Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1k Posts
1k Posts
As kids grow and go through school, the 'cool' brands will change. Cool brands also change with schools. I went to a highschool for 2 years, and almost every person wore baggy clothing (t-shirts looked like pj gowns that reached the knees, and the jeans looked like they wer about to fall off) 'Gangster' clothing was all te hit; brands like: Dickie, GUnit, Ecko, Enyce. Now at this highschool, it's more American casual brands: Abercrombie, Hollister, Aerospotale, American Eagle. I can't justify spendin $20 for a pair of underwear stamped with 'Hollister' all around. When thy start to work, they'll realize how hard it is to earn money. I know one year, after New Years, and I counted all the money I got, I gave it to my mom and she told me she was 'going to put it in the bank'. A month later, I found my bank book inside her drawer, and not only had no money been put in, but money was taken out, and I have a dollar or so left inside. My dad was out of a job, and I guess in extrodinary circumstances, it doesn't matter where the money comes from as long as you have it

Same thing here.I never do what all the other kids do. I don't buy the "cool" brands because my parents don't have the money and I think they are a rip off.My clothes are from WalMart and I like my cloths in plain colors such as green, yellow, black, and white. I don't wear red or blue because wearing those colors can get someone beat up. My mom made me take out all but thirty cents from my savings account because she needed the money.She hasn't paid me back yet.

Waiting for fall...
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It is cool to hear about peer pressure and styles from you guys. Sometimes it helps us to think about it all from another point of view. You guys seem to have your heads screwed on right.
And I am glad that you were able to help out your families during tough times. I have borrowed from (and paid back) my older children during a couple of rough patches with their knowledge. It is something to hold your head up about.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #247025 Dec 1st, 2008 at 07:28 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
I understand peer pressure. I grew up without anything. Not because we were poor but because my dad didn't care anything about us and my mom was depressed and sat in the closet a lot of the time. I knew Alexis wanted that North Face jacket so we figured Tori would want want too. I feel like their mom made them take them back. I hope she gave them the money and didn't keep it for household stuff or for herself.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
I knew Alexis wanted that North Face jacket so we figured Tori would want want too. I feel like their mom made them take them back. I hope she gave them the money and didn't keep it for household stuff or for herself.

Oh man Sheri ,,,,,,, now that is when taking back a gift is wrong....... especially a Child's gift,, I hope She gave them the money,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
what do you do with one?

My step grand daughter, Tori who is 9, is a sweet little girl and I love her, but she is never satisfied. It takes the fun out of her visits. The last time she spent the night she wanted to go skating, which we did. It cost $18.00 to get in an rent skates but after 5 minutes she didn't really like it and wanted to leave. I told her no so she pouted for a while. She said she wanted to go... and she proceeded to name 6 or 7 other places and stores. Then she wanted to eat then something else and on and on until I was tired of hearing it so we left and went to the mall. I told my husband after that I wouldn't do it again without him around because it's no fun.

So yesterday she called and wanted to spend the night. Johnny said he'd be here so she came over. She walked in saying she was starving. I had fixed a turkey breast and some stuff to go with it so we sat down to eat. She wanted loaf bread to go with her turkey, which she ate, then she wanted to know if I didn't have another kind of bread, which I did, so she ate some of that. After we ate she saw that we have stuff to make hot chocolate so she wanted that, then she saw that I had grape juice so she wanted that. It just never stops. Finally Johnny said he was going to the store for diet Coke and Tori went with him. I was actually glad she was gone for a while.

She wanted to play hide and seek, monopoly, on the computer, on Webkinz, on some other site on the computer. She only wants things for a second then wants something else.

This morning for breakfast I was going to cook eggs, but she wanted cereal, which was fine. But then she wanted eggs, which I fixed. She said she didn't want bacon but wanted toast, but when we sat down she said she did want bacon and wanted toast made with the other bread. I finally told her no. That she'd had enough and I wasn't making anything else. So she said that she wanted a drink from Starbucks, so Johnny has taken her to Starbucks.

He called me when she wasn't listening and asked me why I was blunt to her. That I seemed mad and mean. So, now I feel terrible but I don't know how to handle this. No matter what I do she isn't happy. She doesn't cry or anything but as soon as she gets what she has said she wants she's on to the next thing. Maybe I'm old and set in my ways. I need your advice. I don't want her to think I'm mean.

Whoa, Sounds like its her mom who allows her to have whatever she wants on a whim..
I agree with others, This is the choice, Thats it. this or this.
Besides if she keeps eating like that she will be fat. LOL
She has no limits it seems. My mom would have said to me, well its this or nothing! grin

[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Ditchy

I agree with others, This is the choice, Thats it. this or this.
My mom would have said to me, well its this or nothing! grin

Kim ~ My Mom would have said the same thing,,,, or just tell me nothing at all due to complaining or can't make my mind up and then I'd have to wait until lunch time to eat, ,, boohoo it didn't take twice to keep my mouth shut and just eat what was set in front of me like it or not, notme same with shopping with my mom ,,,,,, It was a take it or leave it... period,, no ifs, ands, or buts,,,, zoink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Valarie was just 2 when I was trying to get her to behave properly.She was "digging her heels in and would not comply"--I told her, she just as well do as I asked, because I was more stubborn that she ever thought she could be--lol-she stopped the behavior.

I think kids need limits.---how are they going to learn and properly chose for themselves when they grow up, any other way.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Maybe you guys are right. Maybe she does need limits. I was looking at it from the other side, like she was this way because she never gets anything. But in thinking about it, she has a Wii, Webkinzs (her sister Alexis has ALL of them - but her other grandpa buys them for her). The have a trampoline, each of them has a battery operated skooter, Alexis has a go cart. Until the split Tori was taking dancing lessons almost everyday to the tune of $800.00 a month, and traveling around dancing. Alexis plays travel softball. I know their moms parents buy them a lot of stuff and I also know that they are never home. They are either swimming, skating, ice skating, at a birthday party, or shopping. They shop constantly. Johnny, my husband, says that they "window shop" and don't have the money to buy stuff that's why they know where every store is and what the prices are and what's a good sale price, but they sure have a lot of clothes and junk to not be buying. They get their nails done and have been to places for tea and tea parties that Darbi's never even heard of. So, maybe that's it. She needs limits.

I also know that before Little Johnny became a policeman he worked for a plumbing company and made $60,000.00 a year. Melissa was supposed to be paying all the bills and they ended up loosing their house. My Johnny and I thought maybe Melissa was gambling or drinking up the money but we never found out what happened. Now that they've separated Little Johnny gives Melissa his entire paycheck from the police department which I think is around $40,000.00, and he lives off his extra side work - like directing traffic and security at banks and working with his dad. Melissa is also working part time, so they aren't exactly poor. Not rich, but not poor.

I've always felt like they were poor because they talk about money all the time. I guess they just get that from their mother and will do it no matter how much they have.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
having said she needs limits--I will add in view of the situation---she could be looking for attention, any type of attention. When one is in that situation and is too young to entirely understand, it can happen.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,932
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image