Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#247486 Dec 4th, 2008 at 05:25 PM
bjsmom Offline OP
OP Offline
I have (had) a beautiful pencil plant approx. 3 feet tall/wide. Due to house guests, I put it on top of a spacious corner fireplace mantel and pushed it as far back as possible. I checked all the time to feel and see if it felt too warm, and it never did. Today I walked into the den and the first thing I saw was my beautiful plant shriveling up before my eyes. The back side that was closest to the corner is dried up and I swear it looks as if more of the plant has dried up just in the time since I got home. I have watered it and removed it from the mantel. Any suggestions as to how to save the plant so I don't lose it all? I am sick.

Annie

Last edited by bjsmom; Dec 4th, 2008 at 05:27 PM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am not sure if you have actually killed it although you have not been kind, I guess. Pencil plants love desert conditions here so it may yet recover. Give it some time And see what happens now that it is back in its happy place. If any parts actually blacken, cut them off and discard them.
Welcome to the forum.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #247500 Dec 4th, 2008 at 06:59 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Annie and Welcome to the forum.....
I have grown Pencil cactus(plants) for a long time,,,,.
It could be there wasn't enough air circulation in the corner,, as why they backside isn't happy right now,,,, why I've never had that happen so I'm trying to picture how it may look,,,,,, I don't know what area you live in either, so I can't say to take outside,,,, But I wouldn't water it too much,, ( I don't know how wet is was before you watered it today why )
You didn't say if any of it was very soft ,, l But.,.
Any branch that is almost "Mushy" should be cut off,, be careful the milky liquid can me toxic,, wear gloves while cutting,,. Just in case, :wink:
Make sure there is enough air ciculation and sunny place for it to heal,, thumbup

Originally Posted by jonni13
I am not sure if you have actually killed it although you have not been kind, I guess.

I wouldn't say you've not been Kind,,,,,
In fact you were being kind to it in considering a safe place to put it while company was there, thumbup
One thing to remember,, Air circulation is important to all plants .
Can you take A picture of it so I can see,, then maybe I could assess the problem better>???/

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Angelblossom is right, my statement doesn't look too nice standing alone like that. I had meant to light-heartedly reassure you that you were probably not a pencil plant murderer. They are fairly forgiving plants and you obviously have taken good care of yours to get it to 3X3. I think you will be able to bring it back.
And again, welcome to The Garden Helper.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #247616 Dec 5th, 2008 at 03:21 PM
bjsmom Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the warm welcome and the comments as to my poor pencil plant. I think I will let it recover for a few days before I decide how to best heal
this plant. The top of the thickest stalk is okay, I believe. However, from that point downward, the "arms" or whatever they are called are brown and dried up. The additional two stalks that come from the momma stalk are fine. They were facing the room and not in the corner of the mantle. Should I cut those dried up arms off to the stalk? Thanks for the caveat about the milky stuff.

BTW, putting the plant outside is not a good idea as I live in Indiana and the wind chill today is 2. It's cold.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Oh dang,,,,,,,, Wind Chill at 2,,,,,,,, I guess not then lol

I would go ahead and cut off the brown dead limbs,, So it won't use energy to try to restore what can't be restored. :wink:

Sounds Like it's going to be fine,,,,, as long as the main stocks are good it's Good! thumbup grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,948
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image