A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Where's James??? boohoo

From Yahoo Computer Reports
Orange warning Level!!!!!!!!!!!
"Tomorrow -- April 1 -- is D-Day for Conficker, as whatever nasty payload it's packing is currently set to activate. What happens come midnight is a mystery: Will it turn the millions of infected computers into spam-sending zombie robots? Or will it start capturing everything you type -- passwords, credit card numbers, etc. -- and send that information back to its masters?

No one knows, but we'll probably find out soon.

Or not. As Slate notes, Conficker is scheduled to go "live" on April 1, but whoever's controlling it could choose not to wreak havoc but instead do absolutely nothing, waiting for a time when there's less heat. They can do this because the way Conficker is designed is extremely clever: Rather than containing a list of specific, static instructions, Conficker reaches out to the web to receive updated marching orders via a huge list of websites it creates. Conficker.C -- the latest bad boy -- will start checking 50,000 different semi-randomly-generated sites a day looking for instructions, so there's no way to shut down all of them. If just one of those sites goes live with legitimate instructions, Conficker keeps on trucking.

Conficker's a nasty little worm that takes serious efforts to bypass your security defenses, but you aren't without some tools in your arsenal to protect yourself.

Your first step should be the tools you already have: Windows Update, to make sure your computer is fully patched, and your current antivirus software, to make sure anything that slips through the cracks is caught.
What won't work? Turning your PC off tonight and back on on April 2 will not protect you from the worm (sorry to the dozens of people who wrote me asking if this would do the trick). Temporarily disconnecting your computer from the web won't help if the malware is already on your machine -- it will simply activate once you connect again. Changing the date on your PC will likely have no helpful effect, either."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Oh OH!!!!!!! nervous nervous

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, this has dominated our news for a day or so. I downloaded a program recommended by them to protect from this.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Which one did you down load?? My yahoo page suggested several, but also said some users may have problems,, Seeings that I have Vista I want to be sure to down load one that won't freeze My computer, as many programs do boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Diane today on the "Today Show" they said to check for the worm to try to go to a security web site like "Symantec"--if you cannot you likely have the worm. the good news is if you can access any security web site you are ok and do not have the worm.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thanks Carol!!!!!!!! Been doing some checking,, Sysmantic is Norton,, I have avg( avast) and I made sure every security Program I have is currently updated

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
How do people get these things???? Do they just download weird crap or what? We don't have any kind of anti-virus stuff on either of our computers and have never had a problem. My inlaws have a few different kind of anti-virus programs on their computers and are constantly getting weird things on their computers. What is the deal!?

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I think you may have been lucky, Jenn. These often crawl around from computer to computer and look like maybe a friend sent you an email. When you open an email or an attachment, they got you.
So if someone sends you an email that says "Hey! I'm sending you some new family pics." and there's an attachment you click on the open icon and bang!
It can even come from your inlaws if the worm got to their address book. Or your best friend. Anyone already infected. Or a business you deal with. Then everyone in your address book is in danger too.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
Which one did you down load?? My yahoo page suggested several, but also said some users may have problems,, Seeings that I have Vista I want to be sure to down load one that won't freeze My computer, as many programs do boohoo

I used this one for my XP. But i looked and they have a beta version just for vista users. It is free.
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
And snopes has this to say with a couple of links to fixes
http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/conficker.asp

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
OMG, I have vomiting and diarrhea. I'm getting a fever and chills and am aching all over. My ears and nose are bleeding and my eyes are crusting closed. I think I've caught the Conflicker Worm virus from my computer!

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Thornius
OMG, I have vomiting and diarrhea.

I'M A NURSE. I'll SAVE YOU. angel Since you've already downloaded (yuck) maybe you should upload. I'll see if Cindy Roscoe will share her Beam and Pepsi with you.

The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Oh, it's Roscoe now is it, eh?

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Cindy is a woman of mystery. She has many names.

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
A good virus scanner (Such as Avast!) and a once over from a security tool like Spybot Search and Destroy should keep you fine; just be sure everything is up to date, blah blah blah...

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!

Moderated by  Gremelin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,888
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image