Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
Parlor???????????
What do you call the relaxing room?????????Living room.

My old fashioned way of talk????????? It is where we watch tv.........Company usually lands in the kitchen and doesnt move......Isnt often..
Farmers are outside mostly ........

Me

we watch tv and relax in the living room. relax and listen to the radio on the porch. we spend a lot of time outside too.
maybe 'parlor' is a coloqial (sp?) word? I've only heard the term in old movies or in books. just yanking your chain really when I said 'how fancy'. I knew what you meant! neenee

I guess some old 'non digital' tv's could be used for just games and dvd's? I have a feeling a lot will end up in land fills. tears

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
It is cheaper to buy the box, than tv.........

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #227735 Aug 11th, 2008 at 07:20 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I thought as long as a person had cable TV brought into their houses that their TV's, no matter how old, would go on working just fine. am I wrong???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
if they're not pulling in a broadcast signal yeh they'll work fine... the issue here is TRANSMITTERS and over the air broadcasting, NOT cableTV/Satelite.

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
On the news this morning they said they will be doing testing,,
Twice a week from now until The end of January @ 7:25am, 6:25 pm and 10:25 PM for five minutes the signal test will be given to check our Tv's,, IF you need a converter box,, you will just see squiggly colors and a message you need a converter box or upgrade your satt'/cable.
Yep I got My coupons,, a long time ago but let them expire egad , so I need to re submit for two more coupons,,,,

Do you have testings in your area???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Yes they are doing testings here in Pa.
Got my 2 boxes long ago still didnt install.

Daaaaaa

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossoom

Yep I got My coupons,, a long time ago but let them expire egad , so I need to re submit for two more coupons,,,,

Good Morning everyone-----

Diane---I think I have heard on the "commercials" they have been putting out for this, that they will not be re-submitting the coupons, and so one should not let them expire---I hope, for your sake, that I am mistaken about that.

________

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
I've gotten like 6 sets of cupons lol, just add a different name or add "#1" to your application and you'll slip through the cracks...

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I never got coupons. But you don't really need them do you? I know I have Comcast and they said not to worry if you have them.

#247512 Dec 4th, 2008 at 07:40 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
No Loz----cable customers do not have to do anything. Apparently the cable provider will do all the work.

________

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Whew....so those of you worrying don't have cable? You have satellites or something?

#247516 Dec 4th, 2008 at 07:47 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
or the antennea. My friend who lives just out of town cannot have cable--and I guess dish is too expensive----I am thinking there are a great numbwer of people in this predicament.
AND when one is cutting corners to make ends meet, cable is not really a necessasy item---- why

________

#247518 Dec 4th, 2008 at 07:49 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I have satt On 2 tv's but nothing ON another tv.. Coupons are still being issued,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
My husband would die without cable. I swear he would. He would miss his Westerns on AMC. And the hunting channel, and all of the races.

I thought about getting a dish for a while but it ends up costing a good bit more a month than cable. Once you take into account that I have 4 tv's and so I'd need 3 additional boxes to rent at $4.99 a month each.

#247588 Dec 5th, 2008 at 10:35 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
If you have satellite you don't need the boxes. Only on TV's that you are using an antenna. thumbup

#247628 Dec 5th, 2008 at 04:41 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Why does 2 people need 4 tvs?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by dodge
Why does 2 people need 4 tvs?

so they have options on where and what they watch why

#247650 Dec 5th, 2008 at 05:21 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
wEIRD.......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
No Loz----cable customers do not have to do anything. Apparently the cable provider will do all the work.

I have to disagree with that, Carol - at least here - we were told that if we do not get boxes we will not have any tv at all here. We already lost at least 1/2 of our channels a few months ago when Cablevision went digital early.

Today I signed up for Verizon Fios - we will have phone, internet, and tv through them, but we will need to get boxes for all the tvs - the first 3 will be installed free but there are monthly charges for the boxes - any tvs after that will have a 19.99 installation fee and then a monthly fee for the box on top of that. They get you coming and going for EVERYTHING! But we are tired of the poor internet service from Cablevision, so we're going to give Verizon a try.

I suggest you double check with your provider to see if you do need to get boxes or not - just to be safe.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
What will that cost you a month , if I arent being nosy?
we dont get fio line here , I dont think.. We have the phone tho.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
OK, I just asked elsewhere. What is fios? From googling, it seems to have something to do with TV. But that didn't tell me what it was.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #247722 Dec 5th, 2008 at 08:29 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Lynne--it must depend on the area or the provider, huh??/ Our "Communications" company has a monopoly here-----unless you have dish, the only other option for any type of phone, cable or internet service is them-----well you can have other internet, but you have to pay for the connecting to a long distance phone number when you are using the internet---One of my DH's friends had a $300.00 additional phone bill in 1 months time

but i digress---

anyway---

My Communications company advertises on their channel on the TV that if you have cable thru them you do not have to do anything. and in addition, on the several commercials here that the St. Louis stations are televising they say if you have cable you will see no difference in your TV reception--
although I have heard that your screen may have a black piece at the top & bottom of the picture.(like some Movies do) So we shall see what happens in february, huh????

Our 2 TV's are so old that we are waitng to see what does happen--& if we do have problems then we are going to do something about it.

I am so sorry you are having proiblems--I hopwe this new company help solve them for you.

________

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
fios

Ist it Fiber optic service or something ..That is the Line for the phones etc cable.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Thank you Barb. I was too lazy to do a bigger search. And that makes sense. I know we have fiber optic phone lines right now. We don't have cable out here. I love my satellite TV and it is less expensive with more options than cable down in town anyway. No antennas here because the mountains interfere with reception.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #247835 Dec 6th, 2008 at 08:04 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
We have the direct tv dish here.
No problems at all, except price.

DOnt Know if our lines are fios yet..........DOnt wanna pay $100 a month for stuff we dont use.. Our verizon phones are a rip off to start with .

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
FIOS is fiberoptic lines; comcast and qwest are both fiberoptic but go by different terms (and deliver differently).

You only need the converter boxes IF you use over the antenna broadcasting; satelite and cable people don't need to, unless you use antenna's to get your tv signal.

Myself, I have satelite, but in my bedroom and guest room I use antennas

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
OK - I do not get it - both Cablevision and Verizon (fiberoptics) here told me quite clearly that if we do NOT get boxes for each of our tvs it will render them useless - nothing but snow on the channels. Are they both lying to me???

We have an appointment for this Thursday morning for FIOS to be installed, but if they are feeding me a line I am going to cancel. We have been told that we need the boxes to get even the local channels - not just the movie or other ones - so what is the truth???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Do you have an antenna, Lynne? Do you have a satellite dish on your house or property with a 'box' inside the house for that? Do you have a cable that comes into your home with a 'box'? If you have either of the last two, you don't need the HD box. If you use an antenna either on your roof or on your TV's you do need the box.
Mine are all hooked up to a satellite dish on my roof. But that goes to one box so all TV's in the house get only the channel that that box is set to.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #248148 Dec 7th, 2008 at 10:04 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
No antenna, no dish.

But Don just told me what I already knew but forgot, with this awful cold I have now. We would still get "some" channels through the cable, but a few months ago they scrambled most of the GOOD channels when they went digital early, so even though we are still paying for them, we can't see them unless we get a box on each tv. And THAT infuriates me, and I told them so when I called them a few weeks ago - the fact that we have to pay TWICE for something we should be getting for what we are already paying for now!!!

We are switching to fiberoptics because, both Don, and now Brian who is in the computer field, agree that fiberoptics is the way everything is going to go sooner or later, so we might as well jump on it now.

We don't have any HD tvs yet, but will be ready if we ever fall into some $ to purchase one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it sounds like the boxes you are getting are descramblers not converters. there is a difference. they are both boxes though, and they may not be describing it right to you.

#248153 Dec 7th, 2008 at 10:24 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I get that, Jiffy - but why do WE need to get those boxes, and again... pay twice for the service we are already paying for, when other cable companies are telling their customers that they won't need to do anything? How can they get away with that?

That is also why we are switching to FIOS.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That does stink that they went digital early and knocked out half your paid for services, Lynne. I hope your new fiber optic works for you well in the future.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #248159 Dec 7th, 2008 at 11:07 AM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
If you are paying for a service that connects you to cable or satelite and you do not need an external antenna; you don't need the boxes.

If you're using an antenna (and have actualy noticed channels dropping off and are now recieving snow) you use an antenna and will need boxes.

Basically, if you're plugged into a wall outlet from your TV, and you pay someone for your "entertainment" through this wall socket, chances are you're not using an antenna :P...

They're not "scrambled" they're simply "moved" to a different spectrum of transmission; you're really getting converter boxes, not descramblers; newer TVs actually have these built in now adays (well, a lot of them).

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Moguai
If you are paying for a service that connects you to cable or satelite and you do not need an external antenna; you don't need the boxes.

See... this is what is confusing me - we do NOT have any antennas, and ARE connected to cable, but they are saying that we MUST use boxes to get BACK the channels we lost when they went digital a few months ago.

If you're using an antenna (and have actualy noticed channels dropping off and are now recieving snow) you use an antenna and will need boxes.

AGAIN... NO antennas here, and we ARE getting snow on several channels that we are still paying for! I have had this heated discussion with the cable company and they admitted that I WILL now have to pay for boxes to get back the channels that I am already paying for in my line-up!

Basically, if you're plugged into a wall outlet from your TV, and you pay someone for your "entertainment" through this wall socket, chances are you're not using an antenna :P...

No antenna here... missing channels here that we will HAVE to get a box to get back! Not the everyday channels that one isn't paying for already - as in the local channels, but a bunch of other channels that were included in our package before they went digital.

They're not "scrambled" they're simply "moved" to a different spectrum of transmission; you're really getting converter boxes, not descramblers; newer TVs actually have these built in now adays (well, a lot of them).

That is the whole issue - for some reason, this company - Cablevision, who had a monopoly here, until about a year ago when Verizon came in with their FIOS, is now charging for boxes for customers to get back the channels that we used to have in the package we've always paid for.

To put it into my husband's words right now... "THE CABLE COMPANY IS BEING GREEDY!!!"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
:cough: satelite is better :cough:

I'm not sure what to tell you lol; the fact that you HAVE cable you DONT qualify for the converter box reimbursement program (without lying anyway)...

Your cable company should be providing you these channels in your package since you're not using an antenna to pull them from the air; in fact making you buy an antenna and a converter box to have what they should already be supplying you is quite ludicrous...

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
comcast is also moving channels off the analog grouping and moving them over to the digital group - so that, if you really do want them, you'll pay the higher fee for 'digital service'

which is ridiculous since they've been sending EVERYTHING out as digital for at least a year now anyway. they're just greedy.

there was a report on the local news about these cable companies scamming customers by saying they HAD to upgrade to the digital boxes (and service). from what they said, it's a nationwide issue with a few of the companies. rcn was one and i can't think of the other one.

comcast is doing the same thing in a sneakier way...they're 'changing' the line up by removing things from the basic package. so, they're not mandating that you go to the digital package...they're just forcing you to in a back-handed way.

it's criminal.

Zone 6b
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I hate to hear that Joclyn--I am locked into the package here for about 12 more months--I hope they do not pull any fast ones on us here, but if other places are, they may well try----yikes----

________

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
I've never really been a comcast fan... I miss the predicessors...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gremelin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,896
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image