Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
plants 'n pots #279827 May 12th, 2009 at 10:18 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
right now, until all the crystals are completely cleared from his system, he DOES need to be on the special diet and the soft stuff (canned) is the preferred. still, he's a big kitty and obviously the canned stuff isn't enough to sustain him - especially as he's gaining his strength back after surgery.

ask the vet if you can get some of the prescription kibble to supplement the canned stuff.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #279836 May 12th, 2009 at 10:48 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
and like I have said--if he cannot eat dry food wet the food with a little warm water oor i f he does not go for that try a little low sodium broth. (usually the warm water helps)

after it sets a bit it will soften up and can be stirred up a bit if you would like.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #279952 May 12th, 2009 at 07:56 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
yes, softening the kibble with water is one way to ease things in the digestive tract.

you'd still have to get the prescription kibble though...it's extra-processed so that it's easy to digest.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #279954 May 12th, 2009 at 07:58 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Joclyn

ask the vet if you can get some of the prescription kibble to supplement the canned stuff.

Joclyn - they did give us a 4lb. bag of prescription dry food - but that small bag costs $16.59!!! That is more than the very large bag we buy for all 5 of our other cats! My husband had started to give that to him as well yesterday. I spoke with the woman who runs the organization this morning - they offered to buy a case of cans for Butterscotch - 24 cans, and another bag - that was extremely nice and we appreciate it more than they will ever know. They said to give him a total of 1 cup of dry food and 1 can per day. He has been crying today when he didn't have food, and that amount doesn't seem enough for him. I'm hoping that in time he will adjust his appetite.

She also told me what Sylvia had told us - that Butterscotch would have died within 2 days of the date they took him to the vet. His blockage was so very bad that his bladder was about to burst at any moment - poor baby!!! She said it was a miracle that he had gotten into that fight and came back to us - that is what got the ball rolling to save his life! I am so grateful that these women took him into their hearts. I'm also very grateful that I didn't have to find him dead in the cathouse or on the deck a few days later!!!

He let Don pet him a long while this afternoon, and was even kneading and purring - very good signs indeed!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #279959 May 12th, 2009 at 08:07 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
She said it was a miracle that he had gotten into that fight and came back to us - that is what got the ball rolling to save his life! I am so grateful that these women took him into their hearts. I'm also very grateful that I didn't have to find him dead in the cathouse or on the deck a few days later!!!

He let Don pet him a long while this afternoon, and was even kneading and purring - very good signs indeed!

I too am greatfukl that Butterscotch came back to you in time--and for all the wonderful help that you have been given to help him.

and I knew it was just going to taken time for him to "come around" and accept you all---and while he may still have his "days", remember he knew where to go when he needed help and he knows that you are good kind people. In the end it will all be good I am sure.

________

JunieGirl #280078 May 13th, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i'm so glad butterscotch if getting back to himself!! if he's got his appetite back, that means he's healing up and feeling better and that's fantastic!! especially since it turns out he was so close to passing on from the infection!!

the prescription stuff is not cheap, that's for sure!!! that was so, so nice of them to give you a good supply of it!!! that extra case of the cans and the additional bag should get you and butterscotch through the recuperation period. then, you can put him back on a 'regular' type food. since he's had issue with the crystals, though, i'd strongly recommend a brand that doesn't have grains in it as the grains will aggravate the condition and the crystals could form again.

the evo or before grain seems high-priced until you take into account that, since 100% of each piece of it is utilized by the body, they end up eating less because they get what they need quicker. so, you end up not buying it as often and end up spending less in the long run.

most of the stuff you can get at the grocery and pet stores has corn as the first, second or third ingredient. corn is particularly bad with regard to causing issues like the crystals. these pet food companies use it because it's cheap and most people don't know it's bad for their pets

cats, dogs and ferrets are all carnivores. granted, cats and dogs have a cesum (sp?) and they can process grains, fruits and vegy's to a degree, so those items in their kibble aren't completely bad. it's the corn, in particular, that is the big issue and wheat is the second biggest problem-causer.

at the least, i'd switch to a brand that uses rice or barley as the binder ingredient in the kibble. those two are much easier on the system than the corn or wheat and much less likely to cause problems or aggravate existing conditions.

i've had the ferrets on the evo for years now (they don't have a cesum, so really, really can't have kibble with grain in it) and, when i switched them over i saw a big difference in how often i had to buy their food. i went from buying a 40# bag of kibble, with corn or wheat in it, every 6-7 weeks (had 4 ferts at the time) to buying one 30# bag of evo every 8-10 weeks (frequency depended on how often i supplemented with the homemade stuff i make for them).

i've had rusty on the evo only for almost a year now. (i used to mix the evo with the purina stuff) i fill his bowl every 2 - 2 1/2 days rather than every single day like i did before. so, he's eating about half what he was before...and he looks just as good as he did when eating the stuff with the grains in it. in fact, he actually looks better! he's all muscle with no fat at all and his coat is even softer/silkier than it was before.

he's just turning 5 in another month or so, so, he's getting to the point where the crystals, and other digestive tract issues, are possibly going to be an issue (males do seem to develop more of them than females), so, being on no grains now is important for him.

yeah, i have more of an outlay when i buy their food...at the end of the year, i've actually spent less than i would if i was still giving them the 'cheaper cost' stuff. and, it's healthier for them, so i don't mind at all.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #280116 May 13th, 2009 at 05:05 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks again for all the information, Joclyn.

One thing though... these women keep telling me that he has to be on the s/d for at least 3-6 months and then the c/d for at least the rest of a year. Meaning prescription food for an entire year before we can give him the better over the counter food. Are they being a bit excessive, or is that really a concern for him?

Also, I keep meaning to ask you about this but forget - he has a black area on the top of his tail - had it when they first took him to the vet - they said it was secretions, and that after he was neutered it would stop. Well we hadn't noticed it on him all the while he was outdoors - only when he came back this last time. AND the black area is actually getting larger! Any ideas what is going on with that?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #280176 May 13th, 2009 at 09:37 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i've never had a cat with the crystals so i'm not sure about proper length of time for the dietary restrictions. i can ask a couple people who've dealt with it in cats what they've done, though. with ferrets that develop the condition, it's recommended to keep them on grain-free foods for the rest of their lives - not necessarily the prescription stuff, though.

the special food (c/d, a/d, and the others) is usually just a temporary thing for a month or two - just until it's clear that any infection has been resolved and that there are no more crystals forming (urine test can confirm/deny whether crystals are still present or not).

i'd think the same would apply with cats, too. is it the women that are helping that are saying he needs to stay on the special diet for that long or is it the vet who is saying that? if it's the vet, then there may be some truth to it...or it could be a matter of them just trying to make money (some vets will push the issue with the special diets, even when not truly needed, since they do get kickbacks from the company and/or assistance with supplies and equipment for their clinic). maybe call your usual vet and ask if that kind of time frame for being on the special diet is the norm with this kind of situation (excessive amount of time with an untreated infection along with the blockage).

in all honesty, i wouldn't switch him off to regular food straight off. after at least a month on it, i'd ease him off the prescription diet by mixing it with the regular food - 75/25 for a couple/few weeks; then 50/50 for a couple and then 25/75 for a couple and then just the regular kibble. too quickly going back to a richer and less processed diet may cause an issue/relapse of the crystals and that's definitely not what you'd want to happen!!

a month or two strictly on the special diet and then a couple months of weaning off of it should be more than sufficient. unless he starts up with the crystals again - which is not likely to happen if you move from the prescription diet to a high-quality kibble that has no grains or very little grains (and definitely no corn).

of the half dozen people i know that have dealt with cats with the crystals, none have had recurrance after the initial incident - that i'm aware of anyway. they all did move to a better quality kibble after the treatment for infection, though. not all had to do the special diet either.

mostly, that's being recommended here because he had an extended period of time with the active infection that wasn't treated and he had the blockage that kept the urine in his bladder - and all those toxins too. not just in the bladder, either. the kidneys would also be affected by the infection and the blockage causing things to not flow outward and to back up within the system. the special diet is more for giving some extra time for his system to recuperate rather than being a true need for anything more than a few weeks. at least from what knowledge i have about crystals.

i had one ferret that had them when he first came to me. he actually had more serious issues going on - he had lymphosarcoma and it didn't show in any of the tests...was found after he'd died. so, the crystals issue was actually a side-effect of that condition (it was all through his whole digestive tract) as well as residual from the bad diet he'd been eating before he came to me, rather than being it's own issue.

he wasn't put strictly on the special diet either (yes, that same prescription stuff is used with the ferrets, too). all i did with him was give him more soft foods (either the canned evo 95% meat or the stuff i cook and puree for them or the canned prescription stuff) and i also switched to the dog evo since it comes in a red meat version (rather than poultry which is the only option with the cat evo and ferret evo). before he came to me, his diet was really bad (long story about the rescue situation) and getting him on the higher quality/no grain kibble in the first place was a help and getting the chicken, specifically, out of his diet was all he needed to get things back on track and get rid of the crystals...that kind of doesn't apply here, though, since percy's crystals issue was not the main problem and with butterscotch it is.

for the spot on the tail, that sounds quite odd! is it near the base of the tail or somewhere along the length of it? will he let you or your husband take a look at it?? if so, try to wash/wipe it with a warm washcloth. if it is some kind of secretion from hormones (which would be more likely to appear at the base of the tail), then it should wipe away with the washcloth. if it is secretions due to hormones, then, yes, it will stop once the extra hormones are out of his system - that takes a few weeks after being fixed. if he was still in full rutt when fixed, it could be a bit longer.

if it doesn't wipe away, i'd be concerned something else is going on.

under the circumstances - with him being a stray and so used to being outdoors and now being kept inside and all the going to the vet and being treated and fixed, he may be stressed and may be grooming himself too much as a result.

if that's the case, once the spot is wiped at, and you can see below whatever gunk is there, you'll see a sore from his excessive licking at the spot. as long as it's not infected and not an open wound, you can just deal with it with some bitter apple spray sprayed on so that he won't lick at it. you could also get a cone to put on him (if he'll allow that, lol) to keep him from being able to bother the tail.

if there is a sore there, even though he's on antibiotics for the other infection, it can still become infected (different type of bacteria and the antibiotic he's on may not be the right one for that type), so you may need to get a topical ointment to apply/treat it. and you'd have to wrap the tail also so that it has time to heal over - or use the cone to keep him away from it while it heals.

is he due to go back to the vet for a follow-up soon? if so, the vet can take a look at the spot if it turns out to be something other than hormones causing excessive production of oils. if he's not due back for a check-up and it is something more than excessive oils, then you'll need to either call that vet or your usual vet and see if they'll prescribe meds for it...or maybe they'll just say some over-the-counter meds would be sufficient.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #280177 May 13th, 2009 at 09:40 PM
This cat site rocks and might be of help. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/

KeithP #280219 May 14th, 2009 at 11:34 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
That is a great website Keith - thanks for posting the link! I'm sure I will get a ton of great info there, and will keep it in my favorites.

Joclyn - unfortunately, the vet that these women use is the same vet that we use, and if we want them to continue helping us financially we cannot speak with the vet about Butterscotch, or he won't be considered a stray anymore and the women won't be able to get their deep discounts there - got all that???

Once we take him on as our own, we have to bring him in for regular office visits and pay full price for everything. We're not ready to do that, and the women are willing to continue overseeing his care for a few more months.

As for the black spot on the tail - it is on the top of the tail just below where it attaches to the body. I have only seen him clean himself once since he's been in the room, and that was mostly his front legs and the area where they stitched the wound on his shoulder. By the way - the stitches are gone and there is only the slightest spot where the wound was - YEA!

He still isn't at the stage where he trusts us enough to try and wipe the black area - he is still swiping at both of us as we pet him, so we need to work that out first. The black area is so weird - it almost reminds me of tar. His tail was flat there also when he first came back to us and I noticed the black - I thought maybe he got run over by something, but the women told us that THE VET (our vet too) said it was secretions?

He was crying a good bit yesterday - he really wants to come out of that room. I go in as often as I can and spend some time either just sitting with him, or trying to pet him. I brought some toys in there but he isn't interested. Sylvia was saying that he needed a toy mouse, but he pays no attention to the one I put in there and was trying to play with him. I know this will all pass with time, but I feel badly for him being stuck in there all by himself when he knows that we and the other cats are on the other side of the door. Our Amber kept shoving a red mouse under the door yesterday - she always did that even before Butterscotch was in that room, and I'd have to retrieve it for her. Now she knows he's in there - he didn't pass it back outside the door. Just sat by the door sadly...

He is not due back to the vet so far as I know. All the issues are being taken care of by the women either over the phone, or picking up things we need for him. Again... if WE take him back we will have to pay full price and we will lose the assistance of the women for good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #280285 May 14th, 2009 at 07:35 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
by all means, continue on (for as long as you need to) as if he's just a stray!! i understand completely :)

it may be that they're urging you to continue him on the food so that they are still involved - some people who offer help, like they have, do so to have control and they sometimes like to keep that control as long as is possible. that may not be the case, though. it may be that he does really need to be on the special diet that long. if they're willing to help with supplying the food for a while, then go with it as it's certainly not going to hurt him any!

once you get to the point where you can take on any vet bills and/or he seems to be completely clear of the crystals, you can start weaning him off of it.

i hate to see any of my 'kiddies' holed up due to illness - they are SO good at giving those pouty/poor-me faces and it just breaks my heart to have to keep them confined!! he still needs time to recuperate though. and he still needs time to get completely comfortable with you and your husband. as well as adjust to being an indoor cat now.

in a couple weeks, maybe bring in one of your females and do a short intro - if all goes well, you can continue to give them some time together each day and maybe even leave her there with him - would be good company for him and would help to get him acclimated to the others (you could do intro's with the others in the same manner once he's comfortable with one of them).

you're absolutely right, it's going to take time for him to adjust. he will though and quicker than you may think - just look at how far he's come already and in such a short time, too!!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #280632 May 17th, 2009 at 11:21 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
tearsUnfortunately, it seems that Butterscotch is blocked up again.
Or there is something else going on, but most likely blockage.

Yesterday morning, Don went downstairs to find that Butterscotch had thrown up and had diarhea all over his room. And he had hardly eaten any of the food our son had put out for dinner Friday night. We gave him 1/3 cup of the dry s/d yesterday morning, which he usually gobbles up in a few minutes - it is still mostly there right now - over 24 hours later.

I gave him a small amount of the wet s/d food this morning - he took 2 licks and walked away. Just now, about 4 hours later, I moved the bowl next to the chair I sit in, and he ate a bit more, but not all, like he used to do.

He is also licking himself often, which is another sign of a urinary tract problem. So I called Sylvia, and they are going to have him go back to the vet. She is coming here early tomorrow morning to hopefully help me get him into our carrier. I don't know how we are going to do that, as we lured him with food last time, and he doesn't seem interested right now. We cannot lift him and put him in there - he bit my husband this morning and broke the skin - first time for that!

So it will be interesting to see how things play out tomorrow. I just feel so badly for the poor fur baby! He wants out of that room so badly, but we can't until he is totally healed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #280723 May 17th, 2009 at 07:40 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
oh, the poor thing!!

hmm, maybe it was too soon for the hard food? or, maybe (and possibly more likely) he is just feeling better and just wants OUT?

if you have to, use a pillow case instead of the carrier - or, just to get him into the carrier.

good luck with it and i hope it's not a recurrance of the crystals - please post when you have news!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #280746 May 18th, 2009 at 06:19 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Jocyln - I don't think that he just wants out because last night my husband stepped in a puddle of urine when he went in to say goodnight to him, and this morning Butterscotch was leaking on the floor when I gave him a tiny bit of fresh canned food. He really wanted to eat it, but only got half way done and couldn't eat anymore. This was only half of 1/8 of a can! At least he did get something into him before he is put in the carrier.

He still has not used the litterbox at all since Friday night, and only ate a couple of pieces of the dry food. He seems to be having difficulty eating the round pieces - he finally gets one chewed in half and one half falls out of his mouth onto the floor or back into the bowl. He never had a problem with dry food before, but it wasn't round like this is.

I am waiting to hear back from Sylvia after Ilene calls the vet. She was supposed to have called the vet about 20 minutes ago. Once they know if he can be seen this morning, Sylvia will come over and help me get him into the carrier.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #280750 May 18th, 2009 at 06:43 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Oh MY Lynne--I am so sorry--I hope it is something minor and can be easily fixed. prayers--I wil be thinking of the 2 of you.

________

JunieGirl #280777 May 18th, 2009 at 01:32 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks Carol!

Well I took him in right after I wrote here this morning - Sylvia was a pro in getting him into the carrier - I was so impressed!!!

The vet picked him up and felt underneath, and right away said he is so blocked up that this is an emergency case!!! He didn't even want to hear about anything else - Sylvia told me to be sure to tell him everything - like the fact that she thought he was dehydrated - he said that first and foremost he is terribly blocked and if he can't fix that then the other things won't matter!!!

He asked me what I wanted him to do, or if he should call Ilene - I said yes call Ilene, because right now we are "fostering" him, and the final decision is hers. He told me that they can try to unblock a male cat 3 times and that he really needs surgery which is VERY costly. I told him that neither we, nor the organization can afford that, so when he called Ilene he asked if she wanted him to try and unblock him, or to euthanize him. They agreed that he is such a sweet cat, and to try to unblock him once more. So I left him at the vet's and he is also going to stay at least til Wednesday so the vet can see how he does.

I was able to overhear him talking with Ilene on the phone in another room, and I got choked up - he really is such a sweetie. I hope this time works like a charm... poor Butterscotch!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #280792 May 18th, 2009 at 04:37 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Poor Poor Butterscotch--I am so sorry for him--and for you kissie

________

JunieGirl #280874 May 19th, 2009 at 03:38 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
He asked me what I wanted him to do, or if he should call Ilene - I said yes call Ilene, because right now we are "fostering" him, and the final decision is hers. He told me that they can try to unblock a male cat 3 times and that he really needs surgery which is VERY costly. I told him that neither we, nor the organization can afford that, so when he called Ilene he asked if she wanted him to try and unblock him, or to euthanize him. They agreed that he is such a sweet cat, and to try to unblock him once more. So I left him at the vet's and he is also going to stay at least til Wednesday so the vet can see how he does.

I was able to overhear him talking with Ilene on the phone in another room, and I got choked up - he really is such a sweetie. I hope this time works like a charm... poor Butterscotch!!!

boohoo prayers Butterscotch,,
Lynne I'm so glad you have him,, and know what to look for,, You are Butterscotch's Angel kissie
Please keep us updated.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,927
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image