Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
chermoni! now that is a name I have not seen in a while. good to see you back on!
And Yes, Sheri. the puppy has been staying outside. I don't need to shampoo carpets any more than necessary! haha. this little guy is already half the size of our adult labrodores and still has baby teeth! I told the kids he sleeps outside until he grows his adult chompers! then we'll go from there. the kids were calling him 'Fish' since he smelt like an old rotten fish from living in the culvert. we bathed him up and I've been calling him 'Ditchy'. Hey, what ever happened to OUR ditchy? no wonder that 'name' sounded so much like a 'name' to me for the little dog. we have a member named ditchy!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am glad my two never fight over anything. Jonni is aware of how lucky she is to have a little brother like Ted. She has seen enough of her friends' dealing with sibs.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Hi Cricket! It's good to be able to be back. Tina, you are very fortunate. The girls are twins, 13 now, they don't generally fight too much except for when it comes to sharing things. Their little brother on the other hand, they see him as life's biggest annoyance. They have a tendency to over dramatize everything. At least they aren't the violent/screaming fighting types. That's how me and my brother were, lol.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Most teen girls dramatize everything. (Some never outgrow it.) It is a difficult time. I am so glad that Jonni has turned the tide of teendom and is a much more pleasant adult (coming in August). So pleasant we bought her a car last week. That was so much fun!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
That sounds like fun! Glad she's moved on from the teen angst years, yay for being an adult! How exciting. I'm still in denial that the girls are only a year and a half away from being able to get their learners permits. nervous

Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
I know you have had some rough rows to hoe for a while.

Always about gardening?????

Where has Ditchy gotten off too?

Twin, teenage girls Cheryl. What a handful. Are you old enough to remember when the entire family had only 1 phone? And it stayed at home and the children had to give it up for the parents? How did we live like that? grin

My girls are 5 years ago so there wasn't a lot of fighting. They lived in different worlds and usually the older was nice to the little one.

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
I know you have had some rough rows to hoe for a while.

Always about gardening?????

I was more worried about using the word 'hoe' at all. It has such a different meaning these days.
I remember when being gay was just very happy and cheerful.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
know what you mean.

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I remember the one phone for the house. It was even attached to cords and had to be used in one room, unless of course you bought the really long cord to streth the cord into another room. Remember when cordless phones first came out and they had those big antenna's and you were always picking up on other peoples conversations? And one of the first cell phones was about the size of a brick, weighed almost as much too. Technology moves so fast!

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
If you spell it without the "e" then it's the bad word.

Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
A friend had something called a bag phone. He carried it around in a suitcase type thing. It was large.

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Never heard of that one. Well, I have to go put away laundry and get ready to cook dinner. My man should be home any minute now and I have a special suprise dinner planned for him. I'll be back again soon!

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Hurry back, Cheryl.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
A special surprise dinner. You're being sweet to everyone this week.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hi everybody!

Oh, what a long day it has been.

My nurse came early & then we got together and left for church at 11. The service was up in Portland at 12.

Church was over by 1:30 but my girl wasn't scheduled to come get us until 3:30 which gave us just enough time for me to get home, change and leave for dialysis.

So, Maxi and I set off from the cathedral to a small pizza/sandwich shop I used to visit when I lived in town 15 years ago. I wasn't EXACTLY sure where it was or even if it was still in business. With just a bit of error, we found it.

Maxi had a hard time pushing my chair there though because the red brick sidewalks were in bad shape. They were all hilly with frost heaves so it was also tough to ride over those, but he did it. Then I couldn't get in the place because of two steps up to the door. So I sat outside and Maxi went in and took care of our order.

On the way back to the cathedral we took a different route and the brick sidewalks were in much better condition on those streets and we had a good trip back.

We sat in the Mission San Lucas garden in a patch of bright sunlight, enjoying the breeze and having our lunch.

It was really nice sitting there listening to the sounds of traffic outside the garden walls, the distant sound of the organist practicing the Cottilion bells, and a wind chime tinkling overhead. There were two or three crocus blooming in a garden ripe with winter debris.

We met the leader of the flower Guild who was waiting for the delivery truck with all the flowers for Sunday. When the truck arrived, Maxi asked if he could help unload it? And he ended up doing the entire truck himself because the flower Guild man was an elderly fellow who seemed to have trouble walking. He ended up giving Maxi a huge Easter lily for all his efforts.

Then I got nervous because my girl didn't come on time! We waited and waited and waited. She finally got there about 40 MINUTES late! I couldn't believe it.

We had so far to go and my transit truck to dialysis would be at my house in less than 10 minutes! Then she announced she had to stop for gas!!

Boy, I was frosted!

When we pulled in our parking lot, my transit truck was still here so Maxi ran over to the driver & explained I had to go in and change and grab my bag and get him settled. The driver agreed to wait.

There was no way I was going to dialysis in velvet pants and a gold lame blouse and silver shoes!

So I dashed in the house with no time for anything and there wasn't even time to put the numbing creme on my arm. I usually put it on 1 1/2 hours before dialysis and wrap it in that Press & Seal plastic wrap so it is numb by the time I get there. Not today!

I gave my girl my shopping list & debit card; she changed the shoe on my prosthetic while I changed into a dialysis outfit & Maxi babysat her little ones out in the car. I got out of here as quickly as possible.

By the time I got all the way to dialysis, the unit was calling my house to see where I was! I was very very late and about as tense as could be! I hadn't eaten my sandwich we had bought in town and I forgot it in the rush to leave the house. I didn't get home until nearly 10 PM and hadn't eaten since breakfast.

I slept for 2 hours during dialysis and when I got home I made some coffee but I am still tired and don't plan to be up late tonight!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Gosh, what a day Merme. I'm glad the weather allowed you and Maxi to be outside. Do you know why your driver girl was so late and does she usually bring her children? Since she's being paid for her serviceit would seem she should be held accountable for something and not bring her children. But, that said, you did have a good time with Maxi and that's worth everything.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
She has never brought her three kids *all under 5* with her before. And the reason she was late was "traffic". My point is "When you are scheduled to be at work at a specific time, you leave early enough to allow for traffic so you are not late!" Then I was really ticked off when I got home and she had NOT done two big chores she had promised to do! She hadn't changed the loads in the washer OR scoured out the big pot she burned all the potatoes in. It is still sitting in my sink and will sit there until Monday. I am irked about that because she made a huge mess in that pot and it is still sitting here.

But yes, my time with Maxi was GREAT!!!!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Originally Posted by chermoni
I remember the one phone for the house. It was even attached to cords and had to be used in one room, unless of course you bought the really long cord to streth the cord into another room. Remember when cordless phones first came out and they had those big antenna's and you were always picking up on other peoples conversations? And one of the first cell phones was about the size of a brick, weighed almost as much too. Technology moves so fast!
You know, this was a huge grype when I first signed up for VoIP (internet based telephone), one phone port... So I bought a bunch of adapters... Then I bought my cordless phone (Uniden) which has additional handsets and only requires one phone port for my 4 cordless phones and I can have chargers in every room....

I often think about how technology has advanced in just a short timeframe, and wonder what will come of just the next couple of years...

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Your Uniden will be obsolete. But thats OK. It will be broken due to planned self destruction anyway.
I still have a rotary dial phone direct wired to my kitchen wall. It worked when we had no electricity for a few weeks after a major fire. It stays.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Well, I was trying to stay up late just 'cause it's Friday. But that is not going to happen. Tomorrow is another day. Good night all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Safe away home O my palies and sweet dreams to you all.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I made such a good dinner tonight. I made grilled steak, sauteed mushrooms, my special asparagus, grilled shrimp, and fettucini alfredo with roasted garlic sauce for my boyfriend. For me I baked a piece of cod with some aspargus and had some of the shrimp I grilled. Good thing I hadn't planned on anything else because I had every burner going plus the oven and the electric skillet. My small kitchen can barely handle me. haha At least I haven't had a fire in a couple months now, did you know that dry rice is flammable? Found that one out a while ago.

Good night Merme, sorry I missed you and sweet dreams!

I'm happy that all of my cards are finding their homes. I was never able to mail out christmas cards as planned due to financial problems and I loved all the cards I received from all of you here. Things are shaping up around here and I thought that happy spring cards would be a nice suprise and lift peoples spirits after the winters we've all endured.

I'm on vacation all next week! I'm so happy to take a break from work. I have so many things planned out to do this next week. I want to catch up on unfinished sewing projects, I want to clean up my garden it looks terrible, I want to clean out the garage and do some general spring cleaning around the house, it needs it. Why would I have so much "work" planned for my vacation, you ask? Because I'm quitting smoking! I started taking chantix last sunday and this sunday is my last day (hopefully) as a smoker. I wanted to make sure that I could keep myself busy all week so I wouldn't think too much about smoking.

It's late so I should probably think about going to bed as well but this cup of coffee sitting next to me is telling me it's going to be a while yet, so I'll go read my book. See you all again soon!

Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Merme, isn't this the job of this woman? She gets paid right? I'm with you. When I drive to work I have to leave early enough to allow for the traffic. If I'm early I'm early but I can not be late. She is taking advantage of your good nature.

Cheryl, that WAS a special meal. Hope your boyfriend was smiling as he ate that great food. That's like going to a wonderful restaurant!

Do you work for the school system? I've been off work too and had planned to do some much needed yard work and it's rained every day. That's life.

Good for you stopping smoking. You can do it.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Good morning everybody!

It started raining here at 2 AM and it is still going strong. It is supposed to be clear for Easter but you can't tell that by looking out there now. I hope it is, because of all the sunrise services planned.

I'm off to make coffee and see what Mr. Maxi wants for breakfast.

Still a little tired here, so it is going to be a slow day.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Good Morning Merme
Just stopping in for a minute or two,, I've been outside since sunrise,, Working in the yard,,,,,,,, Taking a coffee break right now then back out I go
soooooooo What's for Breakfast?? notme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
#273571 Apr 11th, 2009 at 07:10 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am sorry that Brennan has an earache. That bites. Not a fun way to spend a holiday at all.
I slept in a little. That feels so good. I am on my first cup.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
#273574 Apr 11th, 2009 at 07:35 AM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Afgrey I am sorry to hear of Brennan's sore ear.

When I was a kid there was a pharmacuetical grade "oil of ________" parents could buy for earaches. They'd warm it up and put it in the ear. I do not remember the exact name of it. I doubt you could easily find it in today's pharmacy's which are no longer chemist shops.

Heat sometimes help to relieve the pain. Could he settle with a hot pad for a while?

The Vicks was a good idea. You are smart for not wanting to put anything in the ear the doc doesn't okay.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#273578 Apr 11th, 2009 at 07:51 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Good morning

My mom always wanted to put warmed up oil in my aching ear - I had a LOT of ear aches as a child - still get them from time to time, including 3 ruptured eardrums. My son has had 5 ruptured eardrums - ouchie!

The thing I did not like about the oil was the very loud crackling sounds when it was working - it bothered me more than the ear aches themselves. Heating pads usually ended up burning my outer ear - not fun, so I didn't do those too often either. Antibiotics were what finally took the pain away.

I hope Brennan starts to feel much better soon Cindy.

It's a rainy day here today too - I REALLLLLY need to clean out Amy's fish tank so I guess that's my plan for today.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes, Afgrey, I thought you had one of those rice packs for the microwave. My mom used an iron wrapped in a towel also because my sisters always had terrible earaches. I just got "swimmer's ear" until we learned how to prevent them.

Maxi only had one earache when he was a baby and it was pretty bad. The doc gave me drops to ease his pain so he could bear to lay his head down to sleep. The doc told me the pressure on the inner ear was too much if his head was in the lowered position and that's why it hurt so. With the drops, he could sleep which gave the antibiotics a chance to work.

I'm really sorry Brennan is so uncomfortable today.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Lynne I don't envy you your job cleaning Amy's tank today! What a potentially messy wet job on a rainy day! br-r-r-r! It's making me cold just to think about it!

Maxi and I got to laughing this morning. He watched the comedy DVD I got him "The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming". Since he was only born in 1995, he doesn't really understand much about the Cold War, so I put this silly movie in context of the era (1966). I also told him about getting under the school desks as part of a bomb drill. He laughed.... what would a desk do for you, Mom?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I often wondered what a desk would do for us also, Merme!
I hated those drills!

Yes, it is cold in the house, and working with so much water is not going to be fun - I just put on an old sweatshirt and am about to begin. If I don't start now, it will just be put off for another while, and Amy might be coming home for tomorrow night, so I'd like it to be clean finally.

See ya later...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Ted has deformed ear canals. That is something most Down syndrome people do have. They get many ear infections and often have tubes inserted to help with fluid drainage. Ted has had one ear infection in his life and that one snuck in on me behind the flu.
An allergist, many years ago when my first set of kids were small in the mid-70's, told me to give them Dimetapp immediately that they got any small runny nose. It liquifies the mucus and allows for easier drainage. Back then Dimetapp and Dimetane (same thing) were still prescription only meds. Now it is over the counter. My kids have never suffered ear infections or earaches since except that one time. It works for me also.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I'm glad you at least have something warm to wear that it is okay to get wet which also still allows you to move your arms, Lynne. Hopefully you won't get a chill by the time you are done.

I am very disappointed. I had put "Hot Cross Buns" on my grocery list yesterday and trusted my girl to procure them for us. When I got home, there weren't any in the house. I asked Maxi about it because he had been at the store with her & he said they'd asked for them at Hannaford & were told that ALL the Hannaford stores in Maine were completely out of Hot Cross Buns. So I said "So she didn't go down the street to buy them at Shaws?!" I guess we will be the only people in all of Christendom who will not be having Hot Cross Buns tomorrow.

Maxi and I are doing the laundry she was supposed to do yesterday. I put the clothes in the washer and he moves the load to the dryer. He takes them out of the dryer and I fold them & he puts them away or puts them back in his suitcase. Like Jiffy always says, Maxi and I are a good team.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yup, Tina, I agree. Prevention iw worth a millionfold all the remedies in the world whenever possible! That's why I was so glad to learn how to prevent swimmer's ear when I was a kid.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Good morning everyone! Got my coffee made and am getting ready to make breakfast in a bit. Kind of dreary day here today, but that's most days this time of year. At least it's not too cold.

1k Posts
1k Posts
You can make hot cross buns at home.I have a recipe for them.

Waiting for fall...
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Please PM me your recipe for Hot Cross Buns, Enrique. Thank you!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Ted has deformed ear canals. That is something most Down syndrome people do have. They get many ear infections and often have tubes inserted to help with fluid drainage. Ted has had one ear infection in his life and that one snuck in on me behind the flu.
An allergist, many years ago when my first set of kids were small in the mid-70's, told me to give them Dimetapp immediately that they got any small runny nose. It liquifies the mucus and allows for easier drainage. Back then Dimetapp and Dimetane (same thing) were still prescription only meds. Now it is over the counter. My kids have never suffered ear infections or earaches since except that one time. It works for me also.

my dr said the same thing for my kids back in the 80's and I had a standing prescription at my pharmacy--Valarie especially was always having major ear infections.Luckily she never had to have tubes put in. and yes the Dimetapp worked wonders. It is my opinion that when it came out over-the-counter it was not as effective. But was and is still a good product none the less.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
Yup, Tina, I agree. Prevention iw worth a millionfold all the remedies in the world whenever possible! That's why I was so glad to learn how to prevent swimmer's ear when I was a kid.

Merme

I should have been more clear. Most of the pain from an ear thing is pressure from fluid that won't drain. Even after you have an ear infection or pressure pain begun the Dimetapp still works to make the fluid more runny so it can drain. So If you take it after you already have pain it helps by relieving the source of pain. It is also OK to take along with an antibiotic too. But it is not good to take with some asthma meds. They may counteract each other and neither will work so ask a Dr.
I went out shopping. Got food for a day or two. Now i need to get a jump start on the laundry. I have a couple of beds to strip down. And some cooking to do of course.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
My phone is ringing off the hook and Maxi wants my attention! I want to stay in the Game Room and play games! boohoo

Gotta go for now. In a bit we will do our eggs.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image