Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#233434 Sep 13th, 2008 at 06:57 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
mannnnnnnn I hate that Njoynit is right in the path of yet another hurricane, shock ,, Hurricane Rita was enough for her to last a life time boohoo , I don't know how far south east Cricket is but those two have been in my thoughts the last couple of days,,,,,,, Are there any other members in SE TX>>> boohoo My concern for them brings prayers of safety prayers

The weather here in Dallas continues to say we will have high winds up to or possible exceeding 70 mph and rains,, rain we need,,,,, Winds we can do with out,,,,, I have brought all container plants in one place and secured a lounge lawn chair layed side ways and secured around them,,,,, I brought pitchers plants in and all hanging plants as the wind has picked up pretty good right now approx 25-30mph...... it wasn't supposed to start until this afternoon,,, I've charged portable dvd players and radio's hey Lynne,,, I found two flash lights and have new batteries in them, I couldn't find them last night, egad

We won't get it near as bad as southeast Tx But it better to secure and be safe then tho caution to the wind, ,,
I hope Njoynit checks in with us We haven't seen her here in a while, ,,
Cricket are you alright where you are?? kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
thanks for telling us how you have prepared, Diane----while I was wondering about Njoynit and Cricket--I was wondering about you as well.

May God keep you all safe--and all in the paths of theses storms. prayers

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Diane - I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo glad you found flashlights and have new batteries for them, and radios too! I hope you, Cricket, and Njoynit, and everyone else down there stay as safe as you can, and that this storm passes quickly with minimal damage or none.

I'm so glad you got your plants taken care of!
Now take good care of you and yours too!

Be very safe my friend!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Over 2 million people in southeast Texas have no power. Anyone with Direct TV service can go to chan. 361 nation wide that is their disaster channel. My nephew had a tree blow down on his house in sealy area . This is going up the east side of Texas we are on the west side hopefully we wont get that bad of a hit. Cricket and Njoynit could well have no power right now.

[Linked Image]
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops!

Jimmy's Blog
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Yep I heard that on the news a while ago Jimmy ,, it is staying to the east of us as far as the worse of the weather goes, it Thank goodness,!.. I love Gentle rain like we're getting right now,,,,,,, it's almost like being in a tropical rain forest ,,,, and it's kinda cool out too, I was just outside for a bit,, Love it,,
I bet your' right in that Njoynit doesn't have elec right now,,, Don't know about Cricket I'm not clear where she is,, I just know south of me a few hours drive,
Motel room is non existence in the surrounding area,, , I went to the store a while ago and Days Inn parking lot is packed ! They are having to come closer into the the DFW metro plex for motels,,,, I bet they will fill up soon too.
At Krogers they were giving Lunchmeats and Bread, potato chips, bottled water and bags of apple and oranges to families that were in Church buses and vans,,,,, very Nice of Krogers to do that! I heard one of the Galveston families say Sonic, Arby's and Burgerking ( all 3 right there across the parking lot of Days Inn) is giving hamburger combo meals and breakfast combo meals free and unlimited to all families that have Drivers L with Houston, Galveston and surrounding areas southeast TX for the next 48 hours ,,

It was awesome to hear that the community Businesses in my area support those that had to evacuate , Big Kudos to them!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
I went to the store right as rain started all the motels and hotels around me are also full. My mother called all scared told her we wont be getting any of the bad just rain she said she was told we were getting the worst of it. wish people would make sure of what they are telling before the tell older people anything. Love this soft rain just hope that is all we get. Hope everyone else is doing well in the path of this thing it is 600 miles across according to Houston TV.

[Linked Image]

Jimmy's Blog
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
My heart breaks for everyone that is in the path of Ike. It's such a terrible, terrible thing that the gulf states have to go thru year after year after year.

I was very surprised to see how many didn't evacuate. A guy on the weather channel said he should never have stayed behind. He was about in tears and when asked why he stayed he said it was so he could surf the next day.

I know one thing, I'd be the first outta there---big chicken that I am. Wouldn't take any chances.

I hope that all of our members in Texas stay very safe. Njoynit, cricket, Diane, and Jimmy---and anyone else that lives in the path of the storm.

Been watching the coverage all day here.

On a side note it's so HUMID here. Like a sauna. I was putting up Halloween stuff and when I came back inside I was drenched thru. UGH.

Hope you both continue just to get a nice rain and nothing else, and no flooding. kissie

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Glad to hear that Diane and Jimmy are safe! Hope we hear something from Cricket and Njoynit. Cricket had said not to be surprised if we don't hear from her for a week or so because it can take them that long to get power back if they lose it. Saying lots of prayers for everyone!

James has family in Shreveport, LA and they are saying they are getting hit their pretty bad!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Jessica--I am sending Prayers out for your famiy, that they may be safe thru this storm!! kissie

________

Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Jessica hope James family came through the storm OK La.,Ark and OK got hit a lot harder then we did. Hope everyone in its path stays safe. Seems like it is supposed to go all the way to the great Lake area as a Tropical depression.

[Linked Image]

Jimmy's Blog
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
here, we have been getting rain from it for several hours now. why

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Prayers being sent to all affected.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by plantqueen

James has family in Shreveport, LA and they are saying they are getting hit their pretty bad!

Jessica have you heard from them are they okay?? prayers

it is beautiful today,, cool blue skies a slight breeze it feels like a nice cool spring day as opposed to what September usually feel like hot and muggy this time of year,.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Diane - I think we have your weather today - near 90 degrees and so very humid!
Don and I are playing the AC war - he keeps making it so frigid in here, and I keep turning it up. That's ok though - he is going to go to a JETS game in an hour, and I will be able to have it set where I like. Poor guy will be sitting outside in this swill for hours though.

I'm glad you Texans faired well through the storm, and am hoping that all others in its path are safe and sound as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Wow!!! We started getting really big winds here this afternoon!!! It just knocked out my TV cable and of course my internet!!! Scared me for a second losing GH!!!! It all came right back on, but the trees are really whipping around!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
We're good here so far. Bailey's kennel blew way up off of the ground so I've got her put up in the garage now. And our neighbor's shed blew to pieces. There is stuff flying everywhere right now. We have underground electric so we should be ok there. Mommy's internet is out but she is ok. I'll check back in with everyone later. Everybody be safe.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
kissie thanks for the update rachel. give your mom our love, and you have it too.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
WOW This weather is affecting everyone Be safe Rachel!!!!! kissie Keep us updated!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
We're up to hurricane force winds here now. There is a lot of damage and over a half a million people without power. We're still holding on.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup thanks for keeping us posted kissie prayers prayers for your safety

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Wow Rachel. You stay safe and hunker down. Keep us updated if you can. Prayers for yours and everyone else in that area. kissie

Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I believe we'll be fine. Thanks for the prayers. The big thing is to stay inside to avoid getting hit by flying debris. I just saw on the news a tree had fallen on a 13 year old boy. Stuff is flying around everywhere.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by rachelp
We're up to hurricane force winds here now. There is a lot of damage and over a half a million people without power. We're still holding on.

OMGosh Rachel! shock It is unreal how Ike has affected sooooo many so far from the coast! I hope Shirley is okay since she isn't far from you! nervous

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I just talked to Shirley and Glenda(jayhawk) neither one of them have electricity Glenda's has been out for almost 5 hours and Shirley's has been out a couple of hours, No telling when it will come back on for either of them, I didn't talk long because they will need their battery for their phone to stay charged as neither has a car charger, ,, Prayers the winds will calm and electricity comes back asap. boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
kissie thanks for the update. pass along prayers from us when you talk to them again prayers

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Hope they are both safe as well. thumbup I'm sure that Shirley is going nuts without any power there by herself. Weather tonight for us says 40mph winds--although that's not too bad....but we could get a few trees down.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I just talked to Shirley again,, yessss she is bored to tears with still no elec, she has candles and a flashlight and is hungry boohoo She was going to walk down to Mc Donalds to get a hamburger but realized they didn't have elec either, boohoo poor Shirley
Glenda still doesn't have elec either the people behind them had two trees that fell over,, shock boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
poor shirley kissie

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
it's still the wind from Ike causing all this?

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
yep it is Sheri

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
here we just had several hours of really misty misty rain, like i have never seen before, then wind, then gone. we were very lucky it turned. the ground is so saturated now, i don't know if it could take much more and all the lakes are topped up. the river just south of the house has water from bank to bank in it already, and thats rare. we are used to "normal wind", so when it blows its no big deal, usually. my heart goes out to all those who are living without power, prayers for those who have lost their loved ones, homes and belongings.

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I have not heard how James' relatives are doing yet. Hopefully we will hear something soon!

We had rain most of the day Saturday and Sunday with a bit of wind but nothing too bad!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Jessica, I hope for all of you that you hear soon. When you do please keep us posted as well.--

Glad you did not have it too bad---even as far inland as we are we had a LOT of rain over the weekend, becausde of this system, as well (like from 3 to 9 inches) and lots of wind but nothing we got worried about.

________

Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I had intended on going to Cinci and getting Shirley today. But, there is no way I can get to her. It is terrible out right now. There is so much damage everywhere and no electric. People are literally in a panic. They have even shut down some of the bridges across the Ohio River going into Cinci right now because they are afraid they aren't structurally sound. The metro police were on the news telling people unless it's an emergency to stay off the roads. I hate that she is there in that shape. Duke Energy has 1100 crews out working right now so hopefully they will get power back on where she is soon.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Saying lots of prayers for Shirley!!!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes prayers for shirley. non-perishable, no cook food and a charged phone are always a good idea at a time like this, so I hope she IS able to get them today.
Bless whoever is helping her. :wink:

________

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I just talked to Glenda,, She was saying crews from Louisville elect Co had already went south to help there,,,, but have called them back which will take a day and then possibly 5 days to restore elec power to her area, Glenda says at least it is cooler weather now so heat isn't a factor.. One good thing is she has a gas grill so at least she can heat soups up and have hot dogs and hamburgers maybe,,, She said she won't have a choice but to grill soon so she won't have to throw out a lot of meat,, Glenda has been driving around quite a bit yesterday and today,,,, she said it isn't bad there as far as line downs and streets blocked,, on the interstate she said traffic is normal,, and businesses are open at least most of them are,, but all the stores are out of ice already, boohoo

I feel bad for Shirley too,, I have been watching on the internet the news reports with Cincinnati fox news,
I hope she does get essentials at least something to eat,,,and charge her phone like Cindy said, boohoo there are shelters open but Cindy is Right ,, SHirley would never go to one of those,, uhuhh I heard on the news just now 100 thousand have elec restored but another 600 thousand without,, boohoo

according to fox news in cinncinnati ,,,,,,,, traffic seems to be flowing really well,, between Kentucky and Ohio north and south bound no accidents or delays,,, fallen lines are primarily in yards and fields,, bridges are good . average speed is 59 mph ,, this link is updated every 5 minutes,,

http://www.artimis.org/segaccess1.html
this is a link

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I can't get the link to work.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I just clicked on it and it works Sheri,, Try it again??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
doesn't work for me. Says this site can not be found.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image