Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I was cruising the web and came across an interesting article regarding tomatoes and mold spots. I thought I saved it but now can't find it and have searched the web and still no luck.
The author, a PHd in something...states that tomatoes that have any visible signs of mold should never be used for anything, even when the moldy part is cut off. He said that the mold spores are throughout the tomato, you just can't see them. If the tomatoes are canned, it is a possibility that the mold will not be completely killed/rendered inactive in a hotwater bath. Pressure canned tomatoes were safe, albeit the mold spores can effect the taste over time. He also said that if you use your knife to remove the mold, if it is not washed in anti-bacterial soap and rinsed well, you will be spreading the mold spores to everything else you cut. For home gardeners, he recommended varieties that are not prone to splitting because these are the ones that usually develop mold in the cracks.

Carol over at the harvest forum added this:
I did find this summary from Colorado Extension. Also saw the same information on other sites but haven't yet run across the sort of scientific article you mention.
It looks as if mold in soft foods/foods with high water content (jams, cucumbers, peaches, tomatoes etc.) is the issue because mold travels so quickly in soft flesh.

So you could cut a moldy spot out of a potato and use the rest but not a cucumber or tomato.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this. I learned something.
found this link [url=http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4191/is_20020515/ai_n10002474][/url]

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
interesting for sure. I don't use tomatoes that have splits in them. It never seemed sanitary to me.

Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Ahhh Phooey!
I was raised on a farm, and have grown and eaten produce for over 40 years,
And I have cut out many a crack or bad spot and have never had a single problem.
The thing today is there are so many that claim Everything is bad for you.
And then the following week its not. LOL
I just try to be sensible~ clap

Last edited by Ditchy; Sep 30th, 2008 at 02:41 AM.

[Linked Image]
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Good call Ditchy. My parents always told me I'd have to eat a peck of dirt before I'd die. Still working on it!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
I agree with Ditchy. Would be a waste of good tomatoes in my opinion. Of course living here we don't have much if any mold. One advantage to a dry climate. JD

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I'm no scientist, but I would cut away bad spots and eat the tomatoes. Some varieties crack regadless of water, temps, or anything. I would not can tomatoes that have obvious mold, but a crack or bad spot here or there is normal. Just eat a garden tomato with cracks you've cut away, then taste a "perfect" tomato from the grocery store...are such studies maybe scare tactics to influence us to buy commercial produce? My best flavored tomatoes always have flaws...maybe not mold, but cracks and such.

HEY ELK! So as the season nears it's end, what was this years favorite for flavor?
(Here's a guy who knows his maters, folks, pay attention.) Seriously, Jay has grown more 'maters than anyone I know. And the mold hasn't killed him yet.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,896
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image