Rate Thread
#215175 Jun 10th, 2008 at 09:44 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Just wondering if there are any Stephen King readers out there? And if so....what have you read lately?

I just started 'The girl who loved Tom Gordon'. can't get interested in it?
before that one, I read 'Salems Lot'. LOVED it!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #215187 Jun 11th, 2008 at 03:39 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I love Stephen King's work. Waiting on DD to finish the book "Cell" so I can have my turn.

Haven't read any lately though, books are so expensive and we don't have a library here. Hoping to find some at a yard sale this summer though. DD buys mostly Nora Roberts or VC Andrews, she must of got the S-King book as a gift.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #215196 Jun 11th, 2008 at 04:55 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
I read several of King's books, and then it seemed they weren't as good. I really wanted to read a series called (I think) The Dark Tower? But I couldn't seem to stay interested enough to get through the first book. Another King reader told me she felt the same way but if I just skipped over the rest of the first book that I would really enjoy the rest. So I might try them again sometime.

I read so many books, all the time, that it would be hard to mention any at all.
I read a lot of different genre and authors. I am a speed reader.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Sunflowers #215197 Jun 11th, 2008 at 04:56 AM
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
I read several of King's books, and then it seemed they weren't as good. I really wanted to read a series called (I think) The Dark Tower? But I couldn't seem to stay interested enough to get through the first book. Another King reader told me she felt the same way but if I just skipped over the rest of the first book that I would really enjoy the rest. So I might try them again sometime.

I read so many books, all the time, that it would be hard to mention any at all.

(Sorry about this double post!!! I only hit Submit once, honestly!!!)

Last edited by Shirley4; Jun 11th, 2008 at 04:58 AM. Reason: What happened???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Shirley4 #215205 Jun 11th, 2008 at 05:44 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I've read all of his earlier works. I read It, in one day years and years ago. lol Stayed up all night.

There are classics of his such as Carrie, The Shining, Salems Lot, The Stand, Firestarter, Cujo, Dark Tower series, Christine, Pet Cemetery, Misery, and the Green Mile. Oh and Thinner, and The Running Man are good too---under his pen name Richard Bachman.

I think the last book of his that I read and liked was Dolores Claiborne. After that it seemed to me that his works sort of went downhill. At least to me.

I tried, The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, and Hearts in Atlantis.....neither of them were any good to me or and didn't make any sense. It seemed his writing style was so different and I've never picked up one of his books again. Those 2 disappointed me so much I gave up on him.

Shirley4 #215209 Jun 11th, 2008 at 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by Shirley4
<clipped>

Shirley, you sound like my Grandmother. She didn't 'read' books, she 'consumed' them. She was a huge Mignon G. Eberhart, Victoria Holt, and Louis Lamour fan. She would re-read her books so many times (they were all paperbacks) that she would have to put rubber bands around them to keep all the pages together. haha

Kalar

"Make Known the Unknown."
Kalar #215210 Jun 11th, 2008 at 06:04 AM
Several years ago I heard that Stephen King wanted out of a contract he was under with one of his publishes due to some kind of dislike of some stipulations in it. He couldn't get out of it and was highly upset because of that. Since he was 'obligated' to write a certain number of books under that contract, he wrote them but deliberately made them not as 'consumer-friendly' as a way to get back at his publisher.

Kalar

Sunflowers #215212 Jun 11th, 2008 at 06:06 AM
Originally Posted by tamara
I love Stephen King's work. Waiting on DD to finish the book "Cell" so I can have my turn.

Haven't read any lately though, books are so expensive and we don't have a library here. Hoping to find some at a yard sale this summer though. DD buys mostly Nora Roberts or VC Andrews, she must of got the S-King book as a gift.

Didn't they make a movie out of the 'Cell'? If it's the same, I thought it was waaayyy coool!!! bop

Kalar

Kalar #215214 Jun 11th, 2008 at 06:30 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Kalar
Several years ago I heard that Stephen King wanted out of a contract he was under with one of his publishes due to some kind of dislike of some stipulations in it. He couldn't get out of it and was highly upset because of that. Since he was 'obligated' to write a certain number of books under that contract, he wrote them but deliberately made them not as 'consumer-friendly' as a way to get back at his publisher.

That would explain a lot.

You'd all die if you saw my books. I have at least 100 piled up next to my bed...seriously. Then I have a small bedroom with 3 bookshelves and hundreds of books. I HAVE to read at night or I can't sleep. And I read with lightening speed.....my genres of choice are vampires and time travel. grin

#215215 Jun 11th, 2008 at 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by loz

You'd all die if you saw my books. I have at least 100 piled up next to my bed...seriously. Then I have a small bedroom with 3 bookshelves and hundreds of books. I HAVE to read at night or I can't sleep. And I read with lightening speed.....my genres of choice are vampires and time travel. grin

shock

I think you need to re-name that bedroom and call it your 'library.' grin

Kalar

#215216 Jun 11th, 2008 at 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by loz
<clipped>
There are classics of his such as Carrie, The Shining, Salems Lot, The Stand, Firestarter, Cujo, Dark Tower series, Christine, Pet Cemetery, Misery, and the Green Mile. Oh and Thinner, and The Running Man are good too---under his pen name Richard Bachman. <clipped>

I LOVE "The Green Mile." Didn't read the book but saw the movie with Tom Hanks. I'm glad I've been reminded of this because I've intended to get the book. The books are always better than the movies.

Kalar

Kalar #215218 Jun 11th, 2008 at 07:17 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
It's actually not just one book, although they might have condensed by now into one.....when I bought them years ago it was a bunch of really thin paperbacks.

Oh....I call the small room bedroom, the library room. lol I actually just got rid of a few hundred books a few weeks ago, took them to the Goodwill. Needed to free up some shelf space. grin

#215219 Jun 11th, 2008 at 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by loz
<clipped>
Oh....I call the small room bedroom, the library room. lol I actually just got rid of a few hundred books a few weeks ago, took them to the Goodwill. Needed to free up some shelf space. grin

shock lol "'some' shelf space"

Kalar

Kalar #215230 Jun 11th, 2008 at 09:28 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi,
I have all of Stephen Kings books in hardback - read them all and liked most- some more than others... The Tower series is good- and my favorite is The Stand- read that one at least 5 times...
My Mom is a reader too she speed reads- can hardly keep her in books,do a lot of trading them in at the used book store...and plan to start going to yard sales soon.
Nana

[Linked Image]
#215243 Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:03 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
I tried, The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon, and Hearts in Atlantis.....neither of them were any good to me or and didn't make any sense.

well I started the tom gordon book a week ago. read one or two chapters and have no desire to pick it up again. guess, i will put that up and donate to the library next time were there. I have another King, called Dark Half. maybe it will be better.
Dolores Claibourn was very good. I read that one in 2-3 days (an all time record for me!)

Cricket

Kalar #215244 Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:03 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Kalar
Originally Posted by loz
<clipped>

shock lol "'some' shelf space"

Must be making room for Christmas shopping haha

Sunflowers #215246 Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:07 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Yeah that's it Tam! :wink: Need all the room I can get for that, you'd die if you were to see "the present closet" already. lol

Hey BTW, have you all read Dean Koontz? I mean if you like King you'll like him probably. I read most of his stuff years ago too. Some is pretty out there though.

Another good author for medical thrillers is Robin Cook. I used to read a lot of him.

And of course the good old standby of V.C. Andrews. I've read all of her books...however she passed away some time ago and the family hired someone that writes similar to her to continue in her name. The newer books just aren't as good as her actual books.

#215249 Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:13 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
DD loves V.C. Andrews, she has lots of those. I haven't read much in the past while. DD bought me a book while I was in the hospital 'Grave Concerns' by Gwen Hunter~haven't read a page yet.

I never remember names..

Sunflowers #215251 Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:18 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
My fav. authors are Laurell K Hamilton, JR Ward, and Sophie Kinsella. grin

2 write about vampires(but full of love and you know what notme ), and Sophie writes about chic lit--like Bridget Jones' Diary. All 3 are great!

Karen Marie Moning is good too....especially her Bloodfever,and Darkfever books! grin

#215254 Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:37 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I like Koontz too. Some of his books I like more than King, but some I can't get interested in. with King, pretty much all of his books are good.
Watchers is by far my favorite Koontz book. Oh, and the Bad Place was very good also.

Cricket

cricket #215255 Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:58 AM
I accidentally discovered a short series of books by Stephen Woodworth that were really good in my opinion. I read the first one and promptly procured the next 2. bop

They are the 'Violet' series. First one is "Through Violet Eyes". The second one is "With Red Hands" and the last one that I have is "In Golden Blood."

I'm glad this 'book thread' was going because now I want to check and see if he has another one in this series. I really enjoyed them.

Oops. I have 4 of them. I forgot. The last one I know about is "From Black Rooms."

Last edited by Kalar; Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add sentence

Kalar

Kalar #215746 Jun 13th, 2008 at 11:15 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I'm trying to remember the title of that book where they alien was stopped from destroying the earth by getting him to eat raw bacon. 'Mr. Gray wants bacon!'.....'Ister Ay awnts acon!' don't you just love it when an author can get you to believe in things that just sound silly if you try to explain the plot to someone who hasn't read it?

Cricket

cricket #215776 Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by cricket
I'm trying to remember the title of that book where they alien was stopped from destroying the earth by getting him to eat raw bacon. 'Mr. Gray wants bacon!'.....'Ister Ay awnts acon!' don't you just love it when an author can get you to believe in things that just sound silly if you try to explain the plot to someone who hasn't read it?

Cricket, I don't know what the title of that book is but it sounds fun. It reminded me of the Terry Pratchett books my daughter and I use to read aloud to each other sometimes when she was a teenager. Hilarious!! The characters had great personalities all their own and their 'speech' had varying traits to them that the author somehow managed to create in the way they 'said' things kinda like the book you're talking about with the "Ister Ay awnts acon." haha His character 'Death' always spoke in all capitol letters, for example.

Kalar

Kalar #219658 Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:36 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I love Stephen King books. The dark tower series is a bit weird and hard to get in to at first but I thought that series was some of his best work, I really loved those books. I also enjoyed salem's lot, the stand, the shining, geralds game was super creepy, and it. I've read so many of his books it would take me too long to list all the ones that I've read. I recently aquired 7 Stephen king books that I haven't read yet for $7 off someone on craigs list.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
chermoni #219728 Jul 2nd, 2008 at 09:21 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I've only read one of the dark tower series. susannahs song. I found it to be an interesting story but exhausting to read(for me). i'll have to look for geralds game since you said it was super creepy. I like the super creepy!

Cricket

cricket #227062 Aug 9th, 2008 at 02:03 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
One of you posted earlier (sorry I forget who) that you'd heard of a contract dispute co-inciding with a change in King's writing style.

I'm also wondering if that noticed style change was around of the time of his very bad accident which left him so so terribly injured? I haven't read anything new he's written since that awful accident, but I have speculated about it's impact on his writing.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #227078 Aug 9th, 2008 at 04:37 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
when was that accident, merme?
I claim to be such a big fan of his but I don't know anything about his accident?
the last book I read of his I was a bit dissapointed in. 'the dark half'. i felt I knew how it would end from the beginning to middle way through the book. but, with king...he always surprises me. he didn't surprise me in this book. I felt like this was one of the books some were mentioned earlier. same ole same ole, nothing new, write just to get a check book.

Cricket

cricket #227262 Aug 10th, 2008 at 01:06 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the accident was 10 or 12 years ago. he was out doing his usual evening walk and was hit by a minivan. he almost died.

i noticed a difference in his writing afterwards also...actually, he had difficulties getting back in to it and had a TON of things stored away...so more than a few of the more recent books that were published are those older stories - written long ago and not with his usual flare. contracts DO need to be fulfilled, so, he made a very bad situation work. there was something with a difference in opinion with the publisher - he is with someone else now. i don't think he'd purposely write badly - even as a 'get back at'. see my comment further on about how he deals with peoples' junk...

one of the keys to reading sk is to learn when to skip over the verbose and/or repetitive stuff. he easily goes overboard with the details! it's easier to do (and easier to pick up on) with the ones that have the characters from other books in them...any of the stories based in derry have a ton of repetative info (well, it's only repetative if you've read the other books, lol).

he also is one to build up the story slowly - gives you lots of background info and them, blam! he goes for the jugular and hooks you and finishing the story goes really quickly. understanding the importance (to him) of building the backstory properly/completely goes a long way in making it easier to waddle through the slow spots...although it may not seem like it at the time, every tidbit IS important to the story. many times i've gone back and re-read spots to clarify something later on in the book. did that most of all with the dark tower series. it's all so interconnected. not knowing that at the beginning, i didn't pay as much detail to some of what i call 'sk fluff' as i should have...

if you read 'steven king on writing' you'll learn a lot about him and what makes him tick...it's a great read just as is (partly autobiographical) and it's a must-read if you've ever contemplated writing for a living.

i'm reading lissy's story at the moment...has been slow going (and more so because i've been busy and haven't put as much time as usual in to it). i'm just starting to hit the spot where he clinches ya - so the rest should go quickly.

it was EXCELLENT and is what got me really in to him...i've read a few before that, though. that one really kicked it off. i'm collecting all of them in hardcover. (i've a little more than half now). and hopefully i'll meet him someday and have him sign a few of my all-time favs.

i made one of my bedrooms a library...i have almost every book i've ever had...even those from when i was a kid.

needless to say, i LOVE to read!

oh, gerald's game is a MUST READ if you like to be scared!!! i love anything with horror, blood, guts, gore. sk doesn't usually phase me too much...he catches me, just doesn't actually SCARE me (not much does actually).

until gerald's game. waohboy!! that one got me and got me good!! it's one of the few that i read start-to-finish in one sitting and i don't recommend reading that one through into the middle of the night!! put it aside and finish it in the day light! (wish i'd done that!).

dark half was really good, and you can't beat the stand, the short story collections are ALL excellent. he also wrote as 'richard bachman' and they are VERY good...a bit more on the 'dark' side though...when the psuedonym came to light is when he wrote the dark half - kind of took the steam out of those who wanted to blow the story.

dean koontz is good, robin cook also. vc andrews WAS excellent!! the ghost writer follows formula and is flat/unimaginative. i stopped reading them years ago.

the left behind series is quite good as well - can't remember the names of the two authors. they're worth reading and definitely do them in order!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #227920 Aug 12th, 2008 at 10:53 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I also really love The Stand, both in book form and the video miniseries.

Cricket ~ after King was fairly well healed up following that dreadful accident, he actually PURCHASED the van that hit him. Then, he got himself a sledge hammer and went right to it, beating that van to pieces! We all said "You go, Stephen, you go!"

He also donated a huge sum to Central Maine Medical Center, the hospital that saved his life.

But then, he & Tabitha have always been very generous... starting a Little League and entirely revamping the public library in Bangor, every year giving all the Kindergardeners a new book, etc.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #227921 Aug 12th, 2008 at 10:55 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Joclyn~ If you are only in Philly, you ought to come up here for a visit! Then when you are all done playing on the beach with us, you can go see Stephen King's house! Now isn't THAT a plan?!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #227927 Aug 12th, 2008 at 11:55 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
that sounds familiar - him purchasing the van and beating it.

Is his house spookey????? Does his house look like the one in that book he wrote about the vampires? (can't for the life of me remember the title of that one! it's one of his classics)

I just started a koontz book, Night Chills. seems ok so far.

Cricket

cricket #227937 Aug 12th, 2008 at 12:21 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
He & Tabitha bought a beautiful, beautiful stately Victorian and restored it. The fascinating thing to the fans who visit the location is the wrought iron fencing and gate. The iron work is complete with bats and such things! People love to photograph it.

I LOVE thinking about how terribly, terribly poor they were (living in a trailer without even a telephone) when the manuscript to Carrie sold, and how well they've done since.

Especially considering that he THREW AWAY the manuscript to Carrie thinking it wasn't any good and she pulled it out of the trash and mailed it!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #227939 Aug 12th, 2008 at 12:38 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I bet he'd be a fascinating person to sit down with and talk to! I didn't know that about carrie.
salems lot is the one I was trying to remember before, with the vampires. very good book!

Cricket

cricket #228092 Aug 12th, 2008 at 08:15 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i've only been as far north as boston...visiting maine sounds like a plan, merme!!

i saw an interview with him and he said he bought the van so that it wouldn't be used/exploited by anyone. he didn't mention anything about taking a bat to it. wasn't the van's fault anyway...'twas the drivers!!

i've seen some pics of his house...they restored it and put in that cool fence!!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #228991 Aug 17th, 2008 at 11:36 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Jocyln ~

I am only two hours north of Boston although King's home is a few hours further. You could do the trip in stages.... drive to Boston, drive to here, then drive to Bangor!

Oh, wouldn't that be fun?!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,916
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image