Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#239344 Oct 19th, 2008 at 12:05 PM
rpmljm Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi
I have a small lilac bush in a large pot on my patio. It is healthy and about 18" tall. I was wondering if it will be OK if I leave it outside close to the house all winter. I live in southeast PA (Philadalphia). The pot is much too large to move inside my small house. If I leave it outside, should I protect it in some way?
Thanks!
Laurie

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
You are lucky. lilacs love and need the cold to bloom. Don't even think of bringing in that pot. It doesn't really even need the protection of your house.
And welcome. You have stumbled on to a great site for you questions and some new friends.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
rpmljm Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks so much for your response. I was just concerned that since it is not in the ground, that the young roots would get too frozen in the pot. I know the ground provides better insulation than a plastic pot which gets colder quicker. I'm not sure I'm making myself clear....The pot is about 2 feet tall and about 15-18" across
Thanks again!!
Laurie

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
If you are very concerned, you can insulate the pot. You can bury it. Or pile up straw or pine needles or something similar around it. You could actually wrap it in insulation or a blanket. If I were doing any of the above ground things, I would add a layer of plastic around it. Even wrap it in a black plastic trash bag.
I am not sure where you are located or what your zone is. But many people protect their rose bushes and things like this in heavy winter situations.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by rpmljm
Hi
I have a small lilac bush in a large pot on my patio. It is healthy and about 18" tall. I was wondering if it will be OK if I leave it outside close to the house all winter. I live in southeast PA (Philadalphia). The pot is much too large to move inside my small house. If I leave it outside, should I protect it in some way?
Thanks!
Laurie

Laurie:
I did that very thing.---when it was smaller, about the size of yours I had my husband put it between the side of the deck and the air conditioner unit.
((on the east side was the house, on the north side was the deck, on the west side was the air conditioning unit.))
It was protected from freezing but got sun and rain water that way.

---last winter,I kept it in the garage by a window. I watered it about one time a month. I plan on doing it the same way this winter.

Jonni is right in that lilacs love the cold. I think the issue is, in a pot, the lilac could freeze.---I would protect it some how because of that.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image