Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#14430 Apr 4th, 2007 at 01:21 PM
OP Offline
Didn't know where to post this. Couldn't find a critter thread other than this one.

I just caught a squirrel rummaging around in my ivy plant container. He climbed down the trelis against the fence.

I have herbs, lettuce, tomato and flower plants in containers on my deck.

What do squirrels like to eat and are my plants in possible danger of a squirrel raid?

OOPS Sorry guess I bypassed the pest thread...sorry guess you'll be moving this there. Thanks.

Last edited by JustAGirl; Apr 4th, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
JustAGirl #14460 Apr 4th, 2007 at 02:41 PM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
I've never had a squirrel eat any of my plants or veggies...they tend to go for seeds and nuts. They do like to dig, however, and can uproot newly planted plants.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #14579 Apr 4th, 2007 at 05:53 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Put out a flat platform with some dried cord and/or peanuts. The squirrels LOVE these.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #14776 Apr 5th, 2007 at 05:22 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I've heard a sprinkling of baby powder or cayenne pepper powder on top of the soil will keep them from digging in your containers.

My squirrels love sunflower seed, corn,& peanuts.
If you feed them away from the containers it may help keep them off.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #15037 Apr 5th, 2007 at 09:40 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I like the squirrels as much as I like the birds, and am delighted to have them come to my feeders. They DO demolish one or two feeders a year but I get my feeders for 75 cents to 3 dollars apiece and build a lot more for free so its no problem. and, if your patient enough, this happens:

HEWWO!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thornius #15040 Apr 5th, 2007 at 09:43 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
shock OH MY! He knocked you to the ground to grab your peanut!!!

#15185 Apr 5th, 2007 at 12:55 PM
OP Offline
*L* Thanks for the tip Thornius! Yeah I was thinking of getting a feeder to deter them away from my plants. We have ALOT of squirrels around here.

I was worried about my plants because I've heard if a squirrel is hungry enough he'll eat just about anything.

I've feed a squirrel peanuts while camping once. It came right up under my chair and would take them right from my hand. Squirrels are cute but I don't want one running up me! *L*

Speaking of critters getting into the garden...now that I've planted things my bunny has to have supervised playtime outside. I usually leave him to run about during the day in the back, but I caught him digging up my moss rose I had in a pot (that just sprouted no less) and then sitting in it *L* I tried to get a picture of him sitting in the pot but by the time I got the camera he jumped out. *L*

Here he is that cutie!
[Linked Image]

JustAGirl #15193 Apr 5th, 2007 at 01:13 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
OMG, Justa! We have twins (almost). Here is my pet lop-ear, Two Bean Bags. We have had him for two years.

TWO BEAN BAGS
[Linked Image]

Wrennie, it sorta hurts when they grab your peanut.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #15246 Apr 5th, 2007 at 02:59 PM
OP Offline
Thornius your lop is beautiful!!!

My lop is named Jack-Jack (after the baby in the Incredibles), but I usually call him Jackie or Jackie Legs (like in the movie Kangaroo Jack)

Jackie Legs is an Easter bunny..was born in April..and we've had him for 2 years now.

He was looking so adorable today I wanted to put him in an Easter basket and take a pic. HA HA He's not mellow enough for me to get him into a basket though..may have to put some dirt in it for him to get in by himself..hehe.

JustAGirl #15253 Apr 5th, 2007 at 03:16 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with the squirrels eating your plants. With it being spring, there should be lots of stuff coming out for them to eat...and lots of people putting things out for birds for the squirrels to have their share. Although, they do like to dig up bulbs....chipmunks do that too. I'd try the pepper...we've done that in the past. You have to reapply it every time it rains tho.

Maybe putting your pots on stands will help your bunnies to stay out of them??

[Linked Image]
JustAGirl #15338 Apr 5th, 2007 at 06:12 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I have ALWAYS loved rabbits. I even raised them at one point. I have a special fondness for lop-ears. Two Beans is very tolerant and amicable to handling. I let him loose in the house but he tends to go back in his cage when I do, so I pretty much let him do as he wants. He loves to chase balls and balloons and likes to be gently tossed through the air onto the soft bed. He has a fondness for candy, especially chocolate and gummi candy.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #15776 Apr 6th, 2007 at 10:41 AM
OP Offline
I wish Jack-Jack was more tolerant and amicable to handling. When we got him he was 4 months old and the people who had him had little dogs that barked alot and scared him. They also didn't pick him up at all because he'd be so scared by the dogs barking he'd bite.

When we first got him he bit me a few times. He didn't like to be held. He got more use to it but still isn't comfortable with it. If you lean down to put him down he'll jump out of your arms before you can get him to the ground. Nails clipped or not I always get scratched up.

He's a sweet bunny though..just needs alot of love. I've tried to get him to play and I have to admit..he's not one for toys. Guess I'll keep trying though. One time though I thought he was having a good time playing with an empty toilet paper roll.

You give your bunny candy???? Wow! Well Two Beans sounds completely spoiled! lol I've never tried giving Jack-Jack anything like that. Too afraid I'll screw up his system...he'll end up with the runs or something. Not pretty when that happens.

I guess my squirrel thread here has turned into a bunny thread. grin

JustAGirl #24026 Apr 16th, 2007 at 01:19 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
JustAGirl, try stuffing a toilet paper roll with timothy hay-they like to play with those.
My rabbit, Saltflower, eats a diet of timothy hay, timothy pellets, Romaine, whole Brussels sprouts, carrots, some apple, etc. And bottled water-I've read that rabs are sensitive to the chlorine in tap water.
I never feed him anything without checking with The House Rabbit Society first. I'm a nervous mom !

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,881
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image