Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
KathyAd Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone know of good ORGANIC options to deter pests (rodents and bugs) from our flowerbed? Our flowerbed is filled with a number of perennials, some of which were new last summer and others have been there several years. We went through this past winter (we are in Massachusetts), and when the snow melted, it looked like something had eaten a number of our perennials. I am guessing a mole, since there were many small trails the width of a mole or chipmunk, just in the part of our flowerbed that was "eaten." That area also looked like someone had been digging around there. The plants affected were: (1) We have several euonymous that normally look the same year-round, but it looked like someone had just cut them straight across a few inches from the ground. There were no leaves, just a small cluster of twigs sticking out of the ground. These are slowly growing back. (2)We also have some yellow Sundrops, that just didn't sprout out of the ground in the spring -- they are just gone. There is a Sundrop plant here and there that came up and looks fine, but most of the Sundrops are just gone. (3) We have some Dianthus that, like the Sundrops, just never came up. They are altogether gone. We'd had these several years and they were fine, but last summer I moved them to a different part of the flowerbed. They seemed fine throughout the summer. (4) Cushion spurge (bonfire) - I planted some cushion spurge last summer, and this spring it just looked like twigs, so I assumed it was deciduous. But now I've read it's herbaceous, so I'm wondering if something at it. It recovered and grew in again this summer.

So I am wondering if people know of something good that's ORGANIC I can do to protect my plants this winter? I also have a Peony bush that looked great this spring and had some flowers, but when I went to cut the flowers, I noticed white bugs all over the bush. Soon after, the flowers fell over, and the whole bush looks droopy. I think there is also alot of brown spots on it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
there was a pretty lengthy discussion not too long ago about natural ways to get rid of moles. anyone remember what that thread was called? someone lived by a golf course and all the moles came into their yard?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,898
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image