Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#242023 Nov 2nd, 2008 at 01:25 PM
OP Offline
I have had a tangerine tree for 2 1/2 years, seems to me that we are causing serious damage when picking the fruit.
Every spring I have permanantly dead portions on the tree.

We are, (I believe) otherwise caring for it rather well.
We get a bumper-crop every year, including the fruit that is on the tree right now.

Would like to harvest this year without causing permanant damage.

PlantConniosseur #242024 Nov 2nd, 2008 at 01:37 PM
Can you give some more info on your care for the tree? Watering, fertilizer, container/ground, light? What does the damage look like and where is it located on the tree?

aesir22 #242036 Nov 2nd, 2008 at 02:08 PM
OP Offline
I give it Vigaro, (3 times a year) late winter, late spring & mid-fall. Vigaro contains extra Magnesium, Zinc Manganese & Iron for high yields.
I follow the instructions closely & have had good luck with it.

The tree is in the ground so I usually rely on the sprinlkers in the yard to water the tree, however, I do not have an automatic system.
Sometimes I notice it looks a bit droopy,(in the summer) so I let the hose soak the ground for 30 minutes or so & it usually perks up by morning.

The tree is far from the house in the back yard & gets plent of light year round in southern CA.

The damage is spiratic, usually kills a whole branch. If it would help, I can send a picture.

PlantConniosseur #242042 Nov 2nd, 2008 at 02:52 PM
Pic would be good. Close up of leaves and stems that are dying and healthy ones too would be great. Have you checked for pest? dying branches usually means either pests or a root problem. Don't forget citrus like to dry out between waterings, so if it is getting sprinkled daily the roots may be unhappy

aesir22 #247455 Dec 4th, 2008 at 02:48 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
I have had a tangerine tree for 2 1/2 years,

Most grafted citruses bear in their 3rd or 4th year; full production in 7-8 year for standard trees.

Every spring I have permanantly dead portions on the tree.

Die back [portions on the tree are dead]is an indication of problems with tree trunk or root system. Is the tangerine tree planted too deeply or did the tree settled in the planting hole? If so, remove or pull back the soil away from the trunk [below the graft].

The tree is in the ground so I usually rely on the sprinlkers in the yard to water the tree, however, I do not have an automatic system. Sometimes I notice it looks a bit droopy,(in the summer) so I let the hose soak the ground for 30 minutes or so & it usually perks up by morning.

It sounds like the tree is or isn't getting enough water.

Soil that is too wet clogs the soil pores and make it impossible for the oxygen to penetrate the soil down to the roots. Wet soil can harbor fungus and infect the roots [resulting in root rot].

If the soil is dry due to under watering, the water and nutrients can not travel all the way to the top of the tree; stems and branches further from the trunk die.

In warmer months [April to October], try to water the tree once a week; every two weeks in cooler months [November to march]. Before watering, check the top 3-5 inches of the soil to see if it is dry or wet. If dry water at once, if wet, don't water. Remember to allow the soil to dry between watering and when you water, water deeply to about 3 feet below the surface.

I give it Vigaro, (3 times a year) late winter, late spring & mid-fall. Vigaro contains extra Magnesium, Zinc Manganese & Iron for high yields.
I follow the instructions closely & have had good luck with it.

Excess salt from fertilizer and water also contribute to die back. Leach the soil about 2x a year, like one in winter and one in summer.

p.s. I don't follow the above watering schedule because all of my citrus trees are in containers. I water more frequently.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,906
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image