Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#259089 Jan 25th, 2009 at 06:25 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
While digging up the soil, for adding compost and such for my soon-to-be-new garden (I am a newbie!) I saw a million ants! So.. (I realize this may be a dumb question, sorry) can ants hurt my garden or are they just another part of nature?? If they are a problem, what do I do? Oh, and I would really like to take care of them naturally...
Thank you so much..

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #259097 Jan 25th, 2009 at 06:35 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Ants can hurt your garden. I'm not too sure what 'natural' thing you want to do to get rid of them .If you can find their main underground trails you can pour boiling water on them. That is the most natural thing i know of.
I am a fan of boric acid myself, A dry powder that you put down and it basically poisons them. But it does need to stay dry in order for it to work. Maybe someone else will have better advice for you.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #259111 Jan 25th, 2009 at 07:36 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Tina!
I read on here that cornmeal would work, too... I was jsut wondering if it was necessary.. I don't relaly like killing things..

[Linked Image]

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #259117 Jan 25th, 2009 at 08:11 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The first thing ants will do is object to you using 'their' space and bite to get rid of you. Then they will run off with any seeds you try to plant. Then when you do have plants they may use your plants to 'farm' their pet aphids out on. They then milk the aphids for their honeydew for their own food. Then when your fruits or veggies ripen they can cause havoc to the fruit or vegetable itself in the search for more food. All or any of this depends on the type of ants you may have.
I try not to think of "A Bug's life" or "Ants" when I set out to rid myself of them. Quite a few of the varieties we have have been artificially introduced to our country and are not a kindly addition to our eco-system. I have a hard time telling ants from some types of termites. You do not want termites making an appetizer out of your wooden fence and then making a main course out of your home.
I had forgotten about the cornmeal thing, Thank you.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #259161 Jan 26th, 2009 at 09:02 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I use a mixture of liquid soap, like dish detergent or shampoo mixed with water. It kills ants INSTANTLY! You can pour it in a spray bottle and spray it on the ants and they die instantly. and best of all, IT'S NON-TOXIC! You have to spray them again once it dries because the water-soap solution has to be wet to work. But you can make a bucket of the soapy solution and pour it in the uncovered nest to kill a HUGE part of the nest.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #259165 Jan 26th, 2009 at 09:28 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I use garlic. I get a bottle of chopped garlic from the dollar store, it's pretty cheap. I don't believe garlic kills them but rather kills the fungus the ants are after in the first place. just add a spoon full or two to the nest. it works better for me if I get it under the soil a bit. (but you gotta be quick so you don't get eaten up.) and you may need to add the garlic every 2-3 days for about a week, but they'll move on out.
some ants in your garden is ok. their main diet is a type of fungus, so they are helping you out and bringing balance into your garden. but a huge nest of ants are bad news.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #259180 Jan 26th, 2009 at 10:09 AM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys! THe good things is the black out here (CA) don't bite.... I am from AR so I know how bad the bites can be!!!

Jonni13- That sounds bad! Thanks so much for the info, I will try to deep the movies out of my head, LOL!

Thornius- how much soap and how much water?

Cricket- I like the garlic idea... maybe that would work for long lasting control?? Do you think the fungus is in the hill, or did you mean on the wood (the hill is near the wood)?

Thanks again guys, you are the best!!!

[Linked Image]

Eva #259248 Jan 26th, 2009 at 04:18 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Eva

Cricket- I like the garlic idea... maybe that would work for long lasting control?? Do you think the fungus is in the hill, or did you mean on the wood (the hill is near the wood)?

hill.....wood....???? I put the garlic in the ant nest (ant hill).

try diff things eva. see what works best for you.

I don't think there is a specific formula to Thorny's dish soap reciepe.

best of luck!

Cricket

cricket #259284 Jan 26th, 2009 at 05:39 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I use cornmeal a lot for ants,, It works!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #259337 Jan 26th, 2009 at 11:01 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
About 1/3 soap to 2/3 water should do it.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #259338 Jan 27th, 2009 at 12:00 AM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Thornius- You are a life saver!!!

I can't even begin to thank each of you for all of the help! YOu guys are the best!!! What a blessing! grin

Oh, and on a funny newbie-note; I spent about 3 hours on different parts of this sight reading... and today I sat down with my books and studied for about 4 hours zoink!!! Let's just say if this was a test I would pass haha! LOL! Now let's hope I pass in the really world! Lord, please help my little garden grow prayers.

[Linked Image]

Eva #259560 Jan 28th, 2009 at 06:35 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Be careful, Eva or you'll get hooked on this gardening stuff as much as we are! he he

Cricket

cricket #260044 Jan 30th, 2009 at 05:35 PM
Any why are ants bad? I know in the south fire ants are an issue and granted some will farm a few insect pest but for the most part they are beneficial in the soil. They provide aeration in the soil as well as prey on other insects.

I let them be...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
cricket #270581 Mar 24th, 2009 at 02:52 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by cricket
Be careful, Eva or you'll get hooked on this gardening stuff as much as we are! he he

LOL! Too late! I am in love with it!!! I would be so lost without you guys! Thanks so much!

[Linked Image]

Eva #270848 Mar 26th, 2009 at 09:56 AM
The reason the ants are bad for the yard/garden is they want to move into the house when it gets wet or cold in the fall. Ewwwwwwwww.

I use cornmeal on and around all hills/nests I see.

atokadawn #270871 Mar 26th, 2009 at 04:23 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by atokadawn

I use cornmeal on and around all hills/nests I see.

Glad someone else does besides me! It works good !

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #270946 Mar 27th, 2009 at 08:53 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
I suppose every creature has a purpose but for the life of me I can't figure out what they all are.

I don't like ants because they bite and it hurts. We have red ants in our yard and if we don't get them quickly they will build mounds that engulf plants like snapdragons and crocus. And they've hurt small animals in our area. We kill them if we can.

Bestofour #273122 Apr 9th, 2009 at 05:41 AM
basically not. it's all natural. ants are also a part of the whole planting process. they look for food but not that destructive. You see, once their hide-out place got disturbed, they'd look for another place.

kyle82 #274707 Apr 16th, 2009 at 09:23 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Where you have ants you may also see aphids later on. I had hundreds of ants in my greenhouse last year and just like some of you say why worry about ants so I just washed them off of the walkways and thought nothing of it. Well during the summer I had a bad deal with aphids and was told that the ants are a helpmate to the aphids.

So this year I sprayed my greenhouse with a garlic solution and once the ants come I will continue to use the garlic. They say it's perfectly safe on the plants too. If I see too many ants I will not hesitate to use cornmeal as well.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image