Print Thread
Rate Thread
#229446 Aug 20th, 2008 at 06:07 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Ok this is the situation. I have 100 feet of garden hose and 100 feet of soaker hose and I'm out of cash. My flower bed is approximately 30 feet across and 45 feet down and the slope is steep. Right now I have the soaker hoses snaking up the bed and the last half of it isn't getting any water. I have plenty of pressure and the hoses aren't kinked so I'm thinking that I didn't lay it out right. How would you do it. I can't afford to put in a drip irrigation system right now. I may not be able to afford one for quite some time.

[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
pray for rain???? nooo
I've been down that road and have packed water buckets to keep plants from dying. See if a neighbor has a hose you can borrow long enough to get everything watered. thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Your soaker hoses might have clogged with dirt and might have sealed shut. Turn on the water and poke it with a needle or such to see...

lol never mind...my mind is reading what it wants, cr@ppy pain pills.

If you are running hoses up then it takes extreme pressure to reach the end of it...a hose loses pressure through holes as it goes...so it's not reaching the end.

You might be better to zig zag the hose in and out instead of running it up...

Last edited by tamara; Aug 20th, 2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Foogy thoughts running in my head

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thanks Tamara. I think that is what I'll do.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
you were both right. There was a rubber plug in the last section of hose. Why a manufacturer would put a plug in a hose is beyond me but there it was. Now it's out and the water is flowing.

I also used my regular hose to run the water up to the top of the bed and then ran the soaker hose zig zag across it. Now everything thing is getting watered in the bed. Which is great. Now I just need two more soaker hoses for the foundation bed and the sidewalk bed and another regular hose for the nozzle when I do the veggie bed this year. Then next year I'll need soaker and regular hoses to do the veggie bed. Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image