Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#279978 May 13th, 2009 at 01:55 AM
OP Offline
Hi all

Last summer we were invaded by the 17 year locusts. We've lived here in this area for almoswt 17 years and have never experienced this. As soon as the sun would come up, you could hear them, and they would stop when the sun went down. They attacked my fruit trees, which I had just planted earlier in the spring. The attacked my new pin oak (new house, thus the new plants). Trees have survived the winter, but the poor things look like sticks. My husband has cut off all of the dead wood. They are so far behind it isnt' even funny. The apple trees are TRYING to push out green buds, and the peach trees have some leaves and are trying to push out more. They are WAY behind any extablished fruit tree that is in the neighborhood. I am wondering if they will never recover and if I should just dig them out and start over. Anybody else have a similar experience? What did you do?

Carol in central Pa.

flowergirlcfc #280077 May 13th, 2009 at 11:28 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
yeah, the locusts can be devastating!! thank goodness they aren't around EVERY year!!!

i'd leave the trees be for the moment, most of them will recuperate. by mid-summer, if any haven't bounced back, then you can remove them and get replacements planted - they'll have enough time to get situated before the cold weather comes back in the fall.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image