Print Thread
Rate Thread
#20414 Apr 12th, 2007 at 05:01 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
so I finally waded-(much rain here) out to my raised garden to check how my asparagus fared with the several nights of below freezing weather. They did not--most of the stalks, if not all, are frozen.--
will the plant itself survive? prayers--I cannot ever remember having this problem "at the farm"--but surely we have had weather like this in years past why-----luckily I did have a few meals from my bed before this happened------

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #22328 Apr 14th, 2007 at 07:26 AM
Actually, I just read up on this!
Asparagus is a perennial, so it should come back!

Some other points to the article:
The first year, let all the spears shoot up and leaf out. This helps to nourish the growing roots which, in turn, supply the rhizomes with nutrients to feed the plant.
The second spring you can harvest some of the shoots, but when the shoots begin to look spindly, let them grow up and leaf out.
By the third spring, the asparagus should produce spears in full force over a long season (8-12 weeks!)

It also says that by early summer, when spears are less than 1/4 in. wide, stop harvesting and let those spears develop ferny foliage (which builds food reserves for next year's crop.) In cold winter climates, leave the dried growth over winter so it can catch insulating snow, then remove the foliage in early spring.

Hope this helps,
JoAnn

AgnusDeiHmschl #22558 Apr 14th, 2007 at 02:31 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
hello---This is the 2nd year for this bed--(we moved a few years back) I had just harvested a bit of my new asparagus and then the late freeze hit---perhpas it will come back this year to help with next year--& I guess I will leave well enough alone, and not harvest any more this year :( ---but thanks for your help--and while I HAD left the asapagus go over last winter I did not really know what I was doing--but apparently I did good!!!

________

JunieGirl #29098 Apr 23rd, 2007 at 05:21 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
good news--good news---my asparagus did not die out as a result of the freeze. But is is slow coming back. I was so happy to see it living I weeded & mulched & fussed with it quite a bit on Saturday---and with the rains supposedly coming all is well--but I am thinking I will not harvet anymore this season---

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image