Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Tina #215482 Jun 12th, 2008 at 05:48 PM
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Im so happy today i guess ive just been having mood swings lately... but its rained almost everyday for the last 3-4 days yay me! except my roses are going to get yellow leave i just know it its been to wet to feed them that systemic stuff... soo.. yea im keeping a close eye on them... it quit raining about 1 hour 30 min ago but its still thundering and dark out but i went outside to do some work anyway i re edged the front the grass was starting to creep into where the flowers were i weeded a lil bit trimed my plumbago put ant killer all over the yard.... and made somethign to keep the water from messin with the mulch from a gutter that has no down spout i guess someone stole it a long time ago i finally just came up witht the idea to put a big pot there i had left over and just drill more holes into it and put some big rocks in there to wait it down... im going to keep an eye on it to make sure i have it in the right area... lol.... so yea im going to go and take a shower i smell like ant killer... so yea.... bye bye yall

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
toposh #215487 Jun 12th, 2008 at 06:15 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Yeah Scott, ant killer is not the most attractive scent! neenee lol

wavy

#215509 Jun 12th, 2008 at 07:36 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Maxi arrived home late, exhausted, hungry and a tad sunburned on his shoulder. He also was sporting an airbrushed tattoo. He said they had a blast. He spent most of his time in the whirlpool, wave pool and an area called something like "lazy river" (I forget). He so wants to go back again and again. It is only about an hour or so away, so not impossible to arrange!

Tina your chicken enchaladas a la Bill sound very good. Someday, I might try them also but I've only eaten enchaladas once, back in 1975 when I lived in California for a while. I thought the ones I had were very good.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #215515 Jun 12th, 2008 at 07:56 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Oh, I too love the enchiladas! You can put most anything in them as long as you have some good enchilada gravy and some cheese...he he. it is a lot of prep though.
We had a very good day today. very busy - the way I like it. I had to water some again today, even though we got a really good rain the day before yesterday. I guess everything was just so dry to begin with? I notice the ground today is already back to cracked.
got the kidos to help with some mowing around the property today. once school was out I put a big dead end to the 'nickel and diming and can you buy me that it's only a dollar'. So, they did a little sweating today behind the lawn mower to earn some money for the next dollar store or walmart trip.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #215524 Jun 12th, 2008 at 08:18 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I can't wait til Father's Day is over and we can get rid of this Macy's ad! It jams up my poor ol' PC so badly!!

Cricket, good for you for having the kids put some sweat equity into their next purchases. I made arrangements today to do the same thing with Maxi when he gets home from school tomorrow.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #215526 Jun 12th, 2008 at 08:27 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
funny. I was gonna ask you about that merme! sometimes I feel like such a whipper cracker, but I really think kids should understand and appreciate what it takes to earn a dollar.

glad maxi had a good time today. we have a water park about an hour and half away from us. prob it it's the only one around unless you wanna drive 3-4 hours. so, needless to say it gets very packed. if you don't get in within the first couple of hours it is open you CAN'T get in. they lock the gates...up to capacity. we don't bother with it anymore.

Cricket

cricket #215540 Jun 13th, 2008 at 03:15 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Oh, I have a theory or two about kids, money, working and such things, Cricket.

Maxi occasionally recieves an allowance. That allowance is NOT connected with the chores he has to do.

He does chores because he is a responsible member of this family and shares in the family's work. He gets an allowance sometimes because he is a beloved member of the family and shares in the family's bounty. When there is extra, he gets some too.

Sometimes, if something important is going on, he will seek ways to earn money from me and will come up with extra projects he might do.

Ever since he was very young, he's been saving his money in three little banks I made for him out of coffee cans. When I started giving him an allowance, I gave it to him in dimes to make it easy for him to divide it all up. Then I gave it to him like this:

Here is a whole dollar Maxi for your pocket! You can spend it on anything you want the very next time we go to the store!
Here is 50 cents, Maxi, for your charity/church bank. (That can was decorated with cutout pictures of charities he loved and of a church).
Here is $2, Maxi, for your short-term savings. This is the bank you use to save up for a new book, toy, movie tickets, or something like that. (This bank was decorated with pictures of fun things).
Here is $1.50, Maxi, for your long-term savings. This is the money you do not spend! It is the money that keeps you rich! (This bank was decorated with monopoly money, fake gems and a few real coins glued on)

He was always so excited to get to the store and spend his Pocket Dollar! When he'd ask for some trivial thing, I'd tell him to count his short-term savings piggy bank to see if he could afford it. Or how close he was to it. The necessity of counting his money and figuring it out slowed him down from wanting to spend it all instantly on the first thing he heard of or saw. Every now and then we'd empty his charity bank and send it off to a charity he cared about. Maxi also has always earned money (usually by recycling cans and bottles for 5 cents each) to add to his charity bank.

I spent many years teaching adults simple principles for managing money -- how to write a budget that makes sense, how to open and use a banking account, how to pay bills and save, etc. I had just met too many adults who didn't have even a basic understanding of handling money, that I really wanted my son to learn early.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #215546 Jun 13th, 2008 at 04:37 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Morning.

Merme that was a wonderful way of giving allowance kissie you're such a good mother.

Someone better open a new coffeehouse in a few.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #215564 Jun 13th, 2008 at 08:29 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
you are a good mommy! and have way more patience than me. If I was to do that with my kids I get a thousand questions and complaints. ha ha. my daughter is very good with her money, but not my son. If my daughter has five bucks she'll buy something for two and figure out ahead of time how much money she'll get back. if my son has five bucks he'll buy something for 4.99 and ask if he can do a paying chore when he gets home to cover the tax. gotta come up with some simple way for him to start saving. your right, merme, about how they need to learn early about saving money. life skill. you got me thinking.

Cricket

cricket #215614 Jun 13th, 2008 at 01:36 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~CLOSED~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New one opened.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image