OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
wavy

Iced coffee and cool breezes anyone?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Oh dear. We were over our limit.

Hi Merme.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Iced coffee sounds wonderful, Merme. I take milk & sugar in mine please.

Sheri--Rod "forgets" when doing the yard work as well.. It infuriates me as well. I would like to see waht would happen if I "forgot" and did something like that to something of his, ya know???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
As no one seems to be around, I am going to call it a night and get some sleep. I wish everyone a good night, and sweet dreams. wavy

________

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Sorry I disappeared for a bit. I spoke w/ my sister Nancy/Wildwood flower who moved last weekend from MD to PA and then went on a 5 day trip for her work! So we haven't been able to touch bases and had much to catch up on.

Now it is late and I am heading to bed.

Safe away home O my palies, and sweet dreams to you all.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
1k Posts
1k Posts
Anyone still around? I just drank the last cup of french vanilla coffee and I'm going to make some more.

Waiting for fall...
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Enrique that would be wonderful----I am in dire need of a cup of coffee.
and flavored would be delicious!!!

BTW: Good Morning everyone

OOps,. sorry---I thought Enrique was here just now--and then I saw he was here VERY early this morning--- blush

________

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
wavy

Good morning, everybody!

I hope it is a fine weather day wherever you are!

My girl just arrived, so I have to get busy. Be back in a bit!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
gosh, when I'm away for even a day I feel like I missed so much.
doesn't seem there was much going on though.
it's just me and kidos this evening. hubby reluctantly ran off with his fam to help an aunt move. they'll be gone overnight.
I feel like such a lazy person these past few days. I'm engrossed in this book, that I just can't put down. it seem like all i've done the past 24 hours is read and sleep. a few bites of food and conversation now and then. but, then again, the down time feels nice. I work myself too much sometimes.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I would be out working if it weren't too hot. Maybe I can get an earlier start tomorrow. I have a hundred trees to trim or top or both. A little at a time. I now realize I should have started a month or two ago.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
wavy

My house feels like a Ghost Town without Maxi here. I keep expecting to see Tumbleweeds blowing across my living room floor.

My sister in PA treated me to Chinese Food tonight. She let me use her credit card to call in an order at a new place in a nearby town which delivers to my town. I am really looking forward to it!

There is another Chinese restaurant which will deliver here, but only if they get three separate orders from three houses to make it "worth the trip". So, they take your order and then you wait to see what happens. If they get three, they'll bring your food; if not, they don't. You can wait for hours or you can wait for nothing. So of course many of us who live here are psyched that there is a new, sorta local place which will deliver.

I've also got my nose in a good book, Cricket. I'm reading another one of Janet Evanovich's series... Lean Mean Thirteen. Her novels are set in Trenton, NJ where most of my family lives so reading her is like a whacky visit home. She is very humorous.

Tina I hope your tree work goes well for you. Big job.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
that's so cool about the chinese food merme. you and your sister are 'having dinner' together miles apart.
I'm strickly a stephen king and dean koontz reader but a coworker of mine convienced me to read the first twilight book, and I'm hooked on it. rolz I read so long and get disgusted at how predictable and simple and stupid the book is. I take a break, then before you know it I"m picking up the simple book again! there must be subliminal messages in there?!? lol I've been sucked in with the rest of the sheep-people! yikes

Cricket

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme

I've also got my nose in a good book, Cricket. I'm reading another one of Janet Evanovich's series... Lean Mean Thirteen. Her novels are set in Trenton, NJ where most of my family lives so reading her is like a whacky visit home. She is very humorous.
Merme

merme--I too Like to read that series--my problem is I usually either read them in order or keep track of which ones I have read when I begin a series. Well, sad to say I did not this time. so it will either be begin again at the beginning agaion or give it up for now. I am thinking of reading my nero Wolfe over again instead.
....Maxi will be back soon, and he will have such storeis to tell you.----

Tina--wow that seems like a lot of work to be doing--take it easy & don't overdo.

Cricket---I think everyone deserves some time "off" as it were, and reading is good for the soul.

________

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
reading IS good, carol jean. I usually just read (and crochet) in the winter, but this summer has been SO hot, it is just as miserable as the cold cold of winter. so, I'm laying low inside. I keep waiting for this heat to break but it's only barely july. august is usually our hottest month.
I've even been thinking about doing some crochet. no blanket or anything that would be hot on my lap, but maybe one of those dollie things??? I have some thin thread...?

Cricket

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
that sounds heavenly cricket--I love hand sewn doilies.
I bought several on e-bay already. sadly I cannot crochet--but I love to use them around the house.

Reading is relaxing I find.

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I just wrote a lengthy post and it went away. Who took it? [Linked Image]

Don't be lonely Merme. You have your virtual friends. [Linked Image]

Your sister is sweet. I suppose you and your neighbors have to make sure everyone on the street is in the mood for Chinese food or make sure you have snacks on hand.

I'm reading a book for my book club that I wouldn't have chosen myself. It's A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It's humorous and good.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Needle work is cool, Cricket. I've always wanted to learn how to "tat"-- whatever that is. I think I have a book around here somewhere with instructions. When I'm not so crashingly exhausted, I will tell you all about one of my favorite books.

Oh what the heck? Here's a quote from it:

Few women appreciate the importance of mending, forgetting entirely the old proverb, “A stitch in time saves nine.” Every housewife should form the habit of doing the weekly mending each week instead of allowing it to accumulate until it becomes a burden. Carefully mended garments denote thrift, industry, and economy; therefore, every woman and every girl should take pride in knowing how to darn a pair of stockings, to patch a worn garment, and mend a tear.

Mary Brooks Picken
(Woman’s Institute Library of Dressmaking:
Sewing Materials, 1923)

Anywho... The realtors came yesterday. We call them the "greenies". They'll be marketing our house (which we call "The Compound") as an Urban Farm. It will be on the market next Friday. They are much better than the first realtor we had out here who spent an entire 5 seconds in the garden & told me I had to fold the towels like Martha Stewart. Get a life. I know there are folks out there for whom a perfectly folded towel is the be-all end-all in life. But those folks are not going to be interested in an urban farm

Feeling sorry for all y'all in Texas. John's family is there and they, too, are sweltering.

Enjoy the rest of the evening!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Marica, I totally missed that you're moving. Where ya going?

Haven't read that book. :wink:

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I'm making a fresh cup of coffee in the French Press. I can't wait! I am tired tonight and this will help me relax.

Yes, Sheri, thank God for internet friends! That's why my sister bought me this upgraded computer because it is lonesome here.

Carol Jean, the Evanovich series is numbered in the titles. So, if you've read One For The Money, you've read the first book. If, however, you are starting with Lean Mean Thirteen, you've missed the first 12. Easy to keep track!

Time to relax, so I'll see you all tomorrow.

Safe away home O palies mine, and sweet sleep to you all!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour

I'm reading a book for my book club that I wouldn't have chosen myself. It's A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It's humorous and good.

Sheri - I LOVED that book!!! I read it 8 years ago at the beach at the end of summer. I love his humor - I wish he would write a new book already - I keep checking online, but nothing. I laughed so much through that book!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme

Carol Jean, the Evanovich series is numbered in the titles. So, if you've read One For The Money, you've read the first book. If, however, you are starting with Lean Mean Thirteen, you've missed the first 12. Easy to keep track!
Merme

Thanks for trying to help me, merme, but I know how the series works--what I do not remeber is which ones i have read-- blush you see, the first one I read was 'lean mean 13'. THAT was when I discovered how the series was titled. But since I had to order the books from the big library in another town I could not just read them at my leasure as i waneted to.. that still would of been ok IF I had kept track of the ones I did read but I did not--sad to say.

Good night everyone I too am tired & will go get some sleep wavy

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
that's good to know Lynne since I'm on page 5 or 6. Going to read right now.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good night, Sheri. I think I will head to bed soon too. Even though it is early and a Saturday night. I have plans for my day tomorrow.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Good Night all,
We had a good day today- the pool is up but they didn't listen to me and it is not level so we may have to empty it and get more dirt to level it... being in the mtns our yard is slanted... I told them to put the dirt we brought on the low side and make it as high as the high side--- did anyone pay attention to me- no they just dumped it in the middle and brought it out to the edges.. so it's still at a slant... so we can't fill it all the way anyway... water won't go to waste but I really didn't want to fill it twice... we had a lot of help getting the dirt back there- Joseph and his friend were here and unloaded it from truck and wheelbarrowed it to back yard.. our son came over too and helped too so the biggest part is done-- just need to get another load of dirt and redo what we can ...hopefully this week we can get that done and be swimming soon,,, sure hot enough ... the boys also spread the mulch we got in the front yard - looks so much better out there...
Well off to get to bed and get another start tomorrow... nite all sleep well.
Nana

[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
well, night night all. I'm off to bed too, I guess.
I feel restless even though I can feel my eyes closing on some long blinks.
what's for breakfast???
I'll make the coffee! thumbup

I know it's early, but I went through my seed stash today and picked out a few things I could start indoors that would be nice and ready once our temps 'chill' out a bit. Of course, I won't put anything new in the ground till we start getting regular rain agian. It seems I'm growing for the deer these days with the drought and all.

nana, same thing happened with our pool. our yard is sloped. they built up one side under where the pool would go with some stablized sand, but I suggested why not put a little more sand on the side that started out low. that way when things settle, there's more of a chance it will be level. I got rolled eyes,...and "oh no this is stabilized sand...it's not going anywhere". but guess what?!!! the pool still slopes to the original low side. lol

night night! wavy

Cricket

1k Posts
1k Posts
Good morning.I don't feel like making breakfast today;I've been cooking breakfast,lunch,and dinner for the past week. My mom made some salsa with some tomatoes,tomatillos,and peppers from my garden.

Waiting for fall...
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Your salsa sounds good, Enrique. And super fresh too.
Good morning. I am up. Taking something for my headache with my first cup. Not my best morning but I will shake it off soon.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
1k Posts
1k Posts
Yesterday when I was harvesting tomatoes,an unexpected visitor arrived in my garden. It was a hummimgbird. It flew to my marigolds,then spent a while at he Hollyhocks before flying off to visit some more flowers elsewhere.

Waiting for fall...
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
You guys & your pool stories made me laugh! Thanks. "Why don't they listen?" Some of the hair-brained "solutions" they come up with are a laugh a minute-- except that we eventually have to find a solution to their solution. My favorites in involve ropes, chains, & trucks!

Yes! We are moving from Cincinnati to Mississippi. A dream come true. And totally unexpected, John just took advantage of an opportunity... and... poof! Here we are working frantically to get this place ready to sell, find a farm (50-100 acres), keep the garden going, and get ready for Kat's wedding, and keep up with my business and other obligations... .

I have to say, it's so nice to be a part of The Gardeners' Forum. It's an oasis of sanity. neener

John just made cherry cheese turnovers for breakfast. Then off to the grocery store. Then the contractors show up and we start... PAINTING again. The contractors are almost done. We invited them to Sunday Supper tonight to thank them for a job well done. Now if they'd just get out of here!

Enjoy the day!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Well there is no trucks involved in our solution to the problem with our pool.. woudn't be able to get in our back yard ... so far we will just live with it this yr and do it right next summer...
Well hubby just got up... Mom is due for her second round of meds this morning and I will head for the shower after she has them... then I will fix breakfast for all of us... sis is suppossed to be picking her up today for her son's birhtday party... don't know when yet... we have to go and get the pool chemicals and a solar blanket for it today... want it to be warm enough to swim in soon...
Be back in a little while... hitting the shower and then cooking- need to get moving before I don't want to anymore.
Nana

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
That's right to Mississippi. I remember now. My brain is a little slow.

Isn't it funny how we fix everything up to sell it. Some friends of mine lived in a little house that was falling apart. They had bought it new but never did a thing to keep it up. Their back yard had never been landscaped and the grass or what I call grass was probably 4 feet high. It was so bad the kids couldn't go out back for fear of mice and snakes. They cut the front yard when the neighbors complained. Well, they bought some land down a dirt road and proceeded to build a beautiful house. To sell their little house they made it look beautiful. Put in hardwood floors, put up new shutters, painted inside and out, hired a landscape company - it was beautiful. Smaller than the new one but beautiful. Now they live in the new 3600 sq ft house and neither the front or the back yard are landscaped. I'm not sure what the intention was but shutters have never been put up and the front door, which is wood, has never been painted. It's a wreck. I'd rather live in the little fixed up house.

Cherry cheese turnovers sound yummy. I had an egg white omelet with cherry tomatoes from my garden.

Have you looked at any acreage in MS yet?

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
jeepers it's 11:00. Gotta get ready for church. Later.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
You're right about the fixing up! Some of this stuff we could have been doing little by little. But I was always too busy fixing up the garden. I should post some before & after pics of the garden-- from when we moved in to now. It's really come a long long way.

As for your friends-- hum. Sounds like they should have stayed in the little house. But to each his own!

We looked on our own-- just scouting out the area-- when we went down last time. Week after this, we're going down again to get serious. We were encouraged just looking at property that we found on internet sites. It's northeast MS, so lots of wooded, rolling land. Lots of red clay! Like here, we had to bag on the first realtor. Her idea of a farm was a McMansion on a 5 acre lot in a subdivision. We want the directions to our house to read: turn off the paved road!!

Back at it.

[Linked Image]

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
wavy

Goodmorning, everybody!

I had leftover lo mein w/ shrimp for breakfast. It was yumsville!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I live off the "pavement ends ahead" sign. I like it except the dust and dirt in my car.
John's elderly aunt was annoyed with some neighbors near her home of about 40 years (300 sq, ft). So we bought her a small mobile home very near our house (600 sq ft). She was thrilled with it. She put her house on the market and we fixed it up. New roof, paint inside and out, etc. The nasty neighbors moved away and she loved her old home all fixed up. Decided to stay. We ended up not losing anything on the mobile home in the end. We rented it to my oldest daughter for a while for the space rent and then when she had a better place we sold it for what we paid. And Aunt Glenna had some peace of mind. (Priceless!)
Today I planned on trimming some trees. But look as hard as I can and I cannot locate any bar oil for the pole saw. I did find the battery acid I was searching for last week so the bar oil may turn up next week. I won't drive out and buy any today due to an event down the road and the traffic involved. I decided to work on my sprinkler system instead. That is going along swimmingly (pun intended).

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Merme-- I *love* leftover chinese for breakfast!

People have been saying that now that the house is all fixed up, we'll want to stay. No. Not a chance. Never in a million years.

[Linked Image]

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Tina I would like to be playing in a sprinkler system today. We hit a heat wave, I think... we are all the way up to 70 degrees and I'm sweltering! boohoo

I'm thinking of having leftover Chinese for my lunch, too!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
At 70 I am getting chilly and wearing long sleeves, Merme.
I am finished outdoors for the bulk of today. It is hot, into the upper 90's already. I may just look at pillows pretty soon. And leave the rest of the outdoor stuff for later.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I'd melt in those temperatures, Tina!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Marica
...We want the directions to our house to read: turn off the paved road!!

Back at it.
where we live, the pavement ends at our driveway,which is about 200 ft long, give or take. but we live far enough out, that all directions in our area begin with "... when you get to the 4 way stop..."

and if you are from here, you know which 4 way i'm talking about. if you aren't, then i give directions in terms of "when you get to the little church, slow down, the turn is in .4 miles and is not marked"

i love living out in the woods grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image