Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
It's that time of year again-bulb planting season.Have you bought and planted yours yet?I'm going to buy some bulbs soon.

Last edited by emdeGardener2; Oct 23rd, 2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: misspelling

Waiting for fall...
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Yes, I did--I did!

I planted a bunch of daffodils, some tulips, crocuses, and some irises. grin clap thumbup

I already had a bunch of all of them but each spring I wish I'd planted even more so this fall I made sure I did!

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
ummm. Well, I pulled up the turnips I had growing between the sidewalk and the street and planted two bags of daffodils that I bought last year. (Okay-- I planted the ones that weren't completely decomposed after spending a year or so on the floor in a plastic bag in the basement.) Does that count?

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
500 Posts
500 Posts
I don't quite know what to do with bulbs. When I've tried storing them, it hasn't worked out. If they are the kind that just stays in the ground and divide a bit, that's okay with me. My neighbour gave me one which I think is called the Scarborough lily. It had red flowers last spring/ summer, and I'm expecting some more this year. I just left those in the ground. Tulips, I'd love to grow those, but not sure whether you can leave them in the ground and expect them to come back next year.

Eternity
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Your climate is different.
I leave mine in all year around.
Or one can did them after they die down,

Dont know it they would last out there.. But I see no harm in trying a few ..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
500 Posts
500 Posts
Do you grow tulips dodge? I reckon if you can leave them in the ground there, it should work here too.

Eternity
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Yes I grow tulips .
Planted 24 new ones today......As well as them tall brush like things.
2 blue lilys.

I have another bed I left in all summer, last falls bulbs. I just covered them more.
I love spring bulbs........
Then let them in an see the results.........

Heck I plant lotza stuff .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Not sure how cold it gets for you in Australia, but for tulips they have to have a cold period. Many put them in the fridge and then plant them out if they live in a warmer climate. And then they have to dig them back up....a lot of work each year.

Last edited by loz; Oct 23rd, 2008 at 04:12 PM.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
ummm. Well, I pulled up the turnips I had growing between the sidewalk and the street and planted two bags of daffodils that I bought last year. (Okay-- I planted the ones that weren't completely decomposed after spending a year or so on the floor in a plastic bag in the basement.) Does that count?

You'll be surprised how pretty they'll be. I've planted bulbs that looked like onions that were old and peeling but they come up anyway.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
is australia like north carolina?

Maybe he can take a clue from you ?????

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
I think Melbourne may be similar to NC, but haven't checked those latitudinal thingys. I will try planting some tulips and leaving them in. I'll get back to you on this one in a couple of years!! bop

Eternity
500 Posts
500 Posts
I checked the latitude, and Melbourne corresponds to San Francisco, Washington DC, Seville, Athens, Tokyo in the Northern hemisphere, and Buenos Aires in the southern (as well as probably many other cities)! We get about 6-10 frosts a year where we live. Don't know if that's cold enough for tulips, but worth trying. Putting the bulbs in the fridge requires more motivation than I've got!! grin

Eternity
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
interesting. It seems that San Francisco and Washington DC have very different weather to me but maybe it's the time of year I've been there.

I plant tulips and I don't put them in the frig. Try it and see what happens.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by stevie_g
I checked the latitude, and Melbourne corresponds to San Francisco, Washington DC, Seville, Athens, Tokyo in the Northern hemisphere, and Buenos Aires in the southern (as well as probably many other cities)! We get about 6-10 frosts a year where we live. Don't know if that's cold enough for tulips, but worth trying. Putting the bulbs in the fridge requires more motivation than I've got!! grin

Please do..

We can do our own research.

LOL

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I've been out trying to plant some, usually by this time of the year I have moved tons of bulbs, this year i just haven't felt like moving anything, I have managed to get about 1000 bulbs in the ground. It's starting to get hard to remember where I have them all

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
I have started. I jsut put a load in the front beds. this weekend I am gettin more, but I will be planting them at the weekend place, we just got destroied by Ike ( now 7 weeks ago) when that came thru...so my weekend place has to be completely redone,,,,sigh...I tried to naturalize the place,,, but the husband got nuts with weed killer and yakked about 300 bulbs right up....oh well, now i can start my hummingbird flowers,lol.

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
we got a lot of rain off the hurrican behine IKE, hopefully my bulbs that were in the ground are okay, the water only stood on them for a little while

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
I am glad you didn't get totally flooded out. So many people did that didn't get told of on the news. My weekend place got nailed, so did the little towns around there. We got hit with 19.8' over flood stage... We were spared just because we built on stilts, alot did, some not high enough for that, some didn't go up at all. It may be ugly now but come spring it will be ok....we are headed out to try and get more sand off the whole lawn area. It is futile but at least the ground will be flat for making a new lawn from scratch.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Good girls I did about 30 yesterday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I think I'm going to move my irises in the front beds. We landscaped everything really nice last year and when the bulbs came up it kinda threw everything off and made it look messy. I need to get on the ball. I've got a lot of stuff I need to get done before my surgery. I'm really dreading the weeks of rest after that.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
1,000!!!!! I'd say that's pretty good Belinda. You don't need to know where they are now. They'll show up sooner or later.

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I'm going to plant some bulbs in my front yard but first I must erect a fence so my neighbor's dogs can't dig them up.

Waiting for fall...
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
are you really going to put up a fence?

Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
I have a box of about 30 Deer resistant assorted bulbs I need to get in.. Maybe wed, next week it will be dry. Suposed to rain and lake effect snow Mon and tues. AGGGGGH! No winter.. not ready! yikes

[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Were supposed to get the snow too.......It wont lay.

Has happened before..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
interesting. It seems that San Francisco and Washington DC have very different weather to me but maybe it's the time of year I've been there.

I plant tulips and I don't put them in the frig. Try it and see what happens.

Probably the weather difference is due to east coast vs west coast (says he who knows absolutely nothing about weather- I always find myself tuning out when the weather report comes on!). Do your tulips come back in larger numbers the following year?

Eternity
500 Posts
500 Posts
Originally Posted by winddancer
I am glad you didn't get totally flooded out. So many people did that didn't get told of on the news. My weekend place got nailed, so did the little towns around there. We got hit with 19.8' over flood stage... We were spared just because we built on stilts, alot did, some not high enough for that, some didn't go up at all. It may be ugly now but come spring it will be ok....we are headed out to try and get more sand off the whole lawn area. It is futile but at least the ground will be flat for making a new lawn from scratch.

Sorry to hear about your flood problems, winddancer. Hope you get it sorted out soon. I saw the lawns in the photos of your weekday place that you posted, and they look great! I appreciate a good lawn, seeing ours is 90% weeds!

Eternity
500 Posts
500 Posts
Originally Posted by rachelp
I think I'm going to move my irises in the front beds. We landscaped everything really nice last year and when the bulbs came up it kinda threw everything off and made it look messy. I need to get on the ball. I've got a lot of stuff I need to get done before my surgery. I'm really dreading the weeks of rest after that.

Good luck for the surgery!

Eternity
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Oh My gosh I do the same thing, every winter, I never listen to the weather. And I hate when people say its going to snow! haha rspb

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I have plenty of time to plant bulbs- 30-25 degree frosts don't happen here until December.

Waiting for fall...
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I am happy for you ......
I have a pal out there next to the Ronald reagan Library. She sent me a postcard with Ronnie on it ..

She tells me lotza stories..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
It's a 5 to 7 hour drive down there from my house.I have relatives who live near the library.

Waiting for fall...
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I know calif is long .. I watched his funeral procession out to the Library.
I was amazed of the long distance it was from town.

She was trying to sell and move to arkansas......No one would buy..No $$$$$4

Are you in rural area?

I know all your fruit is so sweet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I live a half-mile from the city limits of town.A minute's drive from my house is the countryside-dairies and almond orchards.Thirty seconds' drive and one ends upo in town.M neighborhood is surrounded by new subdivisions.

Waiting for fall...
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Sound good......Hope your not in the fires .

I am closer to town then you are . 10 minutes.
I am on a small farm , centered amongs 4 or 5 small towns.

Farms are quickly disappearing ..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
most farms are huge-thousand acres or more-sounds more like massive plantations.

Waiting for fall...
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I am sure of that.. We were out west 9 times and know how huge it is that far.
ANd know california has loads of land to offer........

What do they do mostly with the milk , make cheese an ice cream?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Yup.The milk at the local supermarket is from local dairies.

Waiting for fall...
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
We are paying $3.59 a gallon here .. What is yours?

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
somewhere around three something.Milk is sometimes on sale for 2 for $5

Waiting for fall...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,904
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image