Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Jiffy lol

You sound like me and I live IN a town! But the entrance to our complex is off a winding country-like road and there is no signage out front or street numbers so NOBODY can find the place! I always tell people we are 1/2 a mile from the start of the road; just past the little Pentecostal church's woods, turn left. That's us! Because... if you drive along looking for street numbers you won't find a thing!

PLUS, and if no-numbers isn't bad enough, nobody can seem to agree what color our buildings are. They get described as gray, yellow, tan or brown. I just think of them as A Neutral Version Of An Architect's Vision.... greyish yellowish tanish brown sorta.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Well this city gal will stay out of the country for now... though I do like to visit it... we went and got all our pool equipment- even a solar blanket to help it heat u- then got home got it in and it is now raining and cloudy... figures! the little thermometer I got said it is 75* in the pool today so we will see if it warms up a lot tomorrow...
I cleaned Mom's room and bathroom and just about died- it was so hot in the house - finally turned the water off on the cooler just let the fan blow- it's cooler outside than in right now... now I have to fold some laundry and I am done for the day I think... we are eating leftovers from last night's bbq so not cooking tonight... can't believe it's almost 7 oclock already here.
I posted my desk pics for you all to check out too...
Nana

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
We live 2.8 miles from Hill Top at the top of Bunker Hill. Gotta know where Hill Top is to get here.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Y'all are making me homesick for a home I haven't found yet!!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Marica, did you ever tell us how to pronounce your name?

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Yes... way back in the last coffee house.

Here it is...

It's pronounced: ma-ree-sha (accent on the second syllable; like Marie + sha)

The story: Mom came over to the states from Germany when she was 19. When she & Dad married in 1958-- had me a respectable 9 1/2 months later!-- she wanted to make the name "Marikka" sound more American. (Marikka is a common name in many eastern European countries. It's pronounced ma-ree-ka. In fact, many folks I know from Europe see my spelling & automatically call me Marikka.) Anyway, she "softened" the two k's with a 'c', not appreciating how common the name "Marcia" was in the states.

And if I may ask-- where does "Bestofour" come from?

Last edited by Marica; Jul 12th, 2009 at 07:00 PM.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Thanks. I remembered the question but never saw the answer.

Bestofour is because I have 3 sisters and I'm the best. bow Bestoffour (with 2 f's was already taken as a screen name if you can believe that). One of my sisters is fairestofour. We had a thread a few years ago explaining our screen names. Maybe we should do that again.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I think that would be fun, sheri---
and here I always thought you were best-o-four because you had a DH and 2 kids--& you were the best----sorry blush

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
My screen name was a newbie accident. I wanted to be Tina but got confused with the registration and log in name and screen name.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
I think that would be fun, sheri---
and here I always thought you were best-o-four because you had a DH and 2 kids--& you were the best----sorry blush

that too. :wink:

Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
My head has been hurting for a month. I can't get it to stop. I went to the chiropractor yesterday but it didn't help. I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm going to lay down.l

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I thought so!!!! bow lol

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am sorry, Sheri. I hope you get a fix for it soon.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
My head has been hurting for a month. I can't get it to stop. I went to the chiropractor yesterday but it didn't help. I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm going to lay down.l

oh my I am so sorry----how is your Blood pressure???

and I hope you feel better soon

________

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
My screen name was a newbie accident.

I feel for ya, Tina! That's how I got stuck w/ my silly email address. Someone else had put it together for me to send me an invite and as soon as I saw it, I knew I would change it. So, I clicked on "continue" thinking they'd give me the option to change it on the next page. Nope! That had been my one and only chance. And gmail doesn't allow people to change their addresses. sigh. So, I'm bashful whenever I have to tell anyone my email address.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I'd love to see how everyone chose their screen names.

When things settle down, I'm going to finally make a chart where I match screen names to real names. That was confusing when I first joined. Someone would say, "I agree with Sheri" and I'd go... huh? Who's Sheri? What did she say?

[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, I was very confused at first too, Marica. But a lot of places the common names are already used so screen names are necessary. It does come with time. And I got to looking at people's buttons or signatures for real names. I am dreadful at names in real life much less people whom I haven't met in person.
I woke with a headache early this morning. But it is passing with some fresh air and aspirin. So I am set up for my day now.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
I'd love to see how everyone chose their screen names.

When things settle down, I'm going to finally make a chart where I match screen names to real names. That was confusing when I first joined. Someone would say, "I agree with Sheri" and I'd go... huh? Who's Sheri? What did she say?

And Nana's name is Sherri (I think with 2 r's) so it's more confusing. We don't have another Marica though flwr

Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Merme, I had to go and look at your gmail address because I didn't remember it being silly. After refreshing my memory I still don't think it's silly. It definitely says who you are. thumbup

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi all,
WEll the pool collapsed last night- so we are getting more dirt to level it out properly going to get the 2 older grands here to help... hopefully it will work right this time and go smoothly.... not a very happy nana at the moment.
Yes Marica I am Sherri with 2 r's... and I am Nana because I have 17 grandkids... should make that easy to remember... sure is for me.. LOL!
off to go get the boy... more dirt hauling.
Nana

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Good morning.Yesterday I harvested cantaloupe from my garden.It was even sweeter than store bought cantaloupe. I also harvested several tomatoes.

Waiting for fall...
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Sounds really good to me... love canteloupe.... when we lived in Yuma yrs ago they had lots of canteloupe fields ... now it's all housing and mini malls... so sad..
Nana

[Linked Image]
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
We need another load of dirt to make it level- Joseph is helping hubby and they are using a level and a long board to make it level all the way across... boy this pool better feel good after all this.
It is 82* already today... so hope we can get it done fairly quickly today... Joe is supposed to go to PT at 3 today...
Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I hope it works for you this time, Nana. And I hope nothing important was destroyed in the flood.
I am home for a little bit before I need to go get my boy from school. I took my car in for a well-baby check up today and I am pretty pleased with it over all. And my mechanic is right next to a Home Depot and I had an hour to kill. I needed bar oil for the chain saws so a little cruise through the plants to go with is a must. So I had a relaxed happy morning.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Well we have enough dirt.. but now it is pouring down rain and hail- got the tarp over the place for the pool so it won't end up a pile of mud... I may get a pool up in time to iceskate on it...LOL!
Tina I hope you enjoy your nice quiet relaxing day... wiish I could send you some rain too... we have plenty right now.
Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
More rain would be nice. We are over 10 inches under our norm. But this year is supposed to be an El Nino year and I may end up calling for a life preserver if we get too much. I am trying to be careful what I wish for.
I am in for the day, I think. I will nap pretty soon. It is hot out. About a hundred.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
hello, everyone!
we are well below our yearly rainfall here too. don't know how much but I'd be willing to bet at least 10 inches shy here too.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
7:30 & the guys-- contractors-- are still here. John, Suzy (15 year old dog) & I can't wait to be by ourselves. I will say, he said he'd be done today & he'll be done today. Might be 10pm, but he'll be done.

-10" is a lot of missing rain. When weird things happen... droughts, etc.... I like to go look at the long-term records. Doesn't change today, but it makes me feel better to know that things have been worse! The only time this strategy didn't work was when a "500 year flood plain" got flooded back when we lived in eastern NC.

In other news, John is cooking a new jambalya (sp?) recipe this evening. But what with painting & all, it won't be ready until after 9.

Nana-- Do you have a truck? How about just lining the bed of the truck with a tarp? The classic "Redneck" pool. We've been thinking about doing this, just to see if it really works.

So basically I am sitting here just jabbering. Hope you all don't mind. It's been a long day. There was an "incident" at Home Depot when we went to return some unused stuff that we'd been told we could, and buy some more stuff that we needed to finish up. I won. I am so old fashioned. My dad taught me that the customer is always right. Sure, some aren't but hey, most are.

Enough jibberish. Thanks for listening.

[Linked Image]

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi Marica,
I would almost try the truck and tarp idea..but don't think my neighbors would like it much... sun is out again but we deceided to wait till morning to finish it up, Joseph will come over in the morning and help us level it and set it up... the three of us can do it I am sure.
Joe had a good visit with the PT people..she told him his problem probably started with him appendectomy -- since it was an emergecy one and it burst they cut it big and a lot of muscle evidently- so it weakened his musclest that hold his back straight .. she gave him a bunch of exercises to do and he needs to get better arch support shoes too.
We always take stuff back to the depot and then spend that money on more stuff ..never had a problem with them ever... but I guess more stores are changing policies with the economy problems... I am with you though- if they say they will take it back unused they better do it.
I am off now to go cook some fish .... make a salad and then just crash and rest for the rest of the night.
Nana

[Linked Image]
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Well we are FIVE INCHES OVER the normal rainfall for this time of year. We can swim without going to a pool! lol

A long-lost cousin just called me from NJ. He is planning a big shindig for his folks who will be married 65 years come October. Although I won't be able to attend, I promised to rally my branch of the family for it. His folks are our last surviving of that generation on my mom's side. He is going to rig a web cam for the event so I'll be able to see it anyway!! thumbup

Hope the PT helps Joe in the long run, Nana! You need good belly muscles for good posture & a healthy back. My PT is always going on & on about "core strength" (in the torso).

Marcia it will be nice to have all that work finished. I'm glad for you.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I keep looking at the title of this CH and think about how I hide from the summer heat. Summer is not as fun now that I am old as it was when I was a kid. But I am still working on getting some things done early or late in the daylight.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Good Evening ,,,
Joe feels a lot better now- he even cooked hotdogs for us and cleaned up the kitchen, Tina in AZ we did all our yard stuff either early or very late..was the only way to get it done in over 100* every day... at least here it cools off in the evenings and mornings are almost always nice too.
I am headed for bed soon- we plan to get up early and do the pool- will go get Joseph to help.. then we have errands to run to get stuff for our trip and for Mom to have while we are gone, on Sat on our way back home my son and his wife are having a party for her daughter's 13th birthday... it's a suprise party for her cause her birthday was the 4th,, she was with her Dad then so this will be a real suprise for her. Teresa is going to stay here with Mom for us since my sis didn't do a very good job last time.
Have a good evening all.
Nana

[Linked Image]
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Good morning!

I have a busy day today w/ errands and shopping, so I'll be back later.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Morning Ladies! Checking in on this gorgeous Tue morning!
You know this to me had been the perfect summer in Michigan, OK so we got a new air conditioner and we have used it twice. LOL But cool nights and mornings and warm sunny days , no humidity is the ultimate, You can garden all day.~ I LOVE it~
Sheri, Get thee to a Doctor. Not good to have a constant headache, Heres a few ideas.. Glasses? how are your eyes? Cafeine? too much? Cut out all processed foods, they all contain MSG and some folks have an allergic reaction, ie headaches. Teeth grinding at night? Probably a simple thing, but best to have it check out girl.
Everyone have a great day, I am going to go give a lesson and ride. I have a great pic to share on the bird forum but I have to upload it to Photo bucket later! grin kissie

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, we have had a pretty mild summer too so far. And I have been grateful for it. I am trying hard not complain now that the heat is coming in. And my problem is not so much summer as my own body betraying me and not being able to tolerate as much as it used to. I will try to keep my complaints down to a whimper now and then.
Good morning. I woke up not remembering what day it was. Wondering if it was a weekend or a weekday. I am drinking my coffee now and settling into the idea that it is Tuesday. I don't usually have this problem. I wake aware most days. So it felt odd.
When I take Ted to school I need to stop and do some shopping today.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
1k Posts
1k Posts
Good morning.I will be watering half of my garden today. I'm harvesting tomatoes every day and I am waiting for the peaches to ripen. I applied for a job at two places in town,I hope that I get called for an interview.

Waiting for fall...
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I will cross my fingers for you, Enrique. Are they summer jobs or ones that can work around your school schedule?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
good luck enrique! jobs are hard to come by these days.

how is everyone this fine morning? speaking of work, I don't leave for work for another hour. I'm trying to find quiet things to do so I don't wake up the kidos.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
1k Posts
1k Posts
I will be working part time.i will work for only three hours on school days.

Waiting for fall...
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
ay-yi-yi! My day fell apart well before 9 AM. I hate when the world explodes so early in the morning. boohoo

The seat of my wheelchair is tearing away from where it is riveted to the frame. So, I called the medical supply house which provides my chair and they gave me SUCH a hard time... insisting on a skajillion dollars before they will fix the chair! My insurance is supposed to cover all this sort of thing but they are insisting it doesn't. I can't use the chair as is and I can't be without it.

So I called the case manager of the adult w/ disabilities agency & she did some research & had me call my insurance place. So... I had to call my primary, have him generate an Rx & FAX it to the chair company who will contact my insurance to get a "prior authorization" and then replace/repair the chair.

Meantime, I am sitting in my walker. Not the safest place to be perched but far safer than the breaking seat of the wheelchair.

So of course, my girl had to go without me on the errands & we cancelled the fun stuff I had planned.

Everyone is saying it can take up to a month to replace the chair!

yikes

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,988
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image