Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#20907 Apr 12th, 2007 at 06:37 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I have a few evergreen type shrubs, the small ones. Now that it's getting warmer I can see one side is a bit brown. Do I trim this brown off?

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal - Do you know the variety of the shrubs? If not, do an image search on google with some common types such as arborvitae, boxwood, juniper and yew for possible ID. Arbs and boxwood are famous for browning.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you can, i usually do if the brown is noticable. if it is just barely the tips, i leave it.

#21307 Apr 13th, 2007 at 09:10 AM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Here are some pictures I just took of the shrub, it's a juniper herbalyn.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is the same shrub just taken from the other side.

[Linked Image]

Rosepetal--
Does the tag for this plant state it's a juniper? Your plant looks like a dwarf alberta spruce to me. Glad you could post photos.

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Hey you're good herbalyn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! zoink

Right you are. Thanks for correcting my error. grin

[Linked Image]

1k Posts
1k Posts
you do have a dwarf alberta spruce.

they are extremely succeptible to spider mites. that may be the cause of brown.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

Rosepetal --
How old is the DAS? It appears to be in a container that is sunk in the ground, correct? Is the brown part on the side of the prevailing wind or facing south?

Red Spider mites are a possibility, hold a sheet of white paper under a browned stem and give it a light tap. If you have mites you should see them on the paper. Do this when the sun is out and has warmed the spruce. If RSM are the problem keep the spruce watered, spray the browned area several times a day with a jet of water from a hose over a few days. If this doesn't help try a garlic spray. I cannot recommend a chemical since I don't use them and don't know what is legal in Canada.

There are two other possibilities: My first thought was root damage since the brown is at the tip of the tree. Do you know if it started hight and worked its way down? If so its a good possibility the roots are not getting the water and food to the top of the tree. A girdling root could be choking off roots that feed that part of the tree.

The least likely is to much prevailing cold wind blowing on that side all winter or if the brown part faces south it can be sun scald.

Don't do any pruning of those browned spots yet. Try the spider mite test first and go on to the other ideas. Other posters may have suggestions if its a spider mite infestation.

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Herbalyn, My DAS is one year old and yes it is in the prevailing wind and the brown facing south. But the container is bottomless, just a 5 gallon pail cut in half with the bottom cut out. The intension was to have a rim to keep the stones in line.

I'll test as you say with a piece of paper, thanks for the info'.

[Linked Image]

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
No spider mits that I could see, but it has been cold here, hardly warm enough for them, or can they be out at this time too.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image