Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I was at home depot today getting more stuff so I can apply the window film to my windows and I just had to stop in the garden center.

They had mature weigela for 20 bucks so I got one. I also got three gerber daisies and one pink that was a dark purple color. I know I'm suppose to be focusing on the veggy garden but I couldn't resist.

Here is the information I found on the weigela does it sound right?

Hardiness zones: 4 to 8
Habit: Deciduous
Growth Rate: Moderate to rapid
Site Requirements: Sun to light shade; prefers well-drained soil but tolerates a range of soil types
Height: 6 to 10 feet
Width: 6 to 10 feet
Texture: Medium to coarse
Form: Spreading, dense, rounded shrub; arching branches with age
flower/Fruit: White, pink, red trumpet-shaped flowers in late spring
Foliage: Opposite, simple medium green leaves; 2 to 4.5" long; non-showy fall color
Comments: Air pollution tolerant

[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
I have to check my local HD. I need some mature shrubs for the front of the house.

I have to post a pic and get some suggestions for landscaping the front of the house.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Do you know which Weigela you got? Some of them grow to 3-6 feet. The most common, and most ornamental species is Weigela florida, a rounded to arching shrub that typically grows to 6 to 8 feet tall.

One of the best features of Weigela, is that it's user friendly. Adaptable to many soil types, it's hardy to USDA zone 4 and has no serious pest problems. It's easy to propagate, easy to grow and presents itself well in a container. In a word, it's reliable! The only requirement of this plant is that it requires full sun to produce copious flowers.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the full sun thing.

It's called and "old fashion", it has the red blooms.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I found this on a Weigela site.

Old fashioned Weigela, Weigela florida 'Variegata', is a graceful heirloom shrub with arching branches and lovely, bell-shaped blooms that attract hummingbirds as well as butterflies.

grows to about 6 foot and has a spread of 6 foot also. (Give or take a foot each way depending on the soil, climate etc.). It's hardy to zone 4, but may have some winter kill during harsh winters. It tends to grow about a foot each season, and blooms in late spring and summer. Weigela blooms best if it's located in full sun, but it will tolerate partial shade. A pruning tip-- you'll see it mentioned that it doesn't need pruning often, but if the tips are pruned it will bloom more often. As general maintenance prune one-third of the oldest wood each spring after flowering. This will help to keep the shrubs graceful shape. The soil should be well-drained, and not too dry, though it will adapt to most soils. As with many shrubs, plants and trees, your weigela should be cared for carefully when first planted, even if it has a reputation of being tough. Established weigela are very carefree, and easy to grow.

Weigela propagates easily with cuttings. One method is to take cuttings with a very sharp tool, then dip them in water and then a rooting hormone before placing in a soil-less potting mixture that you've moistened ahead of time. Place the pot in a plastic bag or plastic container that can be used as a mini-greenhouse. Place water in the bottom and close for a month and a 1/2 or so til you see new growth. Then remove and continue to grow.

Weigela is a beautiful shrub on it's own, but add in the hummingbirds that love the blooms and it's impossible to resist!

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have to agree with you there. I think they are just lovely. I'm thinking I'll use it as an anchor plant in one of the corners of the flower bed out front. It's full sun and that way the shrub will provide some shade for the hosta that is beside it. Yeah I like that idea...no maybe not the new fruit trees may shade that a bit to much. Hum, I'm going to have to think about that.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image