Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#276365 Apr 23rd, 2009 at 08:39 PM
inkie Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a beautiful indoor Gardenia plant that is about to bloom. But I discovered aphids about a month ago. I did treat it with a solution of Murphey's Oil, Baking soda and water. But they keep coming back and my plant is covered. I am now spraying every 3-4 days. It is hard for me to tell if the aphids are alive or not now.

Should I just keep on doing what I'm doing and anyone know for how long? Is there a way to clean off the dead aphids--maybe with a spray bottle of water? What would you suggest?

inkie #276367 Apr 23rd, 2009 at 09:11 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Hi, Inky. I'm not sure where you are or what temps you have outside. But you can take your plant out and give it a very good shower with a moderately heavy spray. Protect your soil with plastic wrap as much as possible. Lay your plant on its side and spray top and bottom of all of the leaves. As well as the branches and twigs. Let it dry out in the air a while and get a fresh breath before bringing it back indoors. Or if you have a suitable place for it you can let it summer outside.
Now if you live in an apartment without access to an outside water source, you can try something similar in your own shower too.
And if all of that is not possible you can wash those little things off using a soft cloth whether they are living or dead.
I have never heard of the Murphey's mix. I use just a few drops of dish detergent and water for spraying aphids.
Please let us know the results.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #276398 Apr 24th, 2009 at 05:42 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I use jonni's method, too-- hosing and spraying with water+dish soap. And I know this sounds gross, but you can smush 'em with your fingers, and then hose the plant off.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #276444 Apr 24th, 2009 at 11:31 AM
inkie Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the ideas--It is not even 60 degrees out so I'm a little reluctant to take my plant outside, maybe this afternoon since it is sunny, it won't be so bad on the plant. Even if I lose this years buds, I don't mind, I just want to save the poor plant. I really like that idea of washing these nasty pests off.

I got this recipe using Murphy's Oil Soap from a gardeners book. but I like the idea of just using dish soap--didn't know I could do that :)

I checked my plant again this morning and found some LIVE aphids--and my plant is covered with those nasty critters!! So along about 3 this afternoon, I'm going to take my plant outside and spray them off.

Wow--thanks SO much for the good ideas!!

inkie #276463 Apr 24th, 2009 at 02:18 PM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Good luck!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
inkie #276464 Apr 24th, 2009 at 02:18 PM
inkie Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I did the spray job you talked about jonni13--thanks again for the idea. It took me a good 30 minutes or more to clean the aphids off my gardenia plant. Now that I've got them cleaned off, I made a water/soap spray solution and on Sunday I will spray it down good.

Unfortunately I had to put it back in the sunroom where it was. So this means there are probably aphids all over in there. Disgusting...

I must have about 35 buds, some large, some smaller on my plant. I don't know what will happen now that I've given it a good spraying off but it sure looks better. I live in Washington State on the East side which is warmer and dryer than the west side. The aphids like the cooler weather and we've had a cooler spring than normal. Hopefully it will start getting hot and I can put my plant outside in the sunshine.

Oh and Marica--I took your advice too..lol. I did smash as many of those aphids I could with my bare hands while I was washing the plant down.

Wish me good luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image