Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#261051 Feb 4th, 2009 at 11:16 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I have the ceramic top too and mine also has the lights saying which burners are hot. I really like my stove. The only thing is with it being a flat top, we tend to set things on it a lot when we are doing stuff and James has more than once put a loaf of bread on a hot burner and the plastic melts. lol lol I told him that is what the lights are for...so he knows when they are hot. I think he has learned now. lol

#261079 Feb 4th, 2009 at 04:46 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Jessica, does your oven self clean? If it does, then you can just lock the oven and if the oven gets turned on then it is no big deal. They also make a plastic oven lock for the oven. One Step Ahead sells them... Oven Lock

I was looking at some of the other safety products they have. They have a nifty basket that you can put your cleaning supplies in and then it has a lid that goes over the top and latches....it looks neat...I like it!

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #261112 Feb 4th, 2009 at 07:27 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I have a Kenmore electric range w/ oven that I really like. The knobs are in the back, though. Because I am in the chair most of the time I have a flat stick with a notch at the far end and another notch halfway down the side. I use the notch at the end to reach the knobs to turn them and also to push the oven rack in. I use the notch on the side to pull the oven rack out. It is a handy tool.

I've seen ranges with knobs along the side also. Perhaps something like that would work for you, Lynne, if you can't find one you like with the knobs in front.

I've never had a flat top but I'm sure I'd like it.

But have you guys seen the ones that are instantly hot when you put the pan on them and then are cool to the touch when you remove it? The "burners" are kind of bowl shaped and the pot fits down in?

Jess James shouldn't feel too bad about melting bread wrappers. I have melted Tupperware sitting them on an electric burner I thought was cool.

I have a Whirlpool Washer & Dryer and I have never had issues with it not rinsing either.

Merme

Last edited by Merme; Feb 4th, 2009 at 08:06 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #261113 Feb 4th, 2009 at 07:34 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
My oven does self clean, Jenn, but it doesn't have the lock that I can do on my own. It locks itself when I start the clean cycle....if that makes sense. But, I am not as concerned now as I was when Tristen was smaller. He knows now that he needs to stay away from it.

My oven is a Frigidaire Gallery. I looked when I got home. It has been a great for us.

I'm surprised we haven't melted more on it Merme. lol I guess I am used to it and I watch for the lights so I know if it is still hot or not.

#261143 Feb 4th, 2009 at 08:24 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Merme~ They make flat tops that get hot super fast like that also. They use conduction to produce the heat...which is why the tops don't get hot. ...they use a super strong magnet that causes the pot or pan to actually produce the heat. Some companies are now coming out with tops that are flat and that will literally "find" the cooking instrument anywhere on the cooking surface....so if you have like 7 smaller pans on there, you can cook with each of them at the same time. It is VERY interesting what they are coming up with now. ...I still like gas. lol

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #261152 Feb 4th, 2009 at 08:38 PM
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Originally Posted by hisgal2
Ditchy, for the most part you are right about cooking from scratch, BUT there are some things like the veggies that I get (that happen to have some sauces in the bags with the veggies) that I get for absolutely FREE with my coupons combined with the store sale. So, you have to keep an eye on that stuff. Also, because produce is seasonal....tomatoes are MUCH cheaper in the summer than in the winter as well as apples (cheaper in the fall) and other fruits like that.

I did want to mention that canned pet food is not really that good for pets. It is bad for their teeth. Also, when you buy dry dog food (not sure if this applies to cat food as well), look at the ingredients. ALOT of makers will make the first ingredient corn. This is a filler. Try to find dry food that has no corn at all or has it as a 3rd ingredient or even further down in the ingredient list. Your dog will not poo as much and also will not eat as much! Also, some breeds really shouldn't have corn at all...it doesn't agree with them. With as large as our dogs are, they eat only about 4 cups of food a day (we let them free feed). We get a dog food in bulk (45 pounds of food for $26) and it lasts about 3 weeks with the two dogs. I can't remember if this kind has corn in it or not. We like to stay away from corn all together, but it is hard..so if this food does have corn in it, then it is either 3rd or 4th in the ingredient list.

I know hisgal.. theres some things you just cannot avoid!
Boy are you right about the canned pet foods.! Theres some bad dry ones as well.
shock And your right about the corn.. Dog and cat. If the first or second ingredient is corn put it back its junk! IT should be way down on the list!
I used to own a small pet store, we sold Premium pet foods only and tropical fish and supplies.
Iams is not great anymore since they went into the supermarkets.

Last edited by Ditchy; Feb 4th, 2009 at 08:40 PM.

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #261160 Feb 4th, 2009 at 09:03 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I think right now we are getting the Sam's Club brand. Corn is either 3rd or 4th on the list....they dogs haven't been eating any more food than normal, so I think it is Ok for them. It hasn't seemed to mess with their systems either (apparently Malamutes can have picky bowels). lol

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #261192 Feb 5th, 2009 at 07:38 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Our vet has told us what to feed our animals. He says if a person takes care of their pet, in that they take then to the vet when they're sick, that feeding them correctly will save money in the long run.

Bestofour #261194 Feb 5th, 2009 at 07:41 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
When we first got our dog, she was having a bowel movement pretty much every time she went outside. The vet told be that there was too many byproducts in the food and we should switch her food. He recommended Purina. We have been giving her Purina Beneful ever since. The crazy thing is that the food we were giving her was some food you could only buy at a pet store and it wasn't cheap. That is what they recommended to us. So, ever since we switched her food she has been fine.

#261197 Feb 5th, 2009 at 07:55 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Jessica, I looked up Beneful and the first ingredient is ground yellow corn. In fact, I looked up several dog foods and the first ingredient is corn. I think our vet told us to give our lab Purina Fit and Trim, which we have been doing, the the first ingredient is corn. Now I don't know what to do.

Bestofour #261199 Feb 5th, 2009 at 07:58 AM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I don't know Sheri but that is what he recommended and she is totally fine!!

#261250 Feb 5th, 2009 at 02:06 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
some animals do fine with corn, most do not. if your vet is happy, and the dog is happy, i'd stay with what i currently used.

#261254 Feb 5th, 2009 at 02:37 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am now afraid to look at the ingredients of my dog's food. I might feel I have to start cooking for him. He has done very well on the same food for 9 years, no complaints. Of course, he would love it if I cooked for him.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
#261264 Feb 5th, 2009 at 04:13 PM
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Exactly right! One sure way to know if your dog or cat is getting the food he or she needs, and is not just processing junk is by the inffrequency of Bowel movements. One reason I loved Eagle.
Something I always told my customers. Feed cheep food with fillers and you will be picking your wasted money up from the back yard! haha Pooing once a day maybe twice is as much as you should see. And small poos as well not big giant nasty smelly ones.
My stinky subject huh! grin

[Linked Image]
Tina #261265 Feb 5th, 2009 at 04:15 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I realize that I will most probably never be a Coupon Diva, but I would just like to feel that I'm getting ordinary items at a reasonable price.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #261289 Feb 5th, 2009 at 06:49 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
merme, I'm with you. I won't do as well as Jen but I'm gonna do better.

Our vet put Porter, who is 6, on Purina Fit and Trim and guess what. The first ingredient is corn. He does poo a lot. Johnny and I have both said so. I've never heard of Eagle dog food Ditchy. I'll check and see if it's in my area.

Bestofour #261294 Feb 5th, 2009 at 07:06 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I know, Sheri. Jenn & G-mom are AWESOME with what they do. If either one of them lived in my town I'd probably be inspired to try even harder. Tonight I mentioned all of this to my Ex's girlfriend who often does my shopping & she thought highly of the plan, too. Those binders just make a good deal of sense.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#261322 Feb 5th, 2009 at 10:33 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
some animals do fine with corn, most do not. if your vet is happy, and the dog is happy, i'd stay with what i currently used.

Dante is healthy & happy on the Beneful original.--he used to be on Purina fit & trim, but in his older days-(he is just about 11)- he needs the fat and oils in the regular---

2 of my grandpuppies have corn allergies, and cannot eat dog food with corn in it. The Husky of Valarie's with it, has just about out grown his allergy and for the most part is eating regular purina.---But Beowulf is quite allergic and has to have a corn free food all the time.---which is very hard to find, and expensive.--For the life of me I cannot remember its name, but I have some here just in case they come unprepared.

It may be some kind of "natural" science diet stuff--- why

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #261380 Feb 6th, 2009 at 01:19 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I talked to Johnny and we're going to check out some different things for Porter. ToDeTa is on a special canned diet since she's had part of her colon removed.

JunieGirl #261384 Feb 6th, 2009 at 01:35 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
evo is a good kibble - it doesn't have corn, wheat or rice in it (potato is used as the 'binder'). comes in a cat version, a dog version and a ferret version.

the cat and the ferret versions are chicken/turkey based.

the dog versions come in turkey/chicken base and red meat base (beef, lamb, buffalo, venison) and they also have a low-fat version that is turkey/chicken based.

for canned food they offer 95% meat (no fillers, just water or broth and some supplemental oils added for that other 5%). both versions come in 5.5 oz and 13.2 oz sizes.

cat canned comes in chicken/turkey, duck, venison, beef

dog canned comes in chicken/turkey, duck, venison, beef, rabbit

there's also before grain brand kibble and canned food - for dogs and cats. i wouldn't necessarily use the kibble because it has potato AND sweet potato in it - sugars are an issue for ferrets and can be for cats as well (and maybe dogs, too).

the canned stuff is 100% meat though (with just some water for processing)! i just bought some just yesterday, in fact!

the cat canned comes in beef, chicken, quail, salmon, tuna, turkey

the dog canned comes in beef, buffalo, chicken, salmon, tripe, turkey

the cat canned only comes in 3.2 oz and 5.5 oz sizes and the dog in 13.2 (per the website - i think i saw 5.5 size in the store though).

i bought a can of turkey and one of quail...the turkey had more water in it than the quail...the can of the quail was packed FULL of meat.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #261499 Feb 6th, 2009 at 09:07 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I forgot to mention, Beowulf gets the "runs" badly if he eats more than say 2 pieces of dry corn dog food. I have searched all of my records and I cannot find the name, and I know I wrote it down & put it someplace "safe"--well apparently also safe from me!!!.. I am sure it came from Petco or Pets mart though.

________

JunieGirl #262108 Feb 8th, 2009 at 05:42 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Porter does not ever have runny stools but he goes a lot. Maybe 5 times a day and he seems starved all the time. We're going to change his food and see what happens.

Bestofour #262149 Feb 8th, 2009 at 07:57 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
keep us posted-----I hope are things will get better for Porter soon.

________

JunieGirl #262162 Feb 8th, 2009 at 08:20 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
****************************CLOSED*************************************

haha

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image