Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Good morning! wavy

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Tina, sorry to hear about the accident but so glad to hear that no one was hurt...except your van of course.

James' extended family from Louisiana heads for home today. Sad to see them go but will be nice to have our lives back after a week of being complete chaos. We had dinner with the whole family almost every night for the last week. To say that my house work has been neglected is an understatement. Tonight I will get back at it. One of James' aunts is getting married in September. We are considering heading to Louisiana for the wedding. Would be fun to see more of the family. We will see.

Still having child care issues and am trying to get that all worked out.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am still laughing about Marica's box turtles.
It is nice to have company, Jess. But also so nice to have your breathing room to yourself again when they leave.
I walked out on my front porch and walked into a mess. I had purchased some plant food granules, organic and expensive. I put it on the front porch to use on my hanging pots out there. A critter, probably raccoon, had spread it all over the porch for me. Both bags. I swept most of it up and re-bagged it. It is going into a cabinet but that doesn't always deter a mischievous 'coon. Life in the boonies can be interesting.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Morning
I didn't sleep in but got busy makeing room in freezer for chicken... now it is happily freezing away for meals later..
I may get boys later if Joseph calls for me to come get them... do have to vacuum rest of house and check out the basement too . Joe spent a couple hours dowm there cleaning last night.. after he cleaned up all the branches from the storm the night before...
Well off to shower and see what else I can get done today.
Nana

[Linked Image]
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
The coons make a mess at our house too, Tina. It can be very frustrating! Hope you are able to keep them out of it.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Raccoons are so fun to watch. I'm thinking this must be a mama with babies coming up to play. Most of the adults we've had were a little tidier. We haven't had as many in the last few years since The biggest, closest wildfires.
I went out and took care of my errands. It is hot out there already. I am waiting for a claims adjuster to check out my poor van now.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Good luck with the claims adjuster. Hopefully they treat you right.

Raccoons are fun to watch but they sure make a mess at my house. What gets me the most is when they poop in my bird feeder. rolz

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Mine poop on the roof. I have a gable type thing on the roof and under the little overhang eave thing they do their thing. They all do it there year after year. We get up there with a shovel and a bag once in a while and clean it up. But I'm kind of glad they do it in one place and not everywhere they go. I don't have to worry about stepping in it. A lot like my kids gerbils many years ago. They chose one place in one of those tube playground cages, so all I ever had to do was pop that tube out and replace it with another and tote the dirty one away for cleaning. That worked for me.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I used to feed the coons around here, untill they started taking off with the 30 lb bag of dog food. AND the stainless dog food bowls. they ARE cute little boogers, but sure can swipe your stuff!

I had another short work day today, tomorrow will also be a short one and I'm off on Friday. me does need a new job, or a side job!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome home, Cricket. A raise and the hours you have could be a good thing too. We can all dream.
I have been on the phone with insurance people. The other party's insurance is going to cover my repairs. They will also spring for a rental but I told the lady I really didn't need that. So we are moving right along in honesty and good will around here. And happy feelings. I am so happy it is going smoothly now that the worst is over (I hope).

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
So, tina.....I only read back (3) you were in an accident? are you ok?

I do like my hours and most of the time I do like having days off here and there. but with hubby bouncing around from side job to side job due to the economy, I'd rather just be working everyday. We have gotten real used to eating around here and don't really want to give that up! lol

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Another van ran a red and t-boned mine yesterday. Yes, everyone was ok. The other insurance is covering repairs or whatever on mine so I am feeling pretty good right now altogether.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I'm glad you and the other driver is ok.

Cricket

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Tina, I had to read back and find out about those box turtles. Marica is so funny.

Cricket, I know what you mean. I keep thinking I'd like to have more time off but I'm actually happy to have a job. I know a lot of people who have been laid off or actually fired lately.

Jess, what type of child care problems are you having? For work?

I think you're all nuts for feeding the raccoons. They are too destructive to win my love even though they are cute. They've torn up my mothers porch too many times.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I missed the box turtle story too, sheri. maybe I should go back and read. I could tell you of a story of a friend of mine, whose older brother told her they were 'box turtle hunting' and she had to hold the bag. she'd get a big treat if she didn't tell mom and dad what they were doing. I won't say exactly what they were actually hunting, but I think it had more to do with mushrooms than turtles! bow

some people keep racoons as pets! I can't see that. I think our little puppy is destructive. we now have to keep the trash locked up and make sure he potties good before night time comes, and keep all stuffed animals we want to keep out of reach. he is a big mess, withOUT the oposible thumb (coon's do have a thumb right,???)

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I do not feed the raccoons. They come and help themselves to any edibles they can find whether they are edible or not. I don't feed my pets outdoors at all or leave anything out that may attract them or any other scrounging wildlife if I can help it.
How are you doing, Sheri?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I'm doing ok Tina. glad you didn't get messed up in the wreck.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, I am very grateful that there were no injuries for anyone.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hello everyone wavy

I won't be here long,,,,, The President is about to come on and I wanna hear his speech about health care,,
Has anyone seen Merme today? I hope she is feeling okay.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I hope Merme is OK as well.
Presidential speeches; I like the highlights later myself. And commentaries by the pro's and con's afterwards.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I cannot believe how much junk I tuck away in my car. I cleaned it out tonight because I'm not sure of the situation it will be stored in while being repaired. That took me much longer than I thought it would or should. And although the sun went down it is still hot and sticky out there.
Shower time. I will say good night now.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
I'm back! I know no one missed me. LOL
Coons.. The only good coon is a Dead coon. They are cute but terribly destructive and carry diseases. When you live in the country and a very wooded area they are all over. They are not too bad this year, but for a while they find certain Hummer feeders and drain them like baby bottles.
Then they destroy the sunflower feeders. Nothing deters them short of a shot gun.
I have had to hang most of my hummer feeders up under the eves of my house, I wont shoot them unless they are becoming a nusance. And relocating them as some people think works is a terrible thing, If you trap them and take them out of there territory they are sure as dead anyway, the other coons will attack them. they do not belong. Michigan has a law that says you may shoot them at anytime they are a nusance. And thats all the time. I love wildlife but feeding them and encouraging them is a bad thing, it;s like the people who kept feeding the Canada goose, now they never leave in some areas.
We wanted to install a cat door for my kittys but no way with coons, we would have a coon party in the house the first night. LOL
Hope everyone is ok. Tina, glad to hear you are ok.
Rain Rain Rain here, its a weird summer in Michigan. I fear my tomatoes will never ripen, not hot enough. rspb

Last edited by Ditchy; Jul 23rd, 2009 at 04:30 AM.

[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Good Morning Kim wavy Of course we missed you grin

I don't have a problem with raccoons where I live* counting another Blessing as I type that*
Send some of that rain back this way it rained off and on for two days but it wasn't enough to even soften the ground egad
This week is almost over clap
I've got to go clean the hummingbird feeder and refill before I go to work,,
Everyone,,,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. Yes we missed you, Kim.
I have a day started. I hope it all goes well and my car is repaired in a speedy manner.
I also hope everyone else has an awesome day.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Bestofour
Jess, what type of child care problems are you having? For work?

I think you're all nuts for feeding the raccoons. They are too destructive to win my love even though they are cute. They've torn up my mothers porch too many times.

Our daycare is or was I guess I should say, a center that was in an assisted living building. The people that opened the assisted living had a vision of bridging the gap between generations so they put a daycare center in the building. That was almost 4 years ago. On January 1st the building was sold. The new owners decided that they did not want to deal with a daycare center and on July 1st gave all of us a letter saying that we had to find other arrangements because they were closing on July 10th. We live in a small town (we actually live in the country but the town is small) and daycare is not easy to find. There are not many openings at any of the daycares and this was the only center. The director at the center (who has no ties with the owners of the building) has been working hard to find a new location for the daycare to move to. Things have just been moving slow and none of us know if anything is going to go through or not. In the meantime our neighbor's daughter, who is in her early 20s and lives at home and was working at the center, has been watching Tristen. This has been a perfect fit. She is a school teacher and it was perfect for her to work at the center in the summer. She was working with the school age kids so Tristen knows her very well. She has been taking him to swimming lessons, making projects, baking cookies and just having fun with Tristen. But, she is moving to Italy on August 23rd to teach over there for 4 months. So, I need to have something else lined up by then and it has not been going well. Now that I wrote you a book.....I will go. lol

Sheri, I don't feed the raccoons either. They are pesky little buggers!

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Morning , got up early and managed to get Mom meds and breakfast done...now I need to convince myself to start going thru my coupons and clip ,sort, get rid of expired ones been neglecting that chore lately... got to work on getting rest of house cleaned up too- got company coming next week- nephew and his family- one of which is baby girl so will have to baby proof too- been awhile since I had to do that...
My son is at doc now finding out what they can do for his hand - sure hope he can get it fixed without to much trouble...
We don't have racoons here but in my daughters neighborhood they do- lots of ponds over there and they get into them and the trash cans,they have coyotes too and my neighbor said he saw on here a couple weeks ago we've seen fox, lots of rabbits and the hawks too,as long as we don't have a bear I am fine... they do ocme down occassionally...it's not good to feed the wild animals and I wouldn't have a pet door here either- though they do have the ones that only work with the electronic collars.

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I hope your son's hand turns out to be an easy fix, Nana.
Well, my van is at the shop. He said two weeks max so I am going to count down. Still have make sure the insurance company OK's the estimate before they really get too hands on with it. So the real count down will start from then. I guess the floor of my van buckled a little too but he didn't think the frame was involved.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
wow, that's a long time without your van tina. but, you did say you had a rental didn't you?
you guys talking about doggie doors reminded me of when we lived at the old house. our goofy dog would go over to the nieghbors and go through HER doggie door, and just hang out with them! they didn't even have a dog of themselves. I was so embarrased when she told us about that. then she confessed she gave Poochie lunchmeat and Oreo's every time she would 'visit'! lol I get the feeling Poochie wasn't as big of a bother as I first thought! what a sneaky little raskal! no wonder that dog was so fat! haha

Cricket

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Cute story, Cricket!!

It is awfully quiet in here today. I guess everyone is busy. It finally warmed up here. It is about 85 right now....feels good!

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
I have been in and out a lot.. tired today and about half asleep I guess, Joseph is keeping the boys at home since Carrie is working late today.. I finished all my freezing and cleaned up the crocks and roaster.. love thos crock pot bags ..sure beats soaking and cleaning out a messy crock, roaster I just soaked with bounce... cleaned up really easy.
It's 90 * right now and really still outside- bet it storms later feels humid and sticky..
Well off to get something done... feel like I haven't really done anything today.
Nana

[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I just came in from watering the garden. everything was wilting, even the marigolds! we've had some showers (finally) the past couple of days. I thought it was enough to skip watering, but I guess since the ground is so cracked and dry it all just ran off. It was thundering while I was watering. I felt like I was wasting my time, that surely rain was on the way. but, now looking out the window it couldn't be any sunnier.

It's almost 6 p.m. do you know where your Merme is???
(i'm sure more than half of you don't remember those commercials - "it's 10 o'clock and do you know where your children are:)

Cricket

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i remember those commercials cricket! momma used to laugh, and say "the real question is, it is ten pm, do you know where your parents are?" lol

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
I remember those commercials too... I will look for Merme on facebook and google chat see if I can see her that way.. if not will call her.
Joe went to PT this afternoon..he is feeling better every day but I still worry he isn't all the way back... has twinges once in a while.. no fun getting old.
I think I am going to order chinese tonight- am tired still and it's to hot to cook... house just won't cool off cause it's humid too... someone else cooking sounds really good to me right now..
Nana

[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
chinese sounds good to me tonight. but nowhere to order from. oh well.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
i remember those commercials cricket! momma used to laugh, and say "the real question is, it is ten pm, do you know where your parents are?" lol

Right!!! haha

just came in from throwing some baseballs around with the kidos, 2nd round of catch today! (fun!). it is STILL thundering way off in the distance, and STILL NO rain!
...time to pull up the dead non blooming canna's and plant some cactus! haha
Man........if you can't grow canna's in south texas without actually watering them, it's DRY!!

the scarry part is, all the oaks we have around the house! they have shallow roots and if it EVER rains here again seriously for several days in a row those old oaks are gonna fall over.

get any rain today, diane?

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
My son and I have been tossing a tennis ball for the dogs in the house. That is always a blast.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
dogs are the best, tina! we like to play hide and seek with our dogs using their stuffed toy's. they feel so proud when they 'hunt it up'.

I am determined to teach our dogs to chase the wild fly away balls! boy, that bbq we went to last weekend made me realize the potential of our dogs.
these lab pups were retrieving EVERYTHING and alway bringing the ball to the picture. it was hillarious and amazing.

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I worked on teaching Black Butt to play hide and seek and find Jonni. He loves that game. I'll hold his eyes and she'll hide. I wanted the dog to learn so he could hunt up teddy for me. Ted doesn't talk and doesn't answer when he is called. So I worried about him. But he won't hide either and if I send the dog to 'find ted' he is a little confused. After 9 years he is getting it but Ted is better about making some kind of noise when called too.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Good evening!

Hope Merme was found!

Just a short report this evening. I do not like ticks and I especially do not like them on me. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but John has no vision in his right eye. Left is o.k., but in order to read or do close up work, he needs reading glasses and needs to stick a magnifying glass-- and his is rather large-- in between him, his glasses and what he's looking at. So you can imagine the sight we must have been. Me standing there in front of the truck idling in Bubba's Beer, Bait & Ammo Shop parking lot, and John with his nose pressed to his magnifying glass searching me for ticks. This was of course after I pulled one off my ear.

Today went well, but we're tired. There are now 4 properties on the list, and we've come to the realization that we are going to have to build a house. We thought we'd find a property with at least some sort of structure on it, even if we did have to build one suitable for the long haul. No such luck.

Anywhooo. Back to Cincinnati tomorrow.

Have a restful evening, all!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wavy hi marica. good luck. and did you see my answer to your question about cricket and jonni13 a couple coffee houses ago? i worry that "newbies" won't figure us out and then feel bad. i'd rather give the condensed version.

and about the tick inspection. my husband is just "blind as a bat" so we always did the tick inspection in the shower :wink:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image