Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#258512 Jan 23rd, 2009 at 11:34 AM
OP Offline
Hi everyone! Long time, no see!

(If you remember me, you may remember that I was in school, which is part of the reason I was so sporadic in visiting this forum. I have graduated with my English Education degree, and now I'm substituting in Boise until the job openings for next year are posted.)

I have a simple orchid question (relatively simple, I would think). I read and read and read up on orchid care, but never found the answer to this particular question.

My boyfriend's dad gave us an orchid that was sent to his dad's partner's funeral in August. His dad gave it to me under the condition that I don't kill it.

So far, it's been healthy, despite my failings to give the orchid a nice, humid environment. I've got orchid food, and only feed it with distilled water. It bloomed for quite a while, and I am suspecting it is now in the resting period. The green foliage is still dark green and extremely healthy looking.

The blooms have died, so did the stalks the blooms were growing from. The stalks dried up and turned brown, so I cut them off today after a long deliberation over what I should do with them.

Should you do this?

Thanks, guys!

In case you're interested--

orchid pics (taken the day of the funeral):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

manderlyh #258538 Jan 23rd, 2009 at 01:37 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Hi grin congrats on the degree! I'm hoping to get to university this september. do you mean what to do with the stalk that you cut down off the orchid? I've never had much luck with orchids, but if the stalk was shrivelled/brown and you cut it off, it won't grow. You won't be able to root the stalk. I think you have a type of Oncidium (minax?) if that makes it easier to search.

This looks like a very helpful site; you might want to check it out grin
http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/amusement/frisbee/39/onc_gen_culture.htm

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #258926 Jan 25th, 2009 at 11:39 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Gorgous orchid and congrats on the degree.

i agree with Kenny.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #261244 Feb 5th, 2009 at 12:46 PM
OP Offline
I got rid of the stalk, but I was wondering if I'd done the right thing. I want to know whether my orchid is healthy, I guess. grin

Other than the flowers and the stalks the flowers grew on,(that I cut off, the orchid looks exactly the same as in the pictures above. I'm guessing that the plant's fine.

I just know almost nothing about orchids.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image