Rate Thread
#287405 Jun 27th, 2009 at 01:27 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Ok, the night before last Ditchy chewed a couple of branches on my ficus tree. We had a talk, and I thought he understood not to bother it anymore. this morning he had yanked off a couple more branches and broke most all of the top of the tree branches off. I'm thinking my only hope is to clean up the breaks with nice clean cuts and take whatever cuttings I can from it. I know it's not the best time to take cuttings, being 100 degrees and the dead of summer and all, but I really want to save some of this tree. it's from my dad's funeral.

I've never been able to root a woody plant/tree successfully. I can root regular plants all day long. piece of cake.

So, my question is what makes rooting a hardwood different than rooting a plant? is there a different technique, or is it just simply harder to do?

Or any other sugguestions would be greatly appreciated too.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
oh, and I could post a pic if necessary.

Cricket

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
cricket, as long as it is treated like nothing ever happened (watered, etc) a ficus can take serious hard pruning.

and, i usually just stick the cuttings down in the pot with the main plant. they root fine for me.

i've got one from my son in law's funeral that lives in spite of me! (it's outside right now.)

#287423 Jun 27th, 2009 at 03:47 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
ok, jiff! sticking the cuttings into the soil of the main plant is about my only option anyway. I've been searching for soil left over from the ....uuuhhhh...plant cemetary.... but that 'soil' looks like dirt to me.

do you think I should clean up the 'breaks' with nice clean cuts? or just leave be? I noticed the little fart broke off at least a third of the top part of the tree. (it's 5-6 feet tall...if that matters)

Cricket

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'd make clean cuts. at an angle if you can.

#287471 Jun 28th, 2009 at 01:50 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
i'd make clean cuts. at an angle if you can.

That can be important, have the spot prepared, make the cut and plant.
The original plant should survive as is, if you need, you can cut it back hard.
I'm curious, though, are we talkinf ficus benjamina or another indoor plant, or an outdoor fig?

dave
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I just realized I said, plant, I should have said put the stem in water. It should form roots in a short time. You coul plant it, but you would have to be very dilligent about keeping consistent moisture.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image