Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi all,
Been lazy today- worked on Carrie's accts and did the kitchen work- meals - clean up etc... Joe is bringing dinner home today so not worrying about that today... was really cold last night but it's warmed up to 43* right now...
I need to start some laundry too and get that done up or won't have any clothes to wear in a day or two-
Maxi is just seeing how far he can push you- always told my kids I was not a moveable obstacle.... he will come back and be himself again....
Derek and Jon went to the stock show yesterday... he didn't like it- said it smelled like PooP.... well yes a bunch of animals and that's what you get.... very much a city kid.... Jon didn't like it much either- they put him in charge of 4 kids- one of them a girl and her folks gave her a camera to use-- she kept running off to take pics... finally he told her if she did it again he was going to keep the camera till they got back to school... she told the teacher and teacher backed him up at least--
Well off to gather and do a load or two of laundry...
Nana

[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
Oh, Merme. I was so hoping that Maine was far enough away from the mainstream teen stuff that seems to require an "attitude".

I doubt anyone lives far away from the mainstream of teens attitude these days, sad but true ,,

Originally Posted by Merme
But Maxi will get over this quickly if he intends to keep a tongue in his head by the time he reaches 14. lol

Atta Girl Merme,, nip it in the bud!!! lol lol thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I knew you have TV, Merme. I also know that kids learn a lot of this stuff from each other and their music and such. I had just hoped Maxi was a bigger little guy than all of that, partly because of all he has been through with you.
I could not and still cannot figure the difference in my first set of teens to my last one. Why did she adopt her attitude? I ask her and she says she doesn't really know except she thought all teens had to. I am still waiting for her to apologize, I guess, because I am still quite angry about it when I think of it and the good times we missed out on.
I hope you can settle matters soon with Maxi, Merme.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Thanks guys.

Well, my mouthy kid came back in, right on time as promised. While I fed him his late lunch, I started imitating him in an outlandish way and got him laughing so hard at himself.

He's been much better ever since.

But geez oh man he's been with his dad for a long while now and it BUGS me absolutely to hear him mimic his dad's pet expressions and what all. When he gets going, it is like I am still living with my EX!!!!! We've been apart 12 years so it creeps me out to hear all that again.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I bet it does, Merme. It would me as well.
I laid myself down for a stretch. Now I need to run out for a couple of items. I might just wait until tomorrow early though. I don't like going out in the late afternoon or evenings. I don't think anything is scheduled for tomorrow.
Jonni just baked a chocolate chip banana bread for a potluck she is attending tonight. My house smells good and it is making me hungry.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
We made chicken in the dutch oven. We added potatoes, onions, tomatoes and green beans. It should be done by 8. Good thing, too, because I am a hungry me.

Maxi is busy drawing his comic series.

It got really really cold here again today. I laid down on the living room floor to watch a movie this afternoon and although I was laying on top of a sleeping bag, I could still feel the cold coming up through the floor. THAT'S cold!

So I told Maxi if he gets down on the floor tonight, he has to put TWO blankets down first and lay on them and cover up with something else.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Jonni just baked a chocolate chip banana bread for a potluck she is attending tonight. My house smells good and it is making me hungry.

Those are such very terribly yummy scents, Tina! I bet your house does smell marvelous.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Even in Cal. it gets cold sleeping on the floor. But we don't insulate our floors like I imagine you do there. In the summer, I often sleep on a sleeping bag on the floor. The hard surface feels best to me.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
The hard surface always feels best to me, too, Tina. I regret it when I can't get down there. It is my favorite place to stretch out to watch a movie or listen to music. And for sleeping. Maxi likes to play games there also, so we spent much time on the floor when I am strong enough to do so.

I need to do another manicure. I did a very quick one the other day and of course it didn't last. Those fasties never do.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I went last Sunday and got a manicure and pedicure. I get a color on my toes but always do my hands clear. It chips off too quickly. For some reason I can't keep the polish on like others do.

It was a lovely day here weather wise.

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I have never had a manicure or pedicure. I just don't grow nails like everyone else does. It would all chip off or break off before I got home. Or I would stop and pull a weed outside of the shop and mess it up before it was completely dry.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
that's why I get my hands done clear. I keep my nails short. This is weird I know but I'm a little claustrophobic and if my nails get even a little long I feel like I'm closed in.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Hello everyone-----I am here for a bit before bed---

I wish I could get a pedicure, sheri--I have siome kind of fungus on my toes, so I have never tried to get one. tears

about the polish not staying on your nails--I used to have acrylic nails and I found out THAT is what held onto the polish.--I never thought about it much until one of our friends made the comment on how she could not keep polish on and that was why--I asked my nail tech--& yep that was why---

I myself only wear clear now too, as I no longer get my nails done.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
can't you get medicine for the fungus?

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I have a fungus under my thumb nails. So a friend gave me an article by a Dr. It said to use Vicks VapoRub on it every night before bed. (no off brands). So I got out the Vicks and dutifully used it. I found out that I rub my eyes in my sleep and Vicks burns.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
can you wear gloves to bed for a while.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Sheri---yes I can get some medicine---My DH got some simple anti fungal stuff to p ut on & it clearfd his right up--I have just been too lazy so far.

So Tina, did the Vicks help your fungus.

I myslef have heard that putting vicks on the soles of your feet at night and then socks on over that will help get rid of coughing, or at least quite it for several hours---anyone hear that before???

________

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Ask Cindy about Vick's on her feet. She heard it on here and swears by it now.
I forget about it when I have a cough.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
And I never have been diligent about the Vicks on my nails. I need to do it and wear gloves though. It really does irritate my eyes.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well keep me posted if you do that, Tina--I will be very interested in finding out the results.

________

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
I believe in the vicks on the feet for a cough or cold too.. used to do it to my kids and do it to myself if I catch a cold or feel one coming on..(Nana knocking on wood here- don't want a cold)..even if you are just chilled it helps too, it works! never heard it for fungus though... I would have to wear gloves too if I used it on my hands..
Merme glad you got thru to Maxi about his teen mouth problem- it is hard to parent teens... especially when you aren't the only example they have, I bet your example is the one that sticks with him for life though.
Got to go and get ready for bed- I am tired tonight...
Nana

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thansk for the iformation, nana---I will be sure to try it the next time I get a cold ((Carol knocking on wood as well))

I will now wish you all a good night--and sweet dreams to everyone...... wavy

________

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I've been doing my own manicures for 38 years although I have had it done professionally when I was on stage often. I can't imagine not caring for my hands as hard as I use them!

The docs up here hand out those fact sheets about Vicks for nail fungus. I forget the details but there is more to it than just applying the Vicks. One thing is using a nail brush to scrub off the debris but I forget what else.

I've noticed I need to overhaul my wardrobe. It is showing signs of neglect! lol

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I would like to get hold of one of those fact sheets, Merme. I know that scrubbing and keeping as clean as possible is a help to slow the spread.
I have been doing laundry today and realized the the kids wardrobes are in much better shape than John's and mine. They tend to outgrow things more than we do. A lot of ours are ready for the ragbag. But John has not wanted new. And I haven't had time and energy to shop for new. So we will survive this too.
I actually stayed up past 9 o'clock tonight. I have been passing out earlier lately. But I am ready now so good night all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Nana's11
...Merme glad you got thru to Maxi about his teen mouth problem- it is hard to parent teens... especially when you aren't the only example they have, I bet your example is the one that sticks with him for life though....

yes, merme, your influence will stick more than the other. you know a few of the trials and tribulations with matthew, and Lord knows there are more than anyone knows. BUT... he is visiting his family in pennsylvania right now and we've gotten 2 calls already about how polite and well mannered he is. he uses his southern manners, yes ma'am, no sir, etc. and very little bad language, if any, around his elders. the kids up there in that area aren't taught that, so they all talk like rough factory or construction workers, even the teen girls in front of their parents.

Scott and I couldn't believe it, felt it was sad for the children, and we are thankful that one lesson stuck with matthew thumbup

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Good morning, everybody.

Jiffy! I'm glad your Matthew is doing you proud in PA. I grew up in PA, so I know what you mean about manner of speech. My parents insisted on the "yes mam, no sir" rule as well but we were about the only ones. Several times in school the adults thought we were being fresh (sarcastic) and called our parents to complain about it! My mom thought that indicated all the more reason for us children to speak that way -- what sorry state of affairs is it, anyway, when adults can't recognize polite from rude?

Gotta go make some coffee.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I had a friend who always said he was born in a manger like Jesus. His family didn't make it to the hospital right away so they stopped by a barn in Ark. And there he was born. One day in school he left the door open behind him and his teacher said, "Were you born in a barn?" He said, "yes Ma'am, I was". He actually got punished and didn't know why.
I woke early and went back to bed. Still got up at 6:30. Third cup.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I'm on my 3rd cup. the coffee doesn't seem to be helping much today.
I'm taking it easy today. I did enough yesterday for the whole weekend!
we stress the yes sir yes ma'am thing for our kids too. I tell them at least say yes instead of yea to an adult. sayin yea to an adult sounds rude no matter what the tone of voice.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
1k Posts
1k Posts
I'm the most polite kid in my family. My siblings swear like sailors.They picked it up at school or from the neighbors.

Waiting for fall...
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
we are having a surprisingly nice weekend weather wise. it was supposed to be very cold and rainy all weekend, but it is 60ish outside now and abosultly no rain...yet.

Cricket

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
When Maxi was 5 and in pre-K, one day he fell down at the busstop and stood up and let loose a cuss word he'd learned from his dad. It wasn't a mild cuss word at all! Every adult at the stop looked at him in absolute surprise. I rebuked him for saying it.

Later that day I talked with his dad and told him what Maxi had said. He laughed and thought the kid had done a great job expressing himself. I said "he could have said 'that hurt really bad!'." My EX said "no, he couldn't have said that because it didn't just hurt really bad. It hurt the way he said it hurt!"

So forever after that I was on my own with teaching Maxi not to swear and he's always done really well with being careful but I've noticed he's lost some ground through staying with dad so long this year. His dad has the worst language of any adult I've ever heard and he encourages the boys to mimic him.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
encourages it!!!!???
that is horrible, merme!

I swooshed Lucy, the parakeet, out of her cage so I could disassemble it and give it a good wash down. she is hanging out in the kitchen on top of a statue that is up high above a cabinet. I just realized how dusty and cob webby it is up there! YUCK! I'm waiting on the kidos to finish up with their cookie baking project so I can swoosh her away to someplace cleaner. poor lucy!

Cricket

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Merme that happen to my daughter while at school.
We lived across the street from the school ,, I had taken a personal day off work, Mid day the principle walked over my daughter by the hand knocked on my door and said he was sending her home for the day, She had cussed a boy on the play ground for pulling her hair hard to the point it made her cry so her reaction was to cuss him,, a word my Ex husband used a lot,, tapfoot
She was only in first grade, shock , I only punished her for saying the word as she had often heard me chewing my Ex out for saying that word, there fore She knew better!
Lesson learned was,,,,
What language is not appropriate for home use then it also applies to public use, teach .
I told her to pull the boys hair back and I bet he will cut it out( Told the principle when he brought her home I'd tell her to pull his hair back)
That boy pulled her hair one time after that , when she caught up with him on the play ground she gave his hair a good yank,, and he never pulled her hair again after that,, notme lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Is Lucy easy to catch and return to her cage, Cricket?
Jonni had a 'keet that loved a particular toy. Wherever we put that toy the bird would follow. So getting her/him back in the cage from play time was easy. We would put the toy on a little train and the bird would follow it around and around until it hopped on for a ride too. It would leap over the bridge or duck under it. Very amusing. But the bird also bit the hand that fed it if the toy wasn't offered so we found a new, happier home with other birds.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Is Lucy easy to catch and return to her cage, Cricket?
Jonni had a 'keet that loved a particular toy. Wherever we put that toy the bird would follow. So getting her/him back in the cage from play time was easy. We would put the toy on a little train and the bird would follow it around and around until it hopped on for a ride too. It would leap over the bridge or duck under it. Very amusing. But the bird also bit the hand that fed it if the toy wasn't offered so we found a new, happier home with other birds.

TOO CUTE about the train ride!
lucy still doesn't like people much, and isn't the brighest parakeet I've met. she was a 'run away' when she was a baby. my cousins found her and took her in, but then neglected her for a year. I've had her for a little over a year now. she's tolerant of us, but doesn't like us. it is very easy to get her back in her cage though. all you have to do is bring her cage to her and she'll jump right in. she is chillin on my wine rack now. she's sitting in my dead zinnea flower head box and pecking on a wind chime that hangs by it. there is also a mirrow on the back side so she's checking herself out.

Cricket

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
That boy pulled her hair one time after that , when she caught up with him on the play ground she gave his hair a good yank,, and he never pulled her hair again after that...

Good for you both, Diane! Good for you guys. lol

I am very proud of Maxi. Today I asked him to help me make the pillow inserts for the pillows Ive crocheted and he agreed.

First, I asked him to make a T-square by taping a pencil on our yard stick.
Second, I asked him to unroll the bolt of fabric onto the living room floor and measure the width.
Third, I asked him to fold it in half lengthwise then trim the raw edge evenly.
Fourth, he used the T-square to mark the four lines.
Fifth, he cut along the marks he'd made.

Then I sewed the pillow insert on my machine.

Sixth, Maxi stuffed it for me and I hand sewed the last opening and he inserted the pillow into the cover and then I sewed the final seam of the outer cover.

Then he tried it out for a bit to make sure we'd done a good job!

My bobbin ran out of thread and I don't want to try to spin a new one today so we will make the insert for his pillow next weekend. Today's effort was for the pillow I made Christine to match the afghan.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Very cool on the insert and the help, Merme.
I laid down and tried to nap for a bit. Stretching and resting helps. But got a phone call and visitors coming by in a minute or two. And cooking up a couple of tamale pies for dinners tonight.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I had a friend who always said he was born in a manger like Jesus. His family didn't make it to the hospital right away so they stopped by a barn in Ark. And there he was born. One day in school he left the door open behind him and his teacher said, "Were you born in a barn?" He said, "yes Ma'am, I was". He actually got punished and didn't know why.

I'd say that was funny if he wasn't punished. Maybe mom sent a note to school explaining.

Merme, can't you do something about your aid not showing up. What if you have an emergency and think she's coming in a minute?

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Sheri I will have to speak to the agency on Monday about this girl's irregular habits. I don't worry about possible emergencies because these girls aren't trained in any emergency protocol.... when they've been present during past emergencies, I've had to give them step by step instructions and even so, a few of them have argued with me!

Fortunately, though, I have a Lifeline. It's kinda creepy/spooky, but they installed a communications unit next to my phone. If I need help, I just push the button (it's a 1 inch square gizmo) I wear around my neck. A voice responds from the box by the phone "Mary-El, do you need help?" It will be handy.

I had an elaborate salad for dinner tonight along with two mini cheese sandwiches. It was good but it wasn't hot, so now I have to have some Red rose Tea. I must be a genuine salad head, because I love them. And, the more ingredients they have, the better!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour

It was funny and happened over fifty years ago. He told it like a favorite joke. His dad went to school and saved him from further retribution. He got a big kick out of sharing the story. So laugh away.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,924
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image