Kalar #213654 Jun 4th, 2008 at 06:38 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Kalar
...I didn't know there were still places in the world that had telephone coops!! Can I move there? Is there somewhere I can pitch a tent? grin
sure, you can camp on the middle 2 acres. i live on five. the front two i actually "live" on, the middle two just sit there, and the back acre is wetlands.

#213659 Jun 4th, 2008 at 06:53 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
[quote=Jiffymouse sure, you can camp on the middle 2 acres. i live on five. the front two i actually "live" on, the middle two just sit there, and the back acre is wetlands. [/quote]

Oh my goodness!! How fabulous is that?!! My little piece of ground isn't even 1/2 an acre. But it's all I can handle and sometimes I can't even do that. I do all my mowing, yard work, house maintenance, etc. If I moved out there and lived in a tent, I could just pull up enough grass to keep a circle around it, be able to see snakes or other varmints coming ahead of time, build a little rock circle for fire, etc. Lovely. I wouldn't have the neighbors looking askance at me if the grass got kinda high. haha

Kalar

Kalar #213661 Jun 4th, 2008 at 06:55 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i don't even try to keep a full acre clear. and we don't mow but about once a month. the neighbors can't see so why should i care!

#213665 Jun 4th, 2008 at 07:04 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
i don't even try to keep a full acre clear. and we don't mow but about once a month. the neighbors can't see so why should i care!

Exactly! As my grandmother use to say "I am much of your opinion." :wink:

Not to keep a 'visiting' thread going too long but I have to tell ya this little story. My area is part country, part suburban. Several years ago when I still working and had been sick for a while, the yard was neglected. The grass got to be about a foot high. A day or so later when I was talking with my neighbor he said he had some visitors one day and they asked who had that house for sale. haha Of course he told them it wasn't for sale and what made them think it was and they said it was because it was a cute house but the grass was all grown up. egad He laughed and laughed. He came by later that day with his riding lawnmower and mowed it for me. :ding: (He's just a friend. I've known him my entire life. nono)

Kalar

Kalar #213667 Jun 4th, 2008 at 07:23 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
cute grin

#213671 Jun 4th, 2008 at 07:32 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline

So your whole place is a little off the beaten path? Sounds really nice. I'm sure as with most things, it has its own particular downside. But if you're happy, that's all that matters. grin

Catchya later, gator!! wavy

Kalar

Kalar #213697 Jun 5th, 2008 at 01:21 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have to get a lawnmower. I don't have so much grass; but, I do have a bunch of weeds and they grow very fast. Next year I'll work on the seed and weed or whatever that stuff is called. I've never had a lawn to take care of before. That's going to be a big job. Especially on a slope.

[Linked Image]
#213699 Jun 5th, 2008 at 01:26 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts

installation was free, at first they wanted a ton to install but when no one took it they dropped the price, they had it here for about 4 years and I just now took it, they offered a package deal, high speed and free long distance

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #213703 Jun 5th, 2008 at 01:39 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
good morning-yep I too have just been on high speed for a bit----like the man said--they made me an offer I could not refuse.----it is thru the phone company--DSL, free long-distance, all the bells & whistles that go with it, and a mid-ranged cable package---so for the same money i was paying before I get the DSL and a better cable package---(I had the free phone---with teh girls living away like the did, it made my phone bill cheaper.)

teh catch??/ I had to say I would take it for 18 months---but they have a monopoly on service here so I figure whats the diff--well I think the diff is the price will come down---oh well---such is life.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
tkhooper #213704 Jun 5th, 2008 at 01:41 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
I have to get a lawnmower. I don't have so much grass; but, I do have a bunch of weeds and they grow very fast. Next year I'll work on the seed and weed or whatever that stuff is called. I've never had a lawn to take care of before. That's going to be a big job. Especially on a slope.

be careful with the slope. perhaps you might want to consider getting the 'lawn' cut by someone---if you do not have a lot of area perhaps it would be worth it not to have to worry about it???

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
tkhooper #213760 Jun 5th, 2008 at 05:33 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline

Reckon a self-propelled mower would make that slope easier? I guess it depends how steep the slope is and how much exercise you want to get. grin My sister had a self-propelled mower one time and it was a bear to deal with on ground that wasn't smooth because it was so heavy and there are areas in her yard that are really bumpy.

I have just a regular little lawnmower that you can't even adjust the cutting height on. It's a lot lighter and more maneuverable. I can get close enough to go around things and not have to weedeat. I may have to mow a day or two sooner because I can't cut the grass really low, but at least it doesn't wear me out so bad and it doesn't tear the ground up.

Kalar

Kalar #213766 Jun 5th, 2008 at 05:44 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I'm thinking of a manual. I can never pull the rope on the other kinds. And then I'll mow across the slope rather than trying to go up or down. And your right, my yard is all lumps and bumps now. Many of them are rocks, big and small rocks. As soon as I can afford it most of the front yard will be flower beds with little to no grass at all. But it's going to take time to compost enough to get it there. Right now I'm 4 tons and 400 lbs into it and still have at least another 8 tons to go. And that's a bunch of compost lol.

I've heard that it's better not to mow real close to the ground because if you let the grass stay taller it's easier for it to choke out the weeds. That's just what I've heard. I think I mentioned somewhere that this is my first lawn.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #213767 Jun 5th, 2008 at 05:47 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline

BTW, if you plan to 'grass' your area and depending on where you live, St. Augustine is gorgeous and it gets so tightly packed that weeds can't grow....well, except in very early spring before the Augustine gets up good. But after that, no weeds. And when the weather gets really warm, it slows down and you don't have to mow as often.

I live behind where I grew up at my Grandmother's and her yard is full of St. Augustine. No money to buy Augustine sod (it comes in sod at the nursery) so I cut a bunch of patches once in a while and stuck them around my yard (new construction and they put down Bermuda grass which I don't like). The grass from her yard also started creeping into mine. It took years since I only put pieces here and there but now it's 99% covered front and back and is very pretty. I love its dark green color and it's soft underfoot when it thickens up. And it'll choke out just about everything once it's thick. I love it. luv And I only fertilize it with Augustine fertilizer every few years and it seems to do fine. If a body wants to cover an area really quick, then this is not the grass to get unless you can afford to sod the whole area. :wink:

Kalar

tkhooper #213772 Jun 5th, 2008 at 05:55 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm thinking of a manual. I can never pull the rope on the other kinds. And then I'll mow across the slope rather than trying to go up or down. And your right, my yard is all lumps and bumps now. Many of them are rocks, big and small rocks. As soon as I can afford it most of the front yard will be flower beds with little to no grass at all. But it's going to take time to compost enough to get it there. Right now I'm 4 tons and 400 lbs into it and still have at least another 8 tons to go. And that's a bunch of compost lol.

I've heard that it's better not to mow real close to the ground because if you let the grass stay taller it's easier for it to choke out the weeds. That's just what I've heard. I think I mentioned somewhere that this is my first lawn.

If you get a manual, then Augustine is not for you. Once it thickens up, you'll never get a manual through it if it gets any growth on it at all before you mow. Parts of my yard are so thick that I have to lean into my mower to get through it. Needless to say, that part of my yard doesn't have a single weed in it even before the Augustine comes back up in spring.

While you're in transition to your flower beds, you might consider Bermuda gras. I'm thinking it would be easier to mow with a manual. Just a thought.

Kalar

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image