Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#215225 Jun 11th, 2008 at 09:15 AM
OP Offline
I have a plant that is either an airplane or spider plant (I am not sure of the difference); however, this plant is white in the middle and green on the outer edges of the leaves. I have another that has an all green leaf.

The one that I am concerned about is the first one. It seems that the color is fading. My mom moved it the outer edge of the window where it doesn't get much light, could that be the problem?

Thanks, Carla

Carla
Zone 6a
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
there are different varieties that have different coloration...all are the same species.

they do best in bright indirect light. can do well in full sun or fair amount of shade. whenever you're moving them to new light conditions, it should be done gradually so the plant has time to adjust.

it probably just needs a good watering...check the soil and if it's dry, give it a good drink.

Zone 6b
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
yep I agree with Joclyn wavy I have one outside hanging in dappled shade and one inside hanging a bit to the side of a window that only gets early morning sun by 10 am it only gets indirect light and is doing very well. I found that when it got direct sun it turned lighter in color so I moved it out of direct sun and gradually it went back to the green,
The Green and white one you have is the variegated that's what I have!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
The airplane plant is also a spider plant, spider plants come in many variations, all green, green with a white stripe, green with white edges, some with yellow etc. The Airplane plant is basically a curly spider plant.

Apparently spider plants do fade when they are removed from the light. See about moving it back or to another location.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I have my spider plant where it gets indirect light--and not much of it
(I have it to the side of my glass sliding doors, which face west---but I keep the vertical shades on them closed because--& if opened in the afternoon my houe becomes a green house)---it is doing very well there. I water once a week.

perhaps I should mantion the blinds are not insulated, so some light gets thru. :wink:

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image