#273822 Apr 12th, 2009 at 05:06 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi all,

I have my first landscaping problem.

I bought peacock lilies and dahlias yesterday and I'm not sure where to put them.

My garden is a downward sloping 5 thousand square foot area. I hope when I'm finished 9 years down the road that I will have a specimen garden with little paths of lawn and moss as light permits between the different plantings.

Right now I have semi=dwarf fruit trees up the driveway. I have a centerbed of four trees that is entirely planted underneath. I have a thrift and something else planted by the mailbox. (I can't believe I forgot what else is planted out there.) I have sedum and ditchlilies planted along the ditch. I have a foundation bed full of different bulbs. And I have a sidewalk bed filled with various plants.

I do have a fence along the street that I haven't done anything with. And I have a bed on the far side of the drive that has a cedar in it that I am keeping and then some other trees that I'm going to cut down and then some brush in it right now. I also have a bench located on the shady side of the tree bed. It has moss underneath it and I was thinking of a mass planting of the peacock lilies on either side of that.

Please help me decide where to plant my new plants.

[Linked Image]
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
My game plan is "when in doubt put it in a pot". If you aren't sure that you want to mass plant the lilies next to the bench, then put them in a good sized pot and place the pot next to the bench. Then if you don't like it there after this year, they are all in one easy to get to place. :)

For part of my garden, I'm going to make a pot garden. Everything in lots of pots. :)

Here is the source of my inspiration...
http://www.wildgingerfarm.com/ContainerGarden.htm

Last edited by hisgal2; Apr 12th, 2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: found the link I was looking for

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
TK are these peacock lillies?

[Linked Image]

if so, looks like they get pretty thick. Will you have to be constantly thinning in that particular area?

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I miss wrote the plant name they are peacock orchids. But I love the plants that you found. I'm going to have to research those. I've love a planting that was that thick. And the blooms are so unusual.

I love the idea of having plants that reproduce lots. I guess that's because I have sooooo much room to work with. my tulips, daffodils, glads, and peacock orchids are all just starting amounts now but I'm looking forward to year three when I can divide them the first time.

And I'm looking forward to starting the Hollyhocks this year so I'll have some blooming and some just green. I hope to keep the full cycle going on those. I think. I have pink and black Hollyhocks which I think are going to be a really amazing combination.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I found some info on the orchids.

Plant in clusters of 5-7 for best show. In the spring, Corms should be planted three inches deep and six inches apart. This plant requires a long growing season (up to 20 weeks) and should be started indoors 1 month before the last frost in northern zones. Water regularly while in bloom and cover plants with mulch if frost arrives during flowering. In the fall, bulbs can be left in the ground to spread or lifted, cleaned and stored in sand at 60ยบ F for winter (zones 6 and north should always lift bulbs). Corms need to be dried quickly to avoid soft rot. The small bulblets that form around the main corm can also be separated and replanted.

Interesting Facts: The peacock orchid is related to the gladiolus, not orchids.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That's really interesting information. I planted mine all in a cluster. So there are 16 of them. I'll separate them this fall and do two plantings one at either end of the bench. Thankyou for looking that up for me.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
wonder how fast they'll multiply.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well they are said to multiply fast so maybe they will double every year. That would be way cool.

It looks like another sunny day out there so I may be getting out there soon.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image