Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#21639 Apr 13th, 2007 at 01:00 PM
OP Offline
about a week or two ago I drained my pond refilled it. I treated it and followed all the directions but the water is cloudy and today it already looked green - what am I doing wrong?

Crystal_Rae #21978 Apr 13th, 2007 at 07:23 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
crystal, there are so many different causes, it would depend on how much plant life you have in it, how much sun, type of pond, aquatic life (fish, snails, etc) so many things. and the type of water you filled it with.

a better solution to draining and refilling it, would be to build a filter for it. there are several easy ones out there, maybe we can get cindy or donna to post the instructions here. they are alread on the garden helper. if you use the search bar, you will find lots of pond filter info!

#22017 Apr 13th, 2007 at 07:35 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I kept this for when I make one here soon! thumbup

adams filter

#22271 Apr 14th, 2007 at 03:17 AM
OP Offline
I will try this filter out - it looks easy enough - the others I have seen are complicated.

My pond sits in full sun - I have one large goldfish and one tiny one - I put about 10 bunches of Achilles (bad spelling) in but that is all so far - I think they died from the cold tho - it dropped in the 30's after being summer for two weeks. I just filled it with the hose - which is county water and treated it with all the pond stuff that was safe for plants and fish. I looked at it closer and it almost looks like it is algea again - it's driving me nuts.

Hopefully the filter will help - I'm just not sure where to get the scrubbing things.

Crystal_Rae #22375 Apr 14th, 2007 at 08:49 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you can use quilt batting too... cindy did an amazing filter, using donna's instructions... i'm going to be working on one for me soon because i want to expand my pond...

#22386 Apr 14th, 2007 at 09:07 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Full sun is bad for algae growth....mine is in full sun too, gonna see if I can have Mark build a trellis arbor over it for some shade, that way I can grow vines over it! thumbup

#23013 Apr 15th, 2007 at 06:54 AM
OP Offline
So once I get this filter going will it take care of the algea or do I have to get some more plants that will get rid of the nitrates in the water to do that? I have to have an amazing pond this year - I've put to much work into it to have it looking the way it does.

Another question I have - how do you set up to be emailed when a response is posted? I can't seem to find it.

#26138 Apr 18th, 2007 at 07:32 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
i SWEAR by the algaefix by pondcare! i will use it FOREVER!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
Crystal_Rae #26852 Apr 19th, 2007 at 03:01 PM
OP Offline
I got my filter built!! I hope it works. How long did it take you guys to see some results? I started it up at about 3 today. I plan on cleaning it out tomorrow sometime after it warms up.

Would it cause any problems if I used the filter to feed my stream part of the pond?

Crystal_Rae #27036 Apr 19th, 2007 at 09:24 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it shouldn't. the stream feeds into the pond, right?

#27084 Apr 20th, 2007 at 03:16 AM
OP Offline
Yeah - it does. I went ahead and set it up so that the filtered water does go to the water fall - it run the same as if it wasn't going through the filter. I just wanted to make sure it was ok. The filter already had nasty stuff in it last night when I had to redo it because I yanked the hose out by accident. It will be so nice if it works.

Thanks everyone for helping me with this.

Crystal_Rae #27317 Apr 20th, 2007 at 08:14 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it works. and the nasty stuff out of the filter makes great stuff to put on your flower beds.... feeds them.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image