Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#222187 Jul 17th, 2008 at 04:20 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I'm willing to bet the majority of us have digital cable or satellite and depending on your service won't have a problem come February '09. However,,,,,
Even tho I do have digital satellite in two rooms (living rm and bedrm,,) I don't have any source of external connection to the TV in my computer room,, and right now I get at least 15 channels very clear with just an antenna plugged in the back. I may get 2 or three without it,, and that is only because the TV stations are near me locally and even that isn't a guarantee why so it will be necessary for me to purchase a converter box.
I watched a special program the other day and apparently those consumers with only a P.O box address does not qualify to receive a converter box coupon,, and many people are upset about that,, you have to have a physical address to receive a coupon, the gov't solution to that is to have a relative or friend with a physical address that only needs one coupon- or doesn't need one at all to go on line or call( 1-888-dtv-2009) to get the coupon and/or on line check the option to receive two coupons so they can give you one . thumbup

here is the Gov't link for the coupon with FAQ's and other info .. thumbup

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I don't understand this whole thing haha (what's new). I'm not very smart with electronics....we have cable but not the digital kind. So does that mean we need a converter box in February?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I don't know Tamara,, Maybe the site I posted could answer that in FAQ's, I don't know it applies internationally, why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
They advertise it here, just never was smart enough to check about it. it's great though that they allow a rebate of some sort. I definately need to check it out.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Yep I would check it out then,, The site says the coupon expires 90 days after being issued,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
my question is what are these people going to do who can not afford a new TV and the old one will not convert?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I guess maybe the box can be plugged in thru a VCR or DVD player maybe externally to the TV????? Thru the plug ins on that and then the VCR or DVD player just kept on?

All 4 of our TV's have the little plug in jacks on them....And I have Comcast TV and they say that you don't have to worry about the conversion if you have them.......I haven't thought too much about it actually. egad

#222232 Jul 17th, 2008 at 07:14 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I read somewhere the coupons will only be issued to those who live within 5 miles of a store that sells the converter boxes. I can't imagine I'm understanding that right? It seems if you live W/I 5 miles of a best buy,circuit city, whatever, you'd also live close enough to a large city and would be able to pick up the digital signal with just a tv antena?
Our tv is digital. we use an anteana and we can't pick up any of the digital stations. also don't live close to a retailer that sells the boxes.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
1k Posts
1k Posts
My mom got the converter box coupons already and she bought the boxes at circut city.

Waiting for fall...
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I have caaable--but I had not heard about eh 5 mile thing--th would be rediculous---not efveryone lives within 5 mijles of a store--in fact it is likley that VERY FEW do.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
We got our coupons and boxes already hooked up, we have tv's not hooked up to the direct tv too.. they are just little boxes about the size of a small dvd player... they convert the digital signal into one the (old) analog only tv's can understand.. lots of stores sell them - walmart- target,radio shacks... they do expire though ... never heard the no po box rule- but we sent for ours a while back...
Nana

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hmmm, so does that mean new t.v.s won't need a converter box?

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Tamara . they still sell analog tv's . make sure they will receive digital signals...
Nana

[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
the way I understand it most new tv's are digital, but they also have to contain a digital tuner. all tv stations are already broadcasting in digital. on our tv we can go to the menu and change from analog to digital then scan for stations. we get nothing, but then again our analog signal is not very strong. supposedly if you can get a very strong anaolg signal with an antena, and your tv is digital and it has a digital tuner inside you should be able to pick up the digital stations no problem. ????
I think the whole thing is gonna be a nightmare.

Cricket

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Rundown of the problem: The Govt wanted to sell the airwaves to companies; that's the dollar drilldown... They want money, blah blah blah...

What's good for you: Digital broadcasts, so places farther our will be able to get better signals (as they're transmitted at a much larger frequency.

How it's fixed: these little boxes convert the digital signal to something your older set can understand.

Where are the boxes: everywhere, there are several brands that several shops have; they're about 40-60$.

Lowdown: You'll need one of these boxes if you have a TV which just "pulls" a signal from the sky. If you have Satelite or Cable you don't need a box UNLESS you have a TV which just pulls in a signal on its own.

You'll connect the box from your antenna and then to your existing euipment (vcr -> TV or just directly to the TV).

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
In a nut shell what James said ! thumbup

You can go to the site I posted and all your questions you asked are there,, I read it will work on all tv's even if you have the old ones with out the "jacks" you can still purchase adapters with the screw in types and the jack on the other end then connect the converter,, never heard or saw on the site about the 5 mile rule,, ,, that would be ridiculous touched seeing how the Gov't has created yet another way to get $$ out of us why would they cut off their nose in spite of their face rolz

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
So with Comcast Cable we won't even need any boxes then? Only if you use antenna's to get programs?

#222322 Jul 17th, 2008 at 07:12 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
you need to get hold of your cable company to and ask them, if they are running digital thru your cable,, more than likely they are,, but better to find out now,,.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
No, this affects "Over the Air" broadcasts only; if you have cable or satelite this change will NOT affect you at all... As you pull your signal from the wall and thus your provider...

Again, this would only affect you if you use over the air broadcasting...

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
So, if you have a digital tv with a dig. tuner...and use an antena now for analog, but can't get any digital signal. wouldn't it be better to get a better antenea that would pick up the digital signal, than to get a converter. they're would be nothing to convert?

Cricket

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Well, "older" sets can't READ a digital broadcast signal; whereas newer sets can read a digital broadcast with a good antenna... The point here really is that the analog signals will no longer be broadcasted over the airwaves, so older sets which can't interpret digital broadcasts will not be able to watch television without one of these boxes (unless they are pluged into a cable or satelite provider which pulls the signal elsewhere)

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
They call my 2nd tv old, it is 2 year old LCD ........ha ha
Had to buy 2 zenith converter boxes.. cost me $40.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #222477 Jul 18th, 2008 at 07:14 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Any set that doesn't support HDTV is classified as "old"; it's really quite sad lol...

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
lol lol
Then why are you laughing.. lol

Just joking.

I assume you have the big screen, being your a man???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #222487 Jul 18th, 2008 at 07:26 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
maybe radio will improve......will we go back to the olden days of listening to radio soap operas???? ha ha ha.

Cricket

dodge #222488 Jul 18th, 2008 at 07:27 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
I HAD a 34" CRT television; but when my brother came and started staying with us he gave me his 48" LCDTV as a peace offering (loads of problems).

My MOM actually has a 64" LCOS television...

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I know the type......
One of the inlaws have that ......
Mr rich who is thoroughly in debt....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #222532 Jul 19th, 2008 at 02:32 AM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
He's more "brother jackass who gets into drugs and holds a knife to your throat in a disagreement then robs you blind"...

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
devil

That is sad.....
Husband has a nephew on drugs all his life.
Know where he is now ? ON life support till the kids can get to see him.

Whooped on drugs , wrecked the car, and now on his own deaths row.....around 42.

Poor you am mama james.....
Stay nice ....... rose

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #222883 Jul 20th, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
yesterday we were able to pick up three digital stations using our tv antena! I was very excited, since so far we haven't been able to pick up anything. I'm wondering if they are playing around and tweeking the signals, or if the weather was just right? we're still getting them today too along with a couple of others.

Cricket

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
tee hee

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #222954 Jul 20th, 2008 at 04:24 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Well, some stations have ran HDTV signals for a while; but no one has to until Feb; keep in mind it costs more money to transmit afterall ;)... You'll find though that some stations will send out multiple signals...

For example, KGW (our channel 8) sends out 3 broadcasts, they show as 8 (analog), 8-1 (digital1), 8-2 (digital 2); heck, our PBS sends out 4...

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Do you mean after february it costs more to transmit?
Do we wait till Feb. to install our boxes?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #223039 Jul 20th, 2008 at 11:40 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
It costs more for them to transmit; but we end up with HDTV transmissions.

And you can install the boxes now and your sets will be able to take in those HDTV signals that are currently being sent.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I received my coupons yesterday clap ,, it comes in the form of a credit card,, says I have to use by 10-08,, has anyone else received theirs??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts

Yes .... thumbup

I had to get it at Circuit city here......Walmart said they were out?? If they ever had them.

Mine is zenith I had to get 2 One in the kitchen one in parlor..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
My....Dodge! you have a parlor?...fancy.

assuming some people, me included, won't get a box for every tv in the house. what ARE people going to be doing with all the old tv's?

Cricket

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
I've recieved several sets; when i fially have the time to go, they're expired and i have to order another lol...

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
what ARE people going to be doing with all the old tv's?
good will/salvation army

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
We got the box so we dont give old tv away..PS......One is 2 years old only..LCD moniter.

Good will or salvation army refuse them here.........
No resale.

Parlor???????????
What do you call the relaxing room?????????Living room.

My old fashioned way of talk????????? It is where we watch tv.........Company usually lands in the kitchen and doesnt move......Isnt often..
Farmers are outside mostly ........

Me

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
Parlor???????????
What do you call the relaxing room?????????Living room.

My old fashioned way of talk????????? It is where we watch tv.........Company usually lands in the kitchen and doesnt move......Isnt often..
Farmers are outside mostly ........

Me

we watch tv and relax in the living room. relax and listen to the radio on the porch. we spend a lot of time outside too.
maybe 'parlor' is a coloqial (sp?) word? I've only heard the term in old movies or in books. just yanking your chain really when I said 'how fancy'. I knew what you meant! neenee

I guess some old 'non digital' tv's could be used for just games and dvd's? I have a feeling a lot will end up in land fills. tears

Cricket

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
It is cheaper to buy the box, than tv.........

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #227735 Aug 11th, 2008 at 07:20 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I thought as long as a person had cable TV brought into their houses that their TV's, no matter how old, would go on working just fine. am I wrong???

________

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
if they're not pulling in a broadcast signal yeh they'll work fine... the issue here is TRANSMITTERS and over the air broadcasting, NOT cableTV/Satelite.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
On the news this morning they said they will be doing testing,,
Twice a week from now until The end of January @ 7:25am, 6:25 pm and 10:25 PM for five minutes the signal test will be given to check our Tv's,, IF you need a converter box,, you will just see squiggly colors and a message you need a converter box or upgrade your satt'/cable.
Yep I got My coupons,, a long time ago but let them expire egad , so I need to re submit for two more coupons,,,,

Do you have testings in your area???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Yes they are doing testings here in Pa.
Got my 2 boxes long ago still didnt install.

Daaaaaa

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossoom

Yep I got My coupons,, a long time ago but let them expire egad , so I need to re submit for two more coupons,,,,

Good Morning everyone-----

Diane---I think I have heard on the "commercials" they have been putting out for this, that they will not be re-submitting the coupons, and so one should not let them expire---I hope, for your sake, that I am mistaken about that.

________

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
I've gotten like 6 sets of cupons lol, just add a different name or add "#1" to your application and you'll slip through the cracks...

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I never got coupons. But you don't really need them do you? I know I have Comcast and they said not to worry if you have them.

#247512 Dec 4th, 2008 at 07:40 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
No Loz----cable customers do not have to do anything. Apparently the cable provider will do all the work.

________

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Whew....so those of you worrying don't have cable? You have satellites or something?

#247516 Dec 4th, 2008 at 07:47 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
or the antennea. My friend who lives just out of town cannot have cable--and I guess dish is too expensive----I am thinking there are a great numbwer of people in this predicament.
AND when one is cutting corners to make ends meet, cable is not really a necessasy item---- why

________

#247518 Dec 4th, 2008 at 07:49 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I have satt On 2 tv's but nothing ON another tv.. Coupons are still being issued,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
My husband would die without cable. I swear he would. He would miss his Westerns on AMC. And the hunting channel, and all of the races.

I thought about getting a dish for a while but it ends up costing a good bit more a month than cable. Once you take into account that I have 4 tv's and so I'd need 3 additional boxes to rent at $4.99 a month each.

#247588 Dec 5th, 2008 at 10:35 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
If you have satellite you don't need the boxes. Only on TV's that you are using an antenna. thumbup

#247628 Dec 5th, 2008 at 04:41 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Why does 2 people need 4 tvs?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by dodge
Why does 2 people need 4 tvs?

so they have options on where and what they watch why

#247650 Dec 5th, 2008 at 05:21 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
wEIRD.......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
No Loz----cable customers do not have to do anything. Apparently the cable provider will do all the work.

I have to disagree with that, Carol - at least here - we were told that if we do not get boxes we will not have any tv at all here. We already lost at least 1/2 of our channels a few months ago when Cablevision went digital early.

Today I signed up for Verizon Fios - we will have phone, internet, and tv through them, but we will need to get boxes for all the tvs - the first 3 will be installed free but there are monthly charges for the boxes - any tvs after that will have a 19.99 installation fee and then a monthly fee for the box on top of that. They get you coming and going for EVERYTHING! But we are tired of the poor internet service from Cablevision, so we're going to give Verizon a try.

I suggest you double check with your provider to see if you do need to get boxes or not - just to be safe.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
What will that cost you a month , if I arent being nosy?
we dont get fio line here , I dont think.. We have the phone tho.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
OK, I just asked elsewhere. What is fios? From googling, it seems to have something to do with TV. But that didn't tell me what it was.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #247722 Dec 5th, 2008 at 08:29 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Lynne--it must depend on the area or the provider, huh??/ Our "Communications" company has a monopoly here-----unless you have dish, the only other option for any type of phone, cable or internet service is them-----well you can have other internet, but you have to pay for the connecting to a long distance phone number when you are using the internet---One of my DH's friends had a $300.00 additional phone bill in 1 months time

but i digress---

anyway---

My Communications company advertises on their channel on the TV that if you have cable thru them you do not have to do anything. and in addition, on the several commercials here that the St. Louis stations are televising they say if you have cable you will see no difference in your TV reception--
although I have heard that your screen may have a black piece at the top & bottom of the picture.(like some Movies do) So we shall see what happens in february, huh????

Our 2 TV's are so old that we are waitng to see what does happen--& if we do have problems then we are going to do something about it.

I am so sorry you are having proiblems--I hopwe this new company help solve them for you.

________

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
fios

Ist it Fiber optic service or something ..That is the Line for the phones etc cable.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Thank you Barb. I was too lazy to do a bigger search. And that makes sense. I know we have fiber optic phone lines right now. We don't have cable out here. I love my satellite TV and it is less expensive with more options than cable down in town anyway. No antennas here because the mountains interfere with reception.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #247835 Dec 6th, 2008 at 08:04 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
We have the direct tv dish here.
No problems at all, except price.

DOnt Know if our lines are fios yet..........DOnt wanna pay $100 a month for stuff we dont use.. Our verizon phones are a rip off to start with .

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
FIOS is fiberoptic lines; comcast and qwest are both fiberoptic but go by different terms (and deliver differently).

You only need the converter boxes IF you use over the antenna broadcasting; satelite and cable people don't need to, unless you use antenna's to get your tv signal.

Myself, I have satelite, but in my bedroom and guest room I use antennas

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
OK - I do not get it - both Cablevision and Verizon (fiberoptics) here told me quite clearly that if we do NOT get boxes for each of our tvs it will render them useless - nothing but snow on the channels. Are they both lying to me???

We have an appointment for this Thursday morning for FIOS to be installed, but if they are feeding me a line I am going to cancel. We have been told that we need the boxes to get even the local channels - not just the movie or other ones - so what is the truth???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Do you have an antenna, Lynne? Do you have a satellite dish on your house or property with a 'box' inside the house for that? Do you have a cable that comes into your home with a 'box'? If you have either of the last two, you don't need the HD box. If you use an antenna either on your roof or on your TV's you do need the box.
Mine are all hooked up to a satellite dish on my roof. But that goes to one box so all TV's in the house get only the channel that that box is set to.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #248148 Dec 7th, 2008 at 10:04 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
No antenna, no dish.

But Don just told me what I already knew but forgot, with this awful cold I have now. We would still get "some" channels through the cable, but a few months ago they scrambled most of the GOOD channels when they went digital early, so even though we are still paying for them, we can't see them unless we get a box on each tv. And THAT infuriates me, and I told them so when I called them a few weeks ago - the fact that we have to pay TWICE for something we should be getting for what we are already paying for now!!!

We are switching to fiberoptics because, both Don, and now Brian who is in the computer field, agree that fiberoptics is the way everything is going to go sooner or later, so we might as well jump on it now.

We don't have any HD tvs yet, but will be ready if we ever fall into some $ to purchase one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it sounds like the boxes you are getting are descramblers not converters. there is a difference. they are both boxes though, and they may not be describing it right to you.

#248153 Dec 7th, 2008 at 10:24 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I get that, Jiffy - but why do WE need to get those boxes, and again... pay twice for the service we are already paying for, when other cable companies are telling their customers that they won't need to do anything? How can they get away with that?

That is also why we are switching to FIOS.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That does stink that they went digital early and knocked out half your paid for services, Lynne. I hope your new fiber optic works for you well in the future.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #248159 Dec 7th, 2008 at 11:07 AM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
If you are paying for a service that connects you to cable or satelite and you do not need an external antenna; you don't need the boxes.

If you're using an antenna (and have actualy noticed channels dropping off and are now recieving snow) you use an antenna and will need boxes.

Basically, if you're plugged into a wall outlet from your TV, and you pay someone for your "entertainment" through this wall socket, chances are you're not using an antenna :P...

They're not "scrambled" they're simply "moved" to a different spectrum of transmission; you're really getting converter boxes, not descramblers; newer TVs actually have these built in now adays (well, a lot of them).

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Moguai
If you are paying for a service that connects you to cable or satelite and you do not need an external antenna; you don't need the boxes.

See... this is what is confusing me - we do NOT have any antennas, and ARE connected to cable, but they are saying that we MUST use boxes to get BACK the channels we lost when they went digital a few months ago.

If you're using an antenna (and have actualy noticed channels dropping off and are now recieving snow) you use an antenna and will need boxes.

AGAIN... NO antennas here, and we ARE getting snow on several channels that we are still paying for! I have had this heated discussion with the cable company and they admitted that I WILL now have to pay for boxes to get back the channels that I am already paying for in my line-up!

Basically, if you're plugged into a wall outlet from your TV, and you pay someone for your "entertainment" through this wall socket, chances are you're not using an antenna :P...

No antenna here... missing channels here that we will HAVE to get a box to get back! Not the everyday channels that one isn't paying for already - as in the local channels, but a bunch of other channels that were included in our package before they went digital.

They're not "scrambled" they're simply "moved" to a different spectrum of transmission; you're really getting converter boxes, not descramblers; newer TVs actually have these built in now adays (well, a lot of them).

That is the whole issue - for some reason, this company - Cablevision, who had a monopoly here, until about a year ago when Verizon came in with their FIOS, is now charging for boxes for customers to get back the channels that we used to have in the package we've always paid for.

To put it into my husband's words right now... "THE CABLE COMPANY IS BEING GREEDY!!!"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
:cough: satelite is better :cough:

I'm not sure what to tell you lol; the fact that you HAVE cable you DONT qualify for the converter box reimbursement program (without lying anyway)...

Your cable company should be providing you these channels in your package since you're not using an antenna to pull them from the air; in fact making you buy an antenna and a converter box to have what they should already be supplying you is quite ludicrous...

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
comcast is also moving channels off the analog grouping and moving them over to the digital group - so that, if you really do want them, you'll pay the higher fee for 'digital service'

which is ridiculous since they've been sending EVERYTHING out as digital for at least a year now anyway. they're just greedy.

there was a report on the local news about these cable companies scamming customers by saying they HAD to upgrade to the digital boxes (and service). from what they said, it's a nationwide issue with a few of the companies. rcn was one and i can't think of the other one.

comcast is doing the same thing in a sneakier way...they're 'changing' the line up by removing things from the basic package. so, they're not mandating that you go to the digital package...they're just forcing you to in a back-handed way.

it's criminal.

Zone 6b
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I hate to hear that Joclyn--I am locked into the package here for about 12 more months--I hope they do not pull any fast ones on us here, but if other places are, they may well try----yikes----

________

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
I've never really been a comcast fan... I miss the predicessors...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gremelin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,894
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image