Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#283193 May 30th, 2009 at 01:25 PM
OP Offline
I have this tree (or what was a tree) in front of my family room window. It is located inside my "decorative landscape" against my house.

I am thinking the previous owner screwed up when they purchased it because it grows to be 20' by 20'. this is planted MAYBE 2'- 3' feet from my house.

what peaked my attention is that he cut it off at the base, leaving the stump. It had grown back around the stump and I didnt realize this until I went to trim it today. At first I was going to try and figure out how to reshape it but ther is NO WAY I can contain a 20' tree infront of my house.

no I know it has been there longer than 5 years as that is how long we have lived here. would it be possible to dig it up and replant it elsewear or any ideas as to how to control the way it looks at least?

there is no way i can think of they would have to grind the stump out only god knows where those roots go get a nice new tree u n ur family can watch grow

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
maples will grow back from the roots repeatedly. your best bet is to dig up what you can, if you want to, plant some else where, and then keep the one in front of your house cut down to the ground. all the time. totally deprive it of green.

you can also paint on some type of weedkiller (my mind is not giving me the name right now) that will slow the growth to give you time to get it all out of there.

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
It would actually be possible to train it to one central leader, you'd have to repeatedly cut away unwanted growth. You could dig out the stump fairly easily if it's less than, say, 4 inches across...jiffy is correct that persistantly cutting off foliage will eventually kill the stump, but if you want a chemical solution to your problem, Ortho and many other companies sell Brush and weed Killer, Stump Killer, etc. Don't waste your time with the "stump rot" or "stump remover" products that require drilling holes, if you read the directions thouroughly, you'll notice that the ultimate goal is to make the wood rot enough that it will burn...not a good idea that close to the house!

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image